• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Large Mp3 file

jimtn

Question

I have a 2 gb file of music I recorded off of my satellite dish. It is an MP3 file. Is there any way to edit this file using EMC 7, or do I have to go to EMC 9 to handle files of this size. My intention was to place this on a DVD after editing. I have several hundred 33's I want to put on DVDs, but since this project can't be done, I have not started on the 33's. I have read all the posts in this section and have learned very useful information, but have not seen this topic specifically addressed.

4 answers to this question

The file is 28 hours, and I do not remember the bit rate. Jan 06 Sirius did 28 hours of Elvis concerts and I got some rare items. I can play the file in Windows media player, and have cut some songs from the file using the WMP, but I cannot edit the file. I have not done the 33s because I want to do them on DVD not CD. I have some 60's jazz that I consider priceless, so I will do all of them and my other music in a good format. Thanks for the suggestions thus far.

WOW---a 2GB MP3 audio file. That is one humungus audio file !!! :) I have completed taking all of my old 45's, 78's and 33's (3 or 4 hundred I'm guessing) and changing them all to wav files and now have them all on Data CD's as well as making CDA's of many of them . My big problem was finding a player that still was good for playing 78's :huh: I have no idea what size audio files you can have with EMC 7, but my guess is that 2GB would be too large.

Frank...

Frank, when I had a 78 to deal with, I recorded it at 45 RPM, then I wrote a program to "speed it up".

Now, a 2GB file covering 28 hours works out to about 160 Kbps for the bit-rate. Pretty reasonable quality.

As for the 60's jazz, I would suggest that unless you have an exceptional turntable and cartridge/stylus, pristine records, and a truly golden ear, anything above the standard 44.1 Ksps, 16 bit, stereo sampling rate of a standard audio CD won't buy you anything except to take up more space, but I wouldn't go any less than that either. I would still create standard Audio CDs as well as your DVDs. The CDDA format is so pervasive that you should be able to play them anywhere for quite a long time to come. I would also store the .WAV files on Data CDs or DVDs for future use.

I have a 2 gb file of music I recorded off of my satellite dish. It is an MP3 file. Is there any way to edit this file using EMC 7, or do I have to go to EMC 9 to handle files of this size. My intention was to place this on a DVD after editing. I have several hundred 33's I want to put on DVDs, but since this project can't be done, I have not started on the 33's. I have read all the posts in this section and have learned very useful information, but have not seen this topic specifically addressed.

A 2 GB .MP3 file? What's the bit rate? How long is the playing time?

I don't think the audio editor that came with EMC 7 will handle that size file. You could try downloading GoldWave and see if that'll handle that size file. I suspect it might. Then you could split it up with that and handle it in EMC 7.

Sort of on a different topic, but just because you haven't been able to split this file up is no reason not to work on your LP collection. I hope you plan to capture those as .WAV files and make standard audio CDs as well as .MP3 files, so you have at least one high quality version of the original. Remember that .MP3 is a lossy compression system, and once you've converted to .MP3, you can't get all the original sound back.

WOW---a 2GB MP3 audio file. That is one humungus audio file !!! :) I have completed taking all of my old 45's, 78's and 33's (3 or 4 hundred I'm guessing) and changing them all to wav files and now have them all on Data CD's as well as making CDA's of many of them . My big problem was finding a player that still was good for playing 78's :huh: I have no idea what size audio files you can have with EMC 7, but my guess is that 2GB would be too large.

Frank...

Archived