Getting analog video off camera

Trebuchet

Wow, I bought my computer last year, and it has Roxio EZCD/DVD 6 (6.2.0.134, I believe that's "platinum"?) and now I find out it's "Legacy" Well, maybe that's a good thing as I'm trying to get the last of my legacy 8mm videos off of my analog video camera.

So, the problems I'm having are

1. I can see my video in EZCD/DVD but I can't hear sound

- All of my settings are live, that is, none are Muted and the inputs and outputs work with other devices.

2. When I try to capture, I get an error of

"Your capture device may be in use by another

application, or the output from the device is not

recognized by DVD Builder. Please close any

other applications that may be using the device,

or change the device or device format in

Advanced Settings."

Can anyone help me troubleshoot? Thanks!

One of the things about all the Roxio suites is they will NOT capture from a USB connection, so if that is how you are connecting, you will need to capture the video to the hard drive using either the camera s/w or Windows Movie Maker.

Once you have the avi file on the h/d, then you can import that to ECD and render it from there

One of the things about all the Roxio suites is they will NOT capture from a USB connection, so if that is how you are connecting, you will need to capture the video to the hard drive using either the camera s/w or Windows Movie Maker.

Once you have the avi file on the h/d, then you can import that to ECD and render it from there

Good to know, but I'm not using USB. An old school combination cable-to-RCA-composite-video-and-audio plug. It's just called an "audio/visual cable" in the manual.

I'm fairly certain this camera (Sharp VL-E765U if it matters) never had any software.

Good to know, but I'm not using USB. An old school combination cable-to-RCA-composite-video-and-audio plug. It's just called an "audio/visual cable" in the manual.

I'm fairly certain this camera (Sharp VL-E765U if it matters) never had any software.

So what is the A/D converter you are trying to capture from??? Those wires have to be plugged into to something on your PC…

If you plugged them into the Video Card you may have plugged in the Yellow wire to Video Output jack of the card.

So what is the A/D converter you are trying to capture from??? Those wires have to be plugged into to something on your PC…

If you plugged them into the Video Card you may have plugged in the Yellow wire to Video Output jack of the card.

Well, the jack is labelled Input. The program even lists the computers various inputs, SVideo, Video Composite 1, Video Composite 2, and it does display the video in the preview screen. The cable from the video camera has 3 wires - Composite Video, and a White and a Red audio, which plug into the Audio inputs (at least they're labelled as such).

It shows with VC1 and VC2, but no sound and no capture.

I'm going to try using that setup to the VCR, then from the VCR coax to the video card's co-ax connector. See if that does anything....

It sounds like you have an A/D card or one that is part of your video card. Often these cards require their included software to do the capture with. That way the software makes up for non-compliance with MS standards. – Since you have not listed your hardware, I am only speaking in general terms.

The one I have (DAC-100) is external and connected via Firewire. XP recognizes it as a AVC Compliant Device.

Archived