• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Double Layer Dvd Recording

grturek

Question

How does one get "copy DVD" to recognize double layer media. I have movie files in excess of 4.7gb (specifically 7.4gb), copy dvd recognizes that, but still shows medium compression. Note that the Roxio utility software does recognize the drive as DL capabile.

15 answers to this question

How does one get "copy DVD" to recognize double layer media. I have movie files in excess of 4.7gb (specifically 7.4gb), copy dvd recognizes that, but still shows medium compression. Note that the Roxio utility software does recognize the drive as DL capabile.

I am not quite sure what you are trying to do. Do you want to create a DVD from your movie files? In what format are those movie files? Is the 7.4GB file an iso file? What program are you using to copy?

The question asked in the begining was never answered. :)

When using the single drive method to copy a DL-DVD, Disc Copier does not recognize that the drive can write a DL disc. It responds "source is too large to copy on a standard DVD". Well, a DL-DVD is not a standard DVD.

A two step method of coping the source to a hard drive (be sure to select DL-DVD when saving) and then writting to a blank DL-DVD works fine. But why the extra step?

Larry is absolutely correct. My "updated" EMC 7.1.1.189ENU recognizes my DL drive (Sony DRU-720A) and WILL copy an ISO file previously burned from a production to a DL media disk. (I use Verbatim DVD+R DL media) And I have had no problems. And as far as I know, James is also correct regarding the "glitch" he refers to. Although I have never paid much attention to it.

Frank............

Guest mlpasley

That's the standalone version of VideoWave 7 Pro that doesn't support dual layer.

The VideoWave included in Easy Media Creator 7 DOES support dual layer.

I'm not sure Walt if you are referring to the EMC 7 that has not been updated, but ml is absolutely correct. At least EMC 7.1.1.189ENU (updated) Does support DL burning. I have been using it for quite some time now and believe me it does support it !!

Frank.......

I am having the exact same problem. Using Disc Copier (EMC 7.1x) I'm trying to copy a 7 GB ISO to a DL DVD, the Destination drive and Disc and Device utility show blank 8 GB DL DVD in the drive, but the Video Quality indicator only says it will have Medium Quality with compression for a 4.7 GB disc. I want it to copy at full quality without compression since the disc has space, but it looks like the program won't support that. The DVD burner supports DL DVDs, as I have used other programs for copying with success (ie Sonic), but I prefer EMC. Is there an option for turning compression off? Any way to make the Video Quality Indicator show the full 8.0 GB? Any ideas would be appreciated. :)

Just to help clarify (I hope), it is actually the DVDBuilder module that does the setting of the burning to 4.7 or 8.5 (DL) size discs.

In EMC 7 (the suite product, which includes Videowave Pro), as long as the product is version 7.1.x.x or higher, it is an option.

In the standalone Videowave Pro 7 product, which includes a version of DVDBuilder for burning, DL is not an option.

So basically, all 3 of the answers posted are essentially correct.

Is it possible Walt that he has the options set for Joliet rather than no bridge, like I had done just recently or does that come into play when "Copying" a DVD ? I know that when burning a DVD to a DL media disk and it's more than the 4GB Joliet limitation, you have to change the options.

Frank........

Guest mlpasley
. Note that the Roxio utility software does recognize the drive as DL capabile.

Let me clarify..... when you put a DL DVD in your drive, Roxio shows that the DVD is a 4.7 GB DVD?

Are you using VideoWave 7 Pro or Easy Media Creator 7? What version of EMC7 are you using? Have you updated your software?

Have you checked for updates to your DVD drive? The program gets the information about the drive and DVD from the burner, and it sounds like it's not getting the correct information.

I am having the exact same problem. Using Disc Copier (EMC 7.1x) I'm trying to copy a 7 GB ISO to a DL DVD, the Destination drive and Disc and Device utility show blank 8 GB DL DVD in the drive, but the Video Quality indicator only says it will have Medium Quality with compression for a 4.7 GB disc. I want it to copy at full quality without compression since the disc has space, but it looks like the program won't support that. The DVD burner supports DL DVDs, as I have used other programs for copying with success (ie Sonic), but I prefer EMC. Is there an option for turning compression off? Any way to make the Video Quality Indicator show the full 8.0 GB? Any ideas would be appreciated. :)

Ignore it! It is a known glitch and no change of quality will take place provided the 7gb can actually fit on an 8.5gb (8.3gb real) disc.

File size is a useless measure with DVD Movies and ISO files. Length of play is what counts and an 8.5gb only holds 1:57 max.

It might be because Disk Copier does not burn to DL DVD's. It can read any DVD's that your DVD Drive can, but the burning process only goes to a standard 4.7 GB DVD. The same thing is in DVD Builder. It only supports burning to 4.7 GB DVD's.

This information by richardteam is incorrect. Starting in v7.1, dual layer support was added to EMC.

richardteam,

Based on your other posts, you currently only have Videowave 7 Pro, not EMC 7.x

You should probably refrain from posting information on a product that you do not have unless you can point to a post or a product spec that supports your post. It will only cause confusion and likely tick others off.

Just to help clarify (I hope), it is actually the DVDBuilder module that does the setting of the burning to 4.7 or 8.5 (DL) size discs.

In EMC 7 (the suite product, which includes Videowave Pro), as long as the product is version 7.1.x.x or higher, it is an option.

In the standalone Videowave Pro 7 product, which includes a version of DVDBuilder for burning, DL is not an option.

So basically, all 3 of the answers posted are essentially correct.

I know EMC 7.1??? and higher supports DL burning for video but the original poster said Videowave 7 (I assumed that is stand-alone Videowave 7 Pro) which does not support DL video burning

This information by richardteam is incorrect. Starting in v7.1, dual layer support was added to EMC.

richardteam,

Based on your other posts, you currently only have Videowave 7 Pro, not EMC 7.x

You should probably refrain from posting information on a product that you do not have unless you can point to a post or a product spec that supports your post. It will only cause confusion and likely tick others off.

Actually, he should refrain from posting, period!

Archived