• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Uninstall Problems.

Wisky

Question

I had tried to perform a Roll Back of one level but once this uninstall was completed, all that I could reinstall is 9 as I experienced the same abnormalities as others are mentioning? Only able to see the File Link Shortcut, not able to switch to File View, etc. Anything else that I would execute only showed the file shortcut and would not display in file view? Why any other programs that I had on my system could not access these drives even WMP only portrayed the File Links.

When you Import a CD and you get the information from Gracenote, why is there no information inside of the metadata to create a functional M3U (playlist) file? As it sits, it will generate the file, but it has no data and it certainly has no CD-TEXT?

Thnaks

8 answers to this question

Actually, Roxio/Sonic has no such "Roll Back" technology going on. They're merely allowing you to install later versions along with previous versions. Theoretically, if they've done a good job with detection of previous versions and file naming, if you subsequently go to uninstall one version, it will leave the others intact and functioning. When I installed version 9 without letting it uninstall version 8, neither behaved so well, so I uninstalled version 8, did a repair install on 9, and 9 worked fine after that.

I'm guessing that with all the multiple versions you've installed, they've finally confused one another and your best bet will be to uninstall one or all versions, run the Roxizap utility to help clean out the undeleted bits that don't come out with the uninstall.

Then install the version you want to use, be that 6, 7, 7.5, 8, or 9.

I'm sure that's not what you want to hear, but that sounds like the probable solution to me.

I found the link on how to uninstall everything and to download the MS program to make sure all is gone. I followed all of the instructions exactly and I left thinks out as also suggested when I installed 6 Suite. When I brought it up everything but V6 Suite was working. I'm talking about WMP, CDDA and VLC! After I ran my reqistry clean up Registry Mechanic and rebooted this is what each program is showing on my drives:

FileListError.jpg

So now perhaps you will believe myself and others about this problem and this is also after I had run Repair!

Okay:

You need more details, no problem!

When I have installed different version of Roxio product I always select to keep the current version active and available incase I no longer want to use the recent installed version. Are you with me here, “Roll-Back”?

Let me give you another example. Lets suppose that you have had your machine for some time and in the course of Automatic Updates by MS you have taken your system from WMP-v8 upto and including WMP-v11, which is the most recent and includes DRM (which is nothing more than a program installed at the root of a CD/DVD that prevents pirating, AKA-Root-Kit which is killing Sony’s business because of the current boycote). After using v11, for a period of time you decided that you did not like the way v11 operates and you wanted to go back to v10. This is accomplished by a technology on our systems as a "Roll-Back"! Definition: That takes your system back to the settings and situation that level was in at the time of the last upgrade. Are you with me here?

In case you are not aware, Roxio has had this technology as part of its systems since level v5 that I am aware of and I have been able to do this since that time until now with v9. In another post I made a demonstration of how I had my system setup in "Roll-Backs" from v5 ~ v8 at one time and I did "Roll-Back" from v8 to v6 Suite (so I did a Uninstall from Programs Links to Uninstall or from "Add or Remove Programs Link" in the Control Panel, Remove, twice; before I added v9. Are you still with me here?

You are correct this is like "System Restore" but separate of that system function and controlled during the newest install process. It is set aside as part and parcel of the installation process. I suggest that you try it yourself so you will see how it works. So pull out any version you would like and run setup for a couple of minutes and then cancel. Soon after it starts you will see a system install generated message that asks you if you would like to keep your current settings or you want to start off new (more or less) with the current install and if you are not sure to select "Yes". When you select "yes" this what is going on. I am not sure where this information is placed, but I have been able to use different aspects of different version in the past without any difficulty until v9!

My making of the Playlist is not done inside of Roxio, for one; I have not figured out how to do that inside of Roxio as yet because it takes hours for these applications to populate at times. I have another application that I use "Music NFO Builder" which has alot of functions and one is to make a Playlist and another us to make a M3U playlist file. The later also includes the CD-Text when it is present inside of the Mp3 files Meta-Data. From what you are saying in your note is that Meta-Data is not available until you actually burn the CD, which is totally contrary to what 6-Suite does, it’s auto-populated from the Gate!

