• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

File attributes

BillW

Question

When using Backup MyPC, there are times when the Archive attribute is changed within the backedup files. I seem to remember something within EMC9 that will perform a batch change of file attributes. Now, I can't find the function anywhere within EMC9. Does anyone know if there is a function to batch change file attribtues within EMC9? If not, do you know of a good utility/application that will change attributes? As well a the batch attribute change function, I'd like to search looking for any file that has an attribute set or not set. Example: find all the files with the Archive attribute set to off. Thanks for your help.

3 answers to this question

When using Backup MyPC, there are times when the Archive attribute is changed within the backedup files. I seem to remember something within EMC9 that will perform a batch change of file attributes. Now, I can't find the function anywhere within EMC9. Does anyone know if there is a function to batch change file attribtues within EMC9? If not, do you know of a good utility/application that will change attributes? As well a the batch attribute change function, I'd like to search looking for any file that has an attribute set or not set. Example: find all the files with the Archive attribute set to off. Thanks for your help.

You can always open a command prompt window and use the "Attrib" command, as in:

c:\attrib *.*

That will show you all the attributes of all the files in the root directory of the C: drive. To turn all the Archive ("A") bits off:

c:\attrib *.* -a

to turn them all on:

c:\attrib *.* +a

If you want to search down all the subdirectorys, add the "/s" switch:

c:\attrib *.* /s

Hope that helps.

If you're not familiar with the "ATTRIB" (original DOS) command, this command displays, sets, or removes the "Read-Only", "Archive", "System", ande "Hidden" atrributes assigned to files or directories (folders).These are the switches for each:

+r and -r sets or clears the "read-only" attribute

+a and -a sets or clears the "archive" attribute

+s and -s sets or clears the "System" attribute

+h and -h sets or clears the "hidden" attrribute

/s Processes files in the current directory (folder) and all of it's sub-directories

You can display or change the attributes for a directory (folder). To use attrib" with a directory (folder), you must explicitly specify the directory (folder) name. You cannot usewildcards to work with directories (folders. Example:

To hide the directory (folder) C:\FRANK, you would type the following: attrib +h c:\frank

The following command would affext only files, not directories (folders): attrib +h c: *.*

Frank...

Archived