• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 26 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Converting Cassette Tapes

bobcats1232

Question

I am using EMC 8 to transfer cassