• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

change from 16:9 to 4:3

olivergriswold

Question

11 answers to this question

okay, i screwed up. somehow i just used one of the squished videos as the import source for the new 4:3 test. re-tried with a good 16:9 source video and lo and behold the 4:3 looks good albeit letterboxed at top and bottom. but, at least the proportions are correct.

many thanks and let's get the roxio crew working on the 16:9 to 4:3 and vice-versa videowave re-layout feature,

oliver...

You are welcome, and I hope they work on it, too.

is there an easy way to change the aspect ratio of a project from 16:9 to 4:3? i use www.dropshots.com and it is insisting on squishing my 16:9 masterpiece into the 4:3 window <g> .

thanks much,

oliver...

In what program? You can change aspect ration in the project properties in MyDVD and Videowave.

this is in videowave 9. the only place i'm seeing to change the aspect ratio is under File | New Production which i don't think helps me with an existing 16:9 production. i can't see anyplace where i can change the aspect ratio and all of the available output formats are 16:9. perhaps there is another program (i just started with the suite and certainly am not up to speed with all the components).

thanks much,

oliver...

this is in videowave 9. the only place i'm seeing to change the aspect ratio is under File | New Production which i don't think helps me with an existing 16:9 production. i can't see anyplace where i can change the aspect ratio and all of the available output formats are 16:9. perhaps there is another program (i just started with the suite and certainly am not up to speed with all the components).

thanks much,

oliver...

It doesn't matter if your pictures are 50 years old, or 50 seconds old. When you open VideoWave, and want to bring in those photos or movie, you DON'T have an existing production. Set YOUR NEW PRODUCTION to 16:9.

understood. however my situation is that i've put together a dmsm file with lots of photos, videos, music tracks, transitions, effects, etc. the whole thing is done in 16:9 ratio. now, i want to make the same production but in 4:3 ratio. i don't particularly want to start from scratch and recreate the whole thing; i'd rather take the 16:9 dmsm and change it to 4:3 and have videowave relayout everything to fit the new aspect ratio. of course i realize that the creator suite may not be capable of this but if it is that'd be slick and if someone could point me to where one does this that would be even more groovy.

thanks much,

oliver...

understood. however my situation is that i've put together a dmsm file with lots of photos, videos, music tracks, transitions, effects, etc. the whole thing is done in 16:9 ratio. now, i want to make the same production but in 4:3 ratio. i don't particularly want to start from scratch and recreate the whole thing; i'd rather take the 16:9 dmsm and change it to 4:3 and have videowave relayout everything to fit the new aspect ratio. of course i realize that the creator suite may not be capable of this but if it is that'd be slick and if someone could point me to where one does this that would be even more groovy.

thanks much,

oliver...

I think that it would be a great thing, too, but I don't think that you can convert the project to 4:3. Hopefully, I am wrong, and someone else will drop by and let us know how, or if it can be done.

Something you could try that just might work is the DivxDVD feature in the Home menu under Video. If you add your file (may have to export to mpeg) into DivxDVD, under the Options menu you can select an output profile which may work. Never tried it myself and you may need to play around with it.

ggrussell may be able to offer some advice as he's done lots of work in 16:9 ratio. :)

post-79-1168020737.jpg

Unfortunately what you want to do in Videowave is not possible. Would be a nice feature though. YOu have two choices: redo the entire project in 4:3 or Output to File as 16:9 (DV AVI is best because it will have to be re-rendered) and then add that file back to a 4:3 Videowave project. That effectively letterboxes it.

ah, very close. but, when i pull it back into my new 4:3 project it squishes the whole thing instead of cropping the sidebars. arrrggghhhh. sure is easier to go from 4:3 to 16:9 with adaptive scaling 'n such! guess i should have started in 4:3.

thanks for the help!

oliver...

Told ya Gary knew what he was talking about. :)

okay, i screwed up. somehow i just used one of the squished videos as the import source for the new 4:3 test. re-tried with a good 16:9 source video and lo and behold the 4:3 looks good albeit letterboxed at top and bottom. but, at least the proportions are correct.

many thanks and let's get the roxio crew working on the 16:9 to 4:3 and vice-versa videowave re-layout feature,

oliver...

Archived