• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Download using "Recover Easy CD&DVD Creator.exe" lock at 462/474MB

Deebs

I've been using Easy CD&DVD Creator on my Win2000 machine for years and it suits my purposes perfectly. I was planning on using it again after doing a clean reinstall on my system. Before doing so, I cleaned up my hard drive and purged a lot of "junk" freeware, shareway, and "annoyware" programs. Then I planned to write a dozen or so gig of data to a DVD-RW.

Unfortunately, "Creator Classic" now crashed directly after starting it. I get a "Runtime Error" and then "The instruction at '0x11d7894" referenced memory at "0x02137314" and "Click on OK to terminate the program".

Yep, something wrong in the registry. No sweat, I think, I'll just restore it the way I always have with the "Recover Easy CD & DVD Creator.exe"! But no! the file download from Roxio halts at 462 MB out of the 475 MB total and tells me my internet connection is not available. Nevermind that Firefox is working fine. Nevermind that I can download the Easy CD&DVD Creator "Engine Update" and other files from Roxio. So I restarted. Twice. So three times now the download has locked up at 462 out of 474 MB. Is the problem at my end? I don't think so!

I've also tried downloading the various updates for my version (not the Platinum stuff, the Basic only). I can update the Engine just fine, but when I get to the "Creator Classic" and other updates again I get an error. "No qualified Roxio product can be detected." So I try to reregister - but I'm told I'm already registered on this machine.

So I'm stuck. I have 12+ GB of data that I need to put somewhere to do a clean reinstall, and noplace to put it.

Anybody have similar problems? Anyone have any suggestions for other things I might try?

I've been using Easy CD&DVD Creator on my Win2000 machine for years and it suits my purposes perfectly. I was planning on using it again after doing a clean reinstall on my system. Before doing so, I cleaned up my hard drive and purged a lot of "junk" freeware, shareway, and "annoyware" programs. Then I planned to write a dozen or so gig of data to a DVD-RW.

Unfortunately, "Creator Class" now crashed directly after starting it. I get a "Runtime Error" and then "The instruction at '0x11d7894" referenced memory at "0x02137314" and "Click on OK to terminate the program".

Yep, something wrong in the registry. No sweat, I think, I'll just restore it the way I always have with the "Recover Easy CD & DVD Creator.exe"! But no! the file download from Roxio halts at 462 MB out of the 475 MB total and tells me my internet connection is not available. Nevermind that Firefox is working fine. Nevermind that I can download the Easy CD&DVD Creator "Engine Update" and other files from Roxio. So I restarted. Twice. So three times now the download has locked up at 462 out of 474 MB. Is the problem at my end? I don't think so!

I've also tried downloading the various updates for my version (not the Platinum stuff, the Basic only). I can update the Engine just fine, but when I get to the "Creator Classic" and other updates again I get an error. "No qualified Roxio product can be detected." So I try to reregister - but I'm told I'm already registered on this machine.

So I'm stuck. I have 12+ GB of data that I need to put somewhere to do a clean reinstall, and noplace to put it.

Anybody have similar problems? Anyone have any suggestions for other things I might try?

Have you tried a download accelerator program that resumes downloads like Flashget?

Yep, and that's on top of the built in "restart" option withing the "Recover Easy CD&DVD Creator.exe". I can go back to any of the three attempts so far, restore the original name (I've renamed them with "stalled1", "stalled2" & "stalled 3" in front of the "1_Bob..." filename for the partial download. With both the built in and with other downloaders, I get the error that the rest of the file isn't available (other downloaders) OR that my internet connection has gone bad (the Roxio built in for "Recover Easy CD&DVD Creator.exe).

Methinks it really isn't there. Three downloads to exactly 426 out of 474 MB can't be coincidence.

If not suggestions on what I can do, I guess I should also ask if anyone knows who I might contact to check on the complete file availability?

Unfortunately, "Creator Class" now crashed directly after starting it. I get a "Runtime Error" and then "The instruction at '0x11d7894" referenced memory at "0x02137314" and "Click on OK to terminate the program".

Try uninstall/re-install,

Remove Roxio from your system

then use this Roxio utility called Roxizap that you can use to remove all remnants of Roxio/Adaptec software for you. it may also remove registry entries for GoBack, so if you have that installed, uninstall it first, then re-install after running roxizap.

You can get roxizap here: http://tools.roxio.com/support/tools/roxizap.exe

Then re-install from your installation disc, them apply any updates

Try uninstall/re-install,

Remove Roxio from your system

then use this Roxio utility called Roxizap that you can use to remove all remnants of Roxio/Adaptec software for you. it may also remove registry entries for GoBack, so if you have that installed, uninstall it first, then re-install after running roxizap.

You can get roxizap here: http://tools.roxio.com/support/tools/roxizap.exe

Then re-install from your installation disc, them apply any updates

No dice.