In 6-Suite, when you Rip a CD, as soon as the Disk is inserted all of the CD information is populated automatically as usual from the very beginning. This includes the Meta-Data and it also includes the File/Folder generation to do the actual Rip to your hard drive to our user defined default directory. So this whole process is totally transparent to the end-user all we know is it works great, unlike here? Unlike version 9, you have to: a)-manually create the folder to do the rip to and Browse to it; :huh:-type the Folder Name in the Browser Window as defined in your manual and reply "Yes" to create that Folder; or c)-if not either, the files will be ripped to the root of the default directory that is assigned in one of the many options that is available throughout the entire v9 suite.

There is not one central location, perhaps in "Home", to access all options in totality of version 9. We need to look around under each aspect and function of v9 to find all of these different things that we can set our defaults which can not be set to a profile as this is not offered and the defaults are not set to make the experience of your customers experience friendly at all. Different aspects of v9 use a lot of these defaults once these are found and set to your liking.

How many times do we have to tell the program to insert the Meta-Data in this version as your Legacy systems did these totally transparent of the End-User? Because in 6-Suite, I could Rip a CD create the M3u File and email this as an attachment to my friends by using Music NFO Builder and burn @ (VBR~320, insane, 48000mhz) instantly and concurrent without any other interaction at all without no system resources being used. It would appear that for some reason, instead of going forward you are going backwards in some respects and as you read more inside of these Discussions you will see others that have the same types of questions, but, they are not as detailed as these I have sent to you.

I hope that I have answered you question further to your liking and I have tried very hard to include enough substance about this situation in as much detail as I am capable. :)

Thanks for that reference and it was good information, but it does not go into the problem that I show in the Image. This is the whole problem, it can't see the files because these are links. Even when I try and bring these up in WMP, it can't see the files they show to it as Unknown. But, CDDA can see the files under the correct function, Rip, Burn or convert. So there is something that has been going on to blank out the actual data in the OS. When I did the uninstall I kept CDDA and WMP operational during that time in the hopes of avoiding this problem, alais to no avail.

Okay:

You need more details, no problem!

When I have installed different version of Roxio product I always select to keep the current version active and available incase I no longer want to use the recent installed version. Are you with me here, "Roll-Back"?

Let me give you another example. Lets suppose that you have had your machine for some time and in the course of Automatic Updates by MS you have taken your system from WMP-v8 upto and including WMP-v11, which is the most recent and includes DRM (which is nothing more than a program installed at the root of a CD/DVD that prevents pirating, AKA-Root-Kit which is killing Sony's business because of the current boycote). After using v11, for a period of time you decided that you did not like the way v11 operates and you wanted to go back to v10. This is accomplished by a technology on our systems as a "Roll-Back"! Definition: That takes your system back to the settings and situation that level was in at the time of the last upgrade. Are you with me here?

In case you are not aware, Roxio has had this technology as part of its systems since level v5 that I am aware of and I have been able to do this since that time until now with v9. In another post I made a demonstration of how I had my system setup in "Roll-Backs" from v5 ~ v8 at one time and I did "Roll-Back" from v8 to v6 Suite (so I did a Uninstall from Programs Links to Uninstall or from "Add or Remove Programs Link" in the Control Panel, Remove, twice; before I added v9. Are you still with me here?

You are correct this is like "System Restore" but separate of that system function and controlled during the newest install process. It is set aside as part and parcel of the installation process. I suggest that you try it yourself so you will see how it works. So pull out any version you would like and run setup for a couple of minutes and then cancel. Soon after it starts you will see a system install generated message that asks you if you would like to keep your current settings or you want to start off new (more or less) with the current install and if you are not sure to select "Yes". When you select "yes" this what is going on. I am not sure where this information is placed, but I have been able to use different aspects of different version in the past without any difficulty until v9!

My making of the Playlist is not done inside of Roxio, for one; I have not figured out how to do that inside of Roxio as yet because it takes hours for these applications to populate at times. I have another application that I use "Music NFO Builder" which has alot of functions and one is to make a Playlist and another us to make a M3U playlist file. The later also includes the CD-Text when it is present inside of the Mp3 files Meta-Data. From what you are saying in your note is that Meta-Data is not available until you actually burn the CD, which is totally contrary to what 6-Suite does, it's auto-populated from the Gate!

