• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Video card Spec

Huskertko

Question

I am looking to upgrade my current video card because I am having so many problems editing video, but what should I look for? I am going to get at least 256 MB card but other than that I don't have a clue as to what to look for. There is such a price difference with them that I am completely confused, I have seen 256 cards ranging in price from $75-$200, what is the difference? I play some games but mostly sport games like golf and flight simulator, but I do want to be able to edit home movies and DVD's that I recorded off of television.

My current card is a Raedon X300 128 PCI. I have 1.5 Gigs of RAM, and a 2.8Ghz P4 Processor. I have 80Gig internal HD and 160 Gig external HD.

Thanks for any assistance.

5 answers to this question

First check to see type of slot you have available. That Radeon X300 is on the mobo? Check your mobo to see if you have PCI express (black) or AGP (brown) slot. Regular PCI slot are white. For Videowave/MyDVD, just check the box that is states DirectX 9. Most cards in the price range you quoted should work just fine.

Hello everyone,

I have read numerous messages from users who have installd the Creator 9 and have run into problems specifically with the video card. Before I install my disk, I wonder if any of you have installed it successfully on a Sony Vaio model PCV-RX860 which was purchased back in 2003.

I am beinng specific because I do not want to spend any money in upgrades as I will be looking for a new computer in two years.

Any thoughts/advices will be greatly appreciated

According to Sony's website:

Video & Graphics

SIS651 Integrated Graphics with Real256™

2D/3D Graphics Accelerator

32MB Shared Graphics Memory (64MB Max.)

Don't think that video chipset will work very well. It may work ok in software render mode, but with only 64MB video memory max., I sort of doubt that, too.

BUT you do have room for a Video card:

Expansion Slots

One 4x AGP

Three PCI (one occupied by Modem)

Memory Stick® Media Slot

You would be better off in the long run buying a new video card that fits the AGP 4x slot. There should be a way to turn off the integrated video in the BIOS.

First check to see type of slot you have available. That Radeon X300 is on the mobo? Check your mobo to see if you have PCI express (black) or AGP (brown) slot. Regular PCI slot are white. For Videowave/MyDVD, just check the box that is states DirectX 9. Most cards in the price range you quoted should work just fine.

So will a card that is a regular PCI card not work?

Archived