• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Easy Media Creator 8 to 9 problem with Drag-to-Disc

hjsmithh

Question

I upgraded from Easy Media Creator 8 to 9 and now all my DVD+RW Drag-to-Discs are closed. How can I continue to add and update files on them?

I uninstalled Creator 9 and reinstalled Creator 8 and now I can update these DVD+RWs. How can I get Creator 9 Drag-to-Disc to do this?

8 answers to this question

I upgraded from Easy Media Creator 8 to 9 and now all my DVD+RW Drag-to-Discs are closed. How can I continue to add and update files on them?

I uninstalled Creator 9 and reinstalled Creator 8 and now I can update these DVD+RWs. How can I get Creator 9 Drag-to-Disc to do this?

I believe the general answer is, you can't. There're enough differences between the two versions that while you can read the discs written with version 8 in EMC 9, you can't write to them with Drag-to-Disc.

You'll also find that many consider Drag-to-Disc somewhat anathema (I almost never get to use that word) and either won't let it install, or if forced to install it as part of the package will quickly uninstall it because it's simply not considered reliable for anything except quickly moving data from one machine to another, especially if you're using RW media.

You can use Creator Classic to write multi-session discs that you can keep adding data to, and these will be writable from one version to the next, and that form of writing is considered stable and reliable, but again, for long-term storage, you want to use write-once discs, not the erasable variety.

Hope that helps!

I believe the general answer is, you can't. There're enough differences between the two versions that while you can read the discs written with version 8 in EMC 9, you can't write to them with Drag-to-Disc.

You'll also find that many consider Drag-to-Disc somewhat anathema (I almost never get to use that word) and either won't let it install, or if forced to install it as part of the package will quickly uninstall it because it's simply not considered reliable for anything except quickly moving data from one machine to another, especially if you're using RW media.

You can use Creator Classic to write multi-session discs that you can keep adding data to, and these will be writable from one version to the next, and that form of writing is considered stable and reliable, but again, for long-term storage, you want to use write-once discs, not the erasable variety.

Hope that helps!

Hello from my short experience with the D2D in version 9. It can not be written to uncle you reformat the DISK then you can copy the material back from your hard drive onto it as I see it. I have not had much experience, yet with this version, but this is what I have discovered with a DVD-RW Hope this is some help. Michelle

Hello from my short experience with the D2D in version 9. It can not be written to uncle you reformat the DISK then you can copy the material back from your hard drive onto it as I see it. I have not had much experience, yet with this version, but this is what I have discovered with a DVD-RW Hope this is some help. Michelle

Thanks for your help, but I will stay with version 8. I need to be compatible with friends using D2D in version 7 and 8. My new version 9 will just stay in the box.

Thanks for your help, but I will stay with version 8. I need to be compatible with friends using D2D in version 7 and 8. My new version 9 will just stay in the box.

I take it you and your friends are only using these discs to share files between systems, and not for longer term storage? If so, then that's an appropriate use of D2D, as long as your D2D disc never contains your only copy of an important file.

One other thing you might try if you're interested is uninstall EMC 8, install 9. Uninstall D2D. Insert your EMC 8 disc and do a custom install of just D2D. Then you'll have EMC 9, with EMC 8's version of D2D.

I take it you and your friends are only using these discs to share files between systems, and not for longer term storage? If so, then that's an appropriate use of D2D, as long as your D2D disc never contains your only copy of an important file.

One other thing you might try if you're interested is uninstall EMC 8, install 9. Uninstall D2D. Insert your EMC 8 disc and do a custom install of just D2D. Then you'll have EMC 9, with EMC 8's version of D2D.

Dave: That is a great Idea. I will give it a try.

Dave: I got it done, but I made the task harder for myself because I wanted to use the upgraded Drag-to-Disc 8.0.5.23. When I install EMC 8 with just D2D, Drag-to-Disc 8.0.1.60 is installed and it cannot be upgraded. So I

Uninstalled EMC 9

Uninstalled EMC 8

Installed EMC 8 complete

Updated EMC 8 to 8.0.5

Saved the Drag-to-Disc 8.0.5.23 files to a different folder

Uninstalled EMC 8

Installed EMC 9 complete

Uninstalled Drag-to-Disc 9

Installed EMC 8 with just D2D

Modified msconfig startup by unchecking DrgtoDsc for Drag-to-Disc 8.0.1.60

Added a shortcut to the saved Drag-to-Disc 8.0.5.23 DrgToDsc.exe to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Now when I boot the system I get Drag-to-Disc 8.0.5.23 loaded and my old DVD+RWs are writeable.

Dave: I got it done, but I made the task harder for myself because I wanted to use the upgraded Drag-to-Disc 8.0.5.23. When I install EMC 8 with just D2D, Drag-to-Disc 8.0.1.60 is installed and it cannot be upgraded. So I

Uninstalled EMC 9

Uninstalled EMC 8

Installed EMC 8 complete

Updated EMC 8 to 8.0.5

Saved the Drag-to-Disc 8.0.5.23 files to a different folder

Uninstalled EMC 8

Installed EMC 9 complete

Uninstalled Drag-to-Disc 9

Installed EMC 8 with just D2D

Modified msconfig startup by unchecking DrgtoDsc for Drag-to-Disc 8.0.1.60

Added a shortcut to the saved Drag-to-Disc 8.0.5.23 DrgToDsc.exe to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Now when I boot the system I get Drag-to-Disc 8.0.5.23 loaded and my old DVD+RWs are writeable.

Yep... that's quite a process. Congratulations.

Archived