• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
synsee

Vhs To Dvd

I have EMC8 and I'd like to take my family VHS tapes and put them on DVD. Can anyone help me with this. Is it even a doable task and will EMC8 be capable of the task. Hope someone out there has an answer for me. Thanks Synsee

First, you need a way of converting the analog video tapes to a digital input into your computer. There are A/D cards that can be installed internally or A/D "boxes" that are connected to you computer via a USB 2 device. If you have a digital camcorder, you may be able to use that as a pass through A/D converter. You will need the wires to connect the sound output from your VHS player to the sound card on your computer or to the A/D USB box. There are some video cards that have A/D converters built in.

Once you are in and connected, you use Media capture to get the VHS movies onto your computer. You can then edit them in VideoWave.

Please post your computer specs to see if it is up to the task. You will need a good video card and a large hard drive. On board sound chips may work but a cheap sound card would be better. If you have this information on your computer, please post that also.

If you are not sure, download and run "Belarc Adviser" (free) and post the applicable hardware specs from there.

I have EMC8 and I'd like to take my family VHS tapes and put them on DVD. Can anyone help me with this. Is it even a doable task and will EMC8 be capable of the task. Hope someone out there has an answer for me. Thanks Synsee

First, you need a way of converting the analog video tapes to a digital input into your computer. There are A/D cards that can be installed internally or A/D "boxes" that are connected to you computer via a USB 2 device. If you have a digital camcorder, you may be able to use that as a pass through A/D converter. You will need the wires to connect the sound output from your VHS player to the sound card on your computer or to the A/D USB box. There are some video cards that have A/D converters built in.

Once you are in and connected, you use Media capture to get the VHS movies onto your computer. You can then edit them in VideoWave.

Please post your computer specs to see if it is up to the task. You will need a good video card and a large hard drive. On board sound chips may work but a cheap sound card would be better. If you have this information on your computer, please post that also.

If you are not sure, download and run "Belarc Adviser" (free) and post the applicable hardware specs from there.

For me i used a few cables i got from a parts outlet, i got a RCA to ear jack cable that went from the red and white audio points at the back of the VHS unit, and ported that into my TV capture card (line IN port) and then useing a strait Yellow S-video cable i went from the s-video plug beside the red and white one on the back of the VHS to the s-video input on my TV capture card, then i changed the input channel on my tv software to show S-video and from there you can use Media import on EMC8 or the TV software to capture the video you want....

I recoreded them as Mpeg2 (or AVI) and then i just used the dvd making point in EMC to make my DVD,

this may sound tecnical , but it worked well for me...

But as Skins has said, you do need a import point, IE: a TV card?, or a A/D converter??,

Good luck and hope was as clear as mud

Can you suggest a good A/D Box to use? I don't want to get involved installing cards. I tried copying personal VHS tapes to computer, but couldn't get audio. Will a box solve that problem?

How were you copying the tapes to your computer? What are you using as a capture device?

Remember that you need the audio out of the VHS player to the audio in on your computer. Go to Windows/Control Panel/ Sounds and Audio devices and make sure that your line in is not muted. If you need help with this, let me know and I'll post further directions or an image. A box may make it easier but it will not solve a problem if you have one.

For a recommendation, it depends on your computer, how many tapes you want to capture, what else you want to do - capture LP without messing around with wires and of course your budget. Go to something like Tiger Direct or Buy.com and read up on the features. If you have a relatively fast computer and USB 2 ports, than even as simple and relatively inexpensive capture device will work.

Can you suggest a good A/D Box to use? I don't want to get involved installing cards. I tried copying personal VHS tapes to computer, but couldn't get audio. Will a box solve that problem?