• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Making a DVD, with video and slide shows?

Freds

Question

(So as not to hijack olivergriswolds thread I post this. His query closely resembles mine.)

Jim, Grandpa and others who help us newbie's out.

First, thanks for all the information I have gleaned from reading your helpful responses to other posters in the past.

Perhaps someone can provide a list of tools, steps and moves (in the correct order) etc I will need to make in order to produce a DVD trying to preserve as much quality as I can in the final product.

I have video, on tape from my Sony TRV240 Handicam. (digital). (transfers via 1394a) I also have .jpgs from 2 digital cameras (My Pictures) on hand. These are scenes taken during the year. I would now like to produce a DVD that would include a series of takes from the camcorder interspersed with small slide shows or even stills pertaining to the same topic. For instance, Easter.....summer at the beach....birthdays....fall, and so on. I would like to be able to add and control background music and some narration as well as using embedded native audio where applicable. I use PSP9, with limited skill to enhance and crop photos. Since learning of it here, I also just installed Image Cropper for the safe zone issue.

The DVD should play in stand alone players on standard TV sets. (at this time)

My past experiences have been much effort for little useful saved material. I always manage to use the wrong tool or do something out of sequence that ends up in frustrations...(Seniors memory is in a large part a factor here, kindly excuse me.) That is the reason for my question as you see it. I do hope that others may benefit from your reply as I am sure I will.

I'll wait to see responses before posing further questions I have.(in case they are answered in replies)

Brief recap of my gear.

XP Home Edition SP 2 (build 2600); Dimension 8300; 2.60 gigahertz P 4; 3072 Mb Memory.

EMC 8 Version 8.05.0.0

EMC 9 Version 9.0.008

NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A [CD-ROM drive]

LITEON DVD-ROM LTD163 [CD-ROM drive]

ST3250823AS [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 2, SMART Status: Healthy

WDC WD1200JB-75CRA0 [Hard drive] (120.00 GB) -- drive 0, SMART Status: Healthy

WDC WD1600JB-00EVA0 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 1, SMART Status: Healthy

NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS [Display adapter]

Princeton VL1917(TMDS) [Monitor] (19.1"vis,

1394 Net Adapter

PRO/100 VE Network Connection

Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

HID UPS Battery

Many thanks, in advance, for your efforts.

Fred

6 answers to this question

(So as not to hijack olivergriswolds thread I post this. His query closely resembles mine.)

Jim, Grandpa and others who help us newbie's out.

First, thanks for all the information I have gleaned from reading your helpful responses to other posters in the past.

Perhaps someone can provide a list of tools, steps and moves (in the correct order) etc I will need to make in order to produce a DVD trying to preserve as much quality as I can in the final product.

I have video, on tape from my Sony TRV240 Handicam. (digital). (transfers via 1394a) I also have .jpgs from 2 digital cameras (My Pictures) on hand. These are scenes taken during the year. I would now like to produce a DVD that would include a series of takes from the camcorder interspersed with small slide shows or even stills pertaining to the same topic. For instance, Easter.....summer at the beach....birthdays....fall, and so on. I would like to be able to add and control background music and some narration as well as using embedded native audio where applicable. I use PSP9, with limited skill to enhance and crop photos. Since learning of it here, I also just installed Image Cropper for the safe zone issue.

The DVD should play in stand alone players on standard TV sets. (at this time)

My past experiences have been much effort for little useful saved material. I always manage to use the wrong tool or do something out of sequence that ends up in frustrations...(Seniors memory is in a large part a factor here, kindly excuse me.) That is the reason for my question as you see it. I do hope that others may benefit from your reply as I am sure I will.

I'll wait to see responses before posing further questions I have.(in case they are answered in replies)

Brief recap of my gear.

XP Home Edition SP 2 (build 2600); Dimension 8300; 2.60 gigahertz P 4; 3072 Mb Memory.

EMC 8 Version 8.05.0.0

EMC 9 Version 9.0.008

NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A [CD-ROM drive]

LITEON DVD-ROM LTD163 [CD-ROM drive]

ST3250823AS [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 2, SMART Status: Healthy

WDC WD1200JB-75CRA0 [Hard drive] (120.00 GB) -- drive 0, SMART Status: Healthy

WDC WD1600JB-00EVA0 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 1, SMART Status: Healthy

NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS [Display adapter]

Princeton VL1917(TMDS) [Monitor] (19.1"vis,

1394 Net Adapter

PRO/100 VE Network Connection

Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

HID UPS Battery

Many thanks, in advance, for your efforts.

Fred

Wow, you want a two hour course in a short post? The following is my preference for a work flow but other may do it differently or in writing the post, I may have left something out. Perhaps others can give suggestions and add letters to the steps (like 13 and 13a, 13b etc.