In 6-Suite, when you Rip a CD, as soon as the Disk is inserted all of the CD information is populated automatically as usual from the very beginning. This includes the Meta-Data and it also includes the File/Folder generation to do the actual Rip to your hard drive to our user defined default directory. So this whole process is totally transparent to the end-user all we know is it works great, unlike here? Unlike version 9, you have to: a)-manually create the folder to do the rip to and Browse to it; :D -type the Folder Name in the Browser Window as defined in your manual and reply "Yes" to create that Folder; or c)-if not either, the files will be ripped to the root of the default directory that is assigned in one of the many options that is available throughout the entire v9 suite.

There is not one central location, perhaps in "Home", to access all options in totality of version 9. We need to look around under each aspect and function of v9 to find all of these different things that we can set our defaults which can not be set to a profile as this is not offered and the defaults are not set to make the experience of your customers experience friendly at all. Different aspects of v9 use a lot of these defaults once these are found and set to your liking.

How many times do we have to tell the program to insert the Meta-Data in this version as your Legacy systems did these totally transparent of the End-User? Because in 6-Suite, I could Rip a CD create the M3u File and email this as an attachment to my friends by using Music NFO Builder and burn @ (VBR~320, insane, 48000mhz) instantly and concurrent without any other interaction at all without no system resources being used. It would appear that for some reason, instead of going forward you are going backwards in some respects and as you read more inside of these Discussions you will see others that have the same types of questions, but, they are not as detailed as these I have sent to you.

I hope that I have answered you question further to your liking and I have tried very hard to include enough substance about this situation in as much detail as I am capable. :D

In essence you said that you like V6 and another program better than V9. So keep it if your computer will run it. :huh: Perhaps some one else should take over answering your posts. I can't take the sarchasm. :)

In essence you said that you like V6 and another program better than V9. So keep it if your computer will run it. :D Perhaps some one else should take over answering your posts. I can't take the sarchasm. :)

This is what I am telling you man! I can't install anything but Version 9 as others have also stated. It appears that something is going on to not only prevent "Roll-Backs" but also prevent Legacy installs as well. :huh:

This is what I am telling you man! I can't install anything but Version 9 as others have also stated. It appears that something is going on to not only prevent "Roll-Backs" but also prevent Legacy installs as well. :)

Actually, Roxio/Sonic has no such "Roll Back" technology going on. They're merely allowing you to install later versions along with previous versions. Theoretically, if they've done a good job with detection of previous versions and file naming, if you subsequently go to uninstall one version, it will leave the others intact and functioning. When I installed version 9 without letting it uninstall version 8, neither behaved so well, so I uninstalled version 8, did a repair install on 9, and 9 worked fine after that.

I'm guessing that with all the multiple versions you've installed, they've finally confused one another and your best bet will be to uninstall one or all versions, run the Roxizap utility to help clean out the undeleted bits that don't come out with the uninstall.

Then install the version you want to use, be that 6, 7, 7.5, 8, or 9.

I'm sure that's not what you want to hear, but that sounds like the probable solution to me.

I had tried to perform a Roll Back of one level but once this uninstall was completed, all that I could reinstall is 9 as I experienced the same abnormalities as others are mentioning? Only able to see the File Link Shortcut, not able to switch to File View, etc. Anything else that I would execute only showed the file shortcut and would not display in file view? Why any other programs that I had on my system could not access these drives even WMP only portrayed the File Links.

When you Import a CD and you get the information from Gracenote, why is there no information inside of the metadata to create a functional M3U (playlist) file? As it sits, it will generate the file, but it has no data and it certainly has no CD-TEXT?

Thnaks

I have no idea about what you are saying about the roll back of one level. :) (do you mean restore?) I"m not sure which "abnormalities that others are mentioning. Could you be a little more specific?

How have you been trying to create a playlist? What application in EMC V9 are you using? If you use Music Disc Creator, and select add a couple of songs, and then choose Tools - Automix, what message pops up? It will usually say that you have X number of music identified and Y number of cuts that are not and then asks if you want the program to get the data. Are you getting that message? If the pop up window indicates that X number have been identified then the information is availble for those and the program is indeed getting the information needed. As for the others, my advice is not to chose the automatic ID since it may pick up the wrong information and you will have to find and modify it. If you want CD-text , you have to chose that option. (See image).

I'm sorry but your post doesn't make sense to me. Please take a litle more time to explain your two issues. Perhaps it is just a matter of semantics. I can tell that you are intelligent and would be able to solve many issues on your own. Please take a little more time to do a better explanation for us who are not "seeing" what you are doing.

Archived