My bad though, as I didn't give you full details. I upgraded from the Roxio utility included in my Dell C840 Latitude package, which downloaded the upgrade to the full program from the web. At the time, it instructed me to download "Recover Easy CD&DVD Creator.exe" and use it in the future if I needed to reinstall the program. I was nervous about not having a disc to reinstall, let me tell you, but it seemed there was little alternative (if I get that recovery file downloaded THIS time I can assure you I will dig it out of my Temp files and save it to a disk... if I can get my Creator 6 burner software running again, of course!

I have reinstalled Creator 6 completely from a clean reinstall twice so far, and I still have to use the "Recover Easy CD&DVD. All roads lead to Rome. Or at least through it.

I can remove Roxio from the PC entirely, but I will still be stopped dead in my tracks when I have to use "Recover Easy CD&DVD Creator.exe" to download that pesky 462 out of 474 MB file!

Edited to add:

I forgot to thank Beerman and Ogdens for their quick and clearly expert stabs at this hangup. While I may eventually become disenchanted with Roxio through all this, I have to say this community has already demonstrated it has some very responsive and savvy members.

Thanks for your suggestions.

No dice.

My bad though, as I didn't give you full details. I upgraded from the Roxio utility included in my Dell C840 Latitude package, which downloaded the upgrade to the full program from the web. At the time, it instructed me to download "Recover Easy CD&DVD Creator.exe" and use it in the future if I needed to reinstall the program. I was nervous about not having a disc to reinstall, let me tell you, but it seemed there was little alternative (if I get that recovery file downloaded THIS time I can assure you I will dig it out of my Temp files and save it to a disk... if I can get my Creator 6 burner software running again, of course!

I have reinstalled Creator 6 completely from a clean reinstall twice so far, and I still have to use the "Recover Easy CD&DVD. All roads lead to Rome. Or at least through it.

I can remove Roxio from the PC entirely, but I will still be stopped dead in my tracks when I have to use "Recover Easy CD&DVD Creator.exe" to download that pesky 462 out of 474 MB file!

Edited to add:

I forgot to thank Beerman and Ogdens for their quick and clearly expert stabs at this hangup. While I may eventually become disenchanted with Roxio through all this, I have to say this community has already demonstrated it has some very responsive and savvy members.

Thanks for your suggestions.

We are getting there.............were did you get this "Recover Easy CD&DVD Creator.exe" from.

If you got it from Dell (which it sounds like) you will have to contact them.

Let us know.

We are getting there.............were did you get this "Recover Easy CD&DVD Creator.exe" from.

If you got it from Dell (which it sounds like) you will have to contact them.

Let us know.

Unfortunately that's not the case either.

The original trial-ware / limited-ware came from Dell. The rest came when I clicked through to the web and paid for the upgrade.

I've submitted a ticket, and if I get any progress from there I will report the results back to thread both for curiosity's and posterity's sake.

Unfortunately that's not the case either.

The original trial-ware / limited-ware came from Dell. The rest came when I clicked through to the web and paid for the upgrade.

I've submitted a ticket, and if I get any progress from there I will report the results back to thread both for curiosity's and posterity's sake.

You might want to read this http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=9334 (its not good news for you).

There is always the possibility that the 'recovery' program isn't compatable with the original Roxio one - just with the Dell OEM one

Not the issue at the moment. If there were a "compatibility" issue, it wouldn't be in evidence right now.

The "recovery" program is ONLY a file download manager that submits my product license number (automatically it seems) with a license check at the start and then downloads an installation package. If the file were simply not there, I'd know it wasn't available anymore.

HOWEVER a complete 462 megabytes out of 474 megabytes does download. Therefore, the file (or at least 90%+ of it) is there.

You might want to read this http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=9334 (its not good news for you).

No, it's not, but thanks for flagging me to that limitation.

You'd think if Roxio was going to go that route they'd remove the re-installation file that my "recover" program is accessing. If indeed I'm up the creek, I can assure you I won't be buying Roxio as my replacement program. This leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but I'll see if my support ticket is at least answered before I purge Roxio from my bookmarks folder.

I don't know how many times I have to repeat this, but it is not a Dell program. I have the limited ware installation disk, I've used said disk multiple times and it is not ON the disk nor does it get installed FROM the disk.

Your conclusion is not only not supported by the problem as described, it is entirely ruled out by the details of the Dell provided disk and installation results. I downloaded the program when I upgraded from the Dell limited-ware from the Roxio site. Yes, the upgrade was from a Dell provided version, but no, the upgrade did not come from Dell. It came from Roxio.

Not that it seems it is going to matter, but your conclusion is totally out, nor is the program a "download manager" per se. It downloads only one file (at this point incompletely) and has the option of "finishing later." It's not the first such one use only installation/downloader with such an option that I've encountered. I'll bet you've probably encountered such installation/download programs too.

I do really hate repeating myself, but

Roxio downloads do NOT use ANY form of download management (I wish they did as it would save a lot of hassle on large transfers)

You are given a link, you click on that and you download - there is NO other way

Let's see if I got this right:

You got a Dell limited Version.

You bought and downloaded a Full Platinum Version (which is no longer available to download).

You did NOT burn a backup disc of the download.

And you want to download again, altho all that is available now is the updates to the program.

Do I have that right?

Archived