First, be aware that some people (including me) have some problems with both V8 and V9 on their computers. Others do not. When I had both, I did not see all options for buttons and the like in My DVD until I removed V8. Second, make sure your video card drivers and Direct X is 9c. You may not need to update to the latest 9c. Go to the card manufacturer's web site to get their latest approved drivers. My card is NVidia but it was built by eVGA.

I'll give you a couple of tips but you may want to search for the details on this board. I mentioned save in a couple of items below but you should remember to save often.

!) Disconnect from the internet, run your anti-virus and anti-mal ware. Defrag your hard drive, reboot. Shut down all running programs including the anti-virus and anti-malware.

2) If you have video that you want to edit, do that first using VideoWave. You can cut out sections, add titles, background music, overlays, etc. (Save the project frequently using two different alternating names). Output the project to a mpg2 for DVD best quality file. Save that. If you make a mistake and do not like what you have done, you can chose undo or you can start from scratch as long as you don't over write the original video file.

3) Use VideoWave to create your project. When VideoWave opens, make sure you are looking at the story line. Add your images and the mpg2 files that you created in a logical order. Set the display time for the images.

3) Add color panels to the project where you want to have titles. Double click on the panel to add text to the internal track.

4) Add text to the internal track of any images you want.

5) Add your transitions and set the display time for the transitions. Keep in mind that you can get only one hour of best quality on a single sided disc. you can get more but at a lesser quality. you can also add any effects to the images at this time.

6) Preview that production and move around the images you want to move. Just drag them to the correct order, things will move over to make room. You may have to move, add, or delete transitions once you have done that

6) Switch to the timeline view and add any music. Alternate two audio tracks when you add the music so that you can add the fade in/out and overlap of the music cuts.

6) Save and preview. When you are satisfied, save the project with a name that you will remember as the (semi) final version.

7) if you are going to have more than one movie, repeat the above as needed.

7) Close VideoWave and open MyDVD. Set up your menus. You have lots of options such as themes, menu background, background audio, motion or still, etc.

8) Add the projects that you created in VideoWave. Save. Preview. adjust. Be careful about moving around the images/titles that are on the menu; sometimes this causes problems. try to add your VideoWave projects in the order you want them to appear.

9) This would be a good time to add chapters if you want to. Select the project and then do a manual selection of where you want the chapters. You can also add chapter makes in VideoWave but I find this to be easier.

10) You can also add a Intro Movie that will play as soon as you insert the disc.

11) If you want, you can now adjust the navigation (go back to menu or play next movie after the previous one plays).

12) Preview and make any adjustments. Save again.

13) Go to the top menu and select your project settings (see image for my preferences)

14) Select burn and burn to an iso (image file). Select a name and where you want it to be created. The default is the C:/ folder. Deselect the other options.

15) Let the program encode the project. Go out and play a round of golf, see a movie, or other while this is being done. Do not use the computer to read mail, play games, etc. during the encoding.

16) When the iso file is encoded, close MyDVD and open Disc Copier. Navigate to the iso file and preview it (small screen).

17) If it looks OK, copy the iso file to a good quality blank DVD. I often burn to a DVD RW so I can preview it on my TV before the final burn. If the RW looks OK, just copy that iso file to the final DVD. Chose plus R or dash R depending on your set top player.

18) Grab a cold drink, call the family together and enjoy..

Sknis,

Thank you for your detailed explaination here. I too am new to this and have figured out how to do a slide show via video wave. You state when you go to burn choose the ISO file format and that you should go play a round of golf. Are you being funny or serious or both? I have a new PC, nothing super powerful but it does have a dual processor AMD chip and Navidia Card(middle of the road) plus 1mb of memory. The slide show is 550 pics, 4 tunes and about 19 minutes to preview. Any expectation as to how long this will take? I let it go for about 45 minutes the first time I started this but cancelled because the overall progress bar never moved off 0% and current task (encoding movie) never moved off 0%. I am watching the task manager and I am getting a constant CPU read between 50-60%. Any other way to monitor the progress or do I just need a little or lot of patience?

Jim

I let it run overnight and got the same results. It doesn't move offprogres bar in the encoding task.

Never mind. I thought I had the most current NVida driver but I did not. Updated that driver and it is working. Thank you.

Glad that it is working for you now. :) That was a (almost) joke about the round of golf. The time to encode a project with a newer computer is usually 2 to 4 times the length of the project - one hour project will take anywhere from 2 hours to 4 hours. With older computers, that could be anywhere from 6 to 10 times the length of the project. With a new computer, you could get a couples of holes in; with older computers, you can get 18 in and spend some time at the 19 hole. :huh::D

Wow, you want a two hour course in a short post? The following is my preference for a work flow but other may do it differently or in writing the post, I may have left something out. Perhaps others can give suggestions and add letters to the steps (like 13 and 13a, 13b etc.

