Sign in to follow this  
captjlddavis

CRX230EE in XP-SP2

Win xp home SP2

1. From my reading, it looks like ECDC 5.0 Platinum ( with updates) is NOT compatible with xp home- sp2 - Can anyone confirm that this is true before I get into any further trouble.

2. Now that the "list" is not available, can anyone tell me if:

Sony CRX 230 EE is also compatible ?

Any information greatly appreciated

regards:captjlddavis

Evening Captain,

(1) XP's SP-2 broke so many things that Roxio declared they couldn't support ECDC 5 in SP-2. It seems from reports in the forums that ECDC5 will work okay in SP-2 most times, it just isn't guaranteed to work in there. Users say it will work if ECDC is installed after you've applied the SP-2 update.

(2) Your CRX230EE was supported first in 535v. (That's version 5 with the big 5.3.5.10 updater and the DriveUp patch "V" applied)

(1) XP's SP-2 broke so many things that Roxio declared they couldn't support ECDC 5 in SP-2. It seems from reports in the forums that ECDC5 will work okay in SP-2 most times, it just isn't guaranteed to work in there. Users say it will work if ECDC is installed after you've applied the SP-2 update.

Thanks - My wife is getting a new computer, so I have to install everything .....

It comes with xp-sp2 installed - so I may give it a go as there should not be anything conflicting on there.

I have the following from MY install:(I show EZCD ver 5.4.3.21 SP10)

Easy CD Crreator 5.0 (Platinum) Original DISK

Following D/L updates

DriveUp5.3.5p.exe

ecdc_v5.3.5.10_basic_enu.exe

ecdc_v5.3.5.10_plt_enu.exe

engforce.exe

roxizap.exe

Would you be so kind as to tell the sequence of installing these ?

(2) Your CRX230EE was supported first in 535v. (That's version 5 with the big 5.3.5.10 updater and the DriveUp patch "V" applied)

Thanks again, That is encouraging. Is the Driver patch "V" you mention the one that I have (DriveUp5.3.5p.exe) or is it something different ?

Hello again, we're back.

Okay, you have a bunch of things and want to know what order to use/install them.

I think your 5.4.3.21 SP10 is a BASIC version of Easy CD Creator 5. If you got it bundled with a drive or a computer and you don't need a "CD key" when you install, then it's Basic.

If you bought it retail and you need a CD key to install, then it's the Platinum version.

Keep the 5.3.5.10 updater which applies to your type, Platinum or Basic, and set the other one aside. The Engforce program was made for another problem, and should also be set aside. Roxizap is a brute force uninstaller, so should also be set aside. DriveUp5.3.5p.exe is not the current DriveUp patch, so should be put aside.

You need to go to the Software Updates page (link at the left of this forum) and get the final DriveUp patch, DriveUp5.3.5v.exe. Once you have that, we're ready.

-Install ECDC from your CD. Ignore any complaints it can't find a supported drive, and carry on. DON'T restart the machine after this (XP doesn't like the early version's drivers)

-apply the 5.3.5.10 update which suits your ECDC, and then you can restart.

-apply the 5.3.5v DriveUp Patch.

That should have Easy Cd Creator installed and updated, if we're lucky. That last patch installs an entry for your CRX230EE, so your drive should now be "recognized" by CD Creator and CD Copier. (It might not be recognized by Direct CD, but I would suggest that is no loss)

Thank you for the quick reply.

If you bought it retail and you need a CD key to install, then it's the Platinum version.

I have the original disk - with Key#

Keep the 5.3.5.10 updater which applies to your type, Platinum or Basic,

Got it...

The Engforce program was made for another problem, and should also be set aside. Roxizap is a brute force uninstaller, so should also be set aside. DriveUp5.3.5p.exe is not the current DriveUp patch, so should be put aside.

OK - Got that also - D/L ' d =driveup5.3.5v.exe

You need to go to the Software Updates page (link at the left of this forum) and get the final DriveUp patch, DriveUp5.3.5v.exe. Once you have that, we're ready.

-Install ECDC from your CD. Ignore any complaints it can't find a supported drive, and carry on. DON'T restart the machine after this (XP doesn't like the early version's drivers)

-apply the 5.3.5.10 update which suits your ECDC, and then you can restart.

-apply the 5.3.5v DriveUp Patch.

That should have Easy Cd Creator installed and updated, if we're lucky. That last patch installs an entry for your CRX230EE, so your drive should now be "recognized" by CD Creator and CD Copier. (It might not be recognized by Direct CD, but I would suggest that is no loss)

Hopefully it will also get Direct CD - that was my main concern - but we shall see.

I appreciate your assistance. I will be attempting ? the install tommorow afternoon.

I will post back with the results.

thanks again

Oh, you didn't mention that you were after Direct CD, I think. That's always a touchy one.

Direct CD was written by a different crew, so it uses a different recognition system from CD Creator. The DriveUp patches are for Cd Creator.

Still, if it needs it I can patch a file for Direct CD for you. Come back and let me know.

Right, here we are in our own thread. (smile) It can get very confusing when two different members are on the same thread.

You mentioned that you use Total Commander and so you rely on Direct CD. That's okay as long as you never trust your ONLY copy of a valuable file to Direct CD.

DCD uses a different drive recognition system from CD Creator or CD Copier. Instead of registry entries which are easy to edit, it has a lookup table embedded in a file. The name of the file varies, depending on your operating system. What is required is a binary edit to the file to change the drivename in the lookup table.

Unless you are confident and competent at editing a binary file, the best idea is probably for you to email me a copy of your PWD_2K.SYS file so I can do the edit and send it back to you. I'll send you a private message (look up towards the right corner of the screen) with an email address you should send the file to.

What I'll be doing is looking for the entry for the highest member of the CRX series of drives, and zapping it to read CRX230EE. You then write the altered file back over the top of the old one, and Direct CD should recognize your drive.