• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Wireless Options for Connecting Tivo to Mac?

Vik

Question

7 answers to this question

It looks like the TiVo Wireless G USB Network Adapter is not compatible with the DirecTV Tivo:

http://www.tivo.com/2.7.1.asp

Patatrox, does Toast 8 work with the HD DirectTV Tivo HR 10-250?

Toast 8 works with TiVoToGo compatible TiVo DVRs, such as the series 2.

Is that model compatible with TiVoToGo for the PC? If so, then yes. Unfortunately I don't have the DirectTV model so I can't say with certainty.

Series 2 TiVOs, which I believe are the only ones compatible with TiVO2Go, are capable of wireless transfers using 802.11b or 802.11g USB adapters. TiVO started selling their own 802.11g adapters last year. I had used Linksys 802.11b adapters successfully and tried 3rd party 802.11g adapters without success. After upgrading to TiVOs own 802.11g adapters, I have had great success and transfer speeds between the TiVOs and between the TiVOs and my computers are very good.

So all you need is:

A TiVO series 2 with a TiVO 802.11g adapter; and

A Macintosh with an AirPort Extreme card; optionally

A Wireless access point

If you have a WAP, then just add the adapter to the TiVO, get TiVO talking on the network, install the required TiVO2Go and Toast software, and you should be good to go.

If you don't have a WAP, then you'll need to configure your Macintosh's AirPort adapter to enable sharing of your wired Ethernet connection. You do this in the Sharing, Internet preferences panel.

Archived