First, be aware that some people (including me) have some problems with both V8 and V9 on their computers. Others do not. When I had both, I did not see all options for buttons and the like in My DVD until I removed V8. Second, make sure your video card drivers and Direct X is 9c. You may not need to update to the latest 9c. Go to the card manufacturer's web site to get their latest approved drivers. My card is NVidia but it was built by eVGA.

I'll give you a couple of tips but you may want to search for the details on this board. I mentioned save in a couple of items below but you should remember to save often.

!) Disconnect from the internet, run your anti-virus and anti-mal ware. Defrag your hard drive, reboot. Shut down all running programs including the anti-virus and anti-malware.

2) If you have video that you want to edit, do that first using VideoWave. You can cut out sections, add titles, background music, overlays, etc. (Save the project frequently using two different alternating names). Output the project to a mpg2 for DVD best quality file. Save that. If you make a mistake and do not like what you have done, you can chose undo or you can start from scratch as long as you don't over write the original video file.

3) Use VideoWave to create your project. When VideoWave opens, make sure you are looking at the story line. Add your images and the mpg2 files that you created in a logical order. Set the display time for the images.

3) Add color panels to the project where you want to have titles. Double click on the panel to add text to the internal track.

5) Add your transitions and set the display time for the transitions. Keep in mind that you can get only one hour of best quality on a single sided disc. you can get more but at a lesser quality. you can also add any effects to the images at this time.

6) Preview that production and move around the images you want to move. Just drag them to the correct order, things will move over to make room. You may have to move, add, or delete transitions once you have done that

6) Switch to the timeline view and add any music. Alternate two audio tracks when you add the music so that you can add the fade in/out and overlap of the music cuts.

6) Save and preview. When you are satisfied, save the project with a name that you will remember as the (semi) final version.

7) Close VideoWave and open MyDVD. Set up your menus. You have lots of options such as themes, menu background, background audio, motion or still, etc.

8) Add the projects that you created in VideoWave. Save. Preview. adjust. Be careful about moving around the images/titles that are on the menu; sometimes this causes problems. try to add your VideoWave projects in the order you want them to appear.

9) This would be a good time to add chapters if you want to. Select the project and then do a manual selection of where you want the chapters. You can also add chapter makes in VideoWave but I find this to be easier.

10) You can also add a Intro Movie that will play as soon as you insert the disc.

11) If you want, you can now adjust the navigation (go back to menu or play next movie after the previous one plays).

13) Go to the top menu and select your project settings (see image for my preferences)

14) Select burn and burn to an iso (image file). Select a name and where you want it to be created. The default is the C:/ folder. Deselect the other options.

15) Let the program encode the project. Go out and play a round of golf, see a movie, or other while this is being done. Do not use the computer to read mail, play games, etc. during the encoding.

16) When the iso file is encoded, close MyDVD and open Disc Copier. Navigate to the iso file and preview it (small screen).

17) If it looks OK, copy the iso file to a good quality blank DVD. I often burn to a DVD RW so I can preview it on my TV before the final burn. If the RW looks OK, just copy that iso file to the final DVD. Chose plus R or dash R depending on your set top player.

My gratitude to you Sknis

You have given me pretty much what I think I needed here. I am off at the moment to keep my Grand Daughters company while they are off on the winter break from school. As soon as I get home I'll go over this suggestion in detail and print it off for reference.

I just wanted to thank you for your effort and admit that when I re-read my original post wondered if any one would tackle a reply.

Thanks again for you time and expertise.

Fred

Sknis,

Thank you for your detailed explaination here. I too am new to this and have figured out how to do a slide show via video wave. You state when you go to burn choose the ISO file format and that you should go play a round of golf. Are you being funny or serious or both? I have a new PC, nothing super powerful but it does have a dual processor AMD chip and Navidia Card(middle of the road) plus 1mb of memory. The slide show is 550 pics, 4 tunes and about 19 minutes to preview. Any expectation as to how long this will take? I let it go for about 45 minutes the first time I started this but cancelled because the overall progress bar never moved off 0% and current task (encoding movie) never moved off 0%. I am watching the task manager and I am getting a constant CPU read between 50-60%. Any other way to monitor the progress or do I just need a little or lot of patience?

Jim

I let it run overnight and got the same results. It doesn't move offprogres bar in the encoding task.

Never mind. I thought I had the most current NVida driver but I did not. Updated that driver and it is working. Thank you.

Archived