VideoGirl

Widescreen video problem

Question

I created a DVD the other day with widescreen videos. They look fine on the computer, but one DVD player squishes the video to make it fit full screen, and another just seems to cut off the sides. Anyone have any idea why the widescreen aspect on the clips themselves are not translating over to the DVD players??

Videos are Xvid codec, but the programme didn't complain at all, and, as I said, if I throw the DVD in a COMPUTER it's fine...

2 answers to this question

I created a DVD the other day with widescreen videos. They look fine on the computer, but one DVD player squishes the video to make it fit full screen, and another just seems to cut off the sides. Anyone have any idea why the widescreen aspect on the clips themselves are not translating over to the DVD players??

Videos are Xvid codec, but the programme didn't complain at all, and, as I said, if I throw the DVD in a COMPUTER it's fine...

Some players need to be set to widescreen or letterbox and may default to 4:3. Look in the setup section of your player to see if this is the case.

The problem with using Xvid files and the like is that the resolutions on the file are incorrect. The pixels will be square and look 16:9 instead of being stretched into 16:9 but in reality are 720x480 pixels.

When using Xvid files, it's always going to be a gamble what it will look like because the software doesn't know what it's supposed to look like. If you want your videos to be the right aspect ratio, I'd suggest converting them to MPEG2 with a program before importing them into MyDVD, make sure they're 720x480 and 16:9 and up to the DVD specifications and if everything was done correctly, the movie would be passed straight through MyDVD without being reencoded again. It's a lot of extra work but some times you don't have the luxury of starting with the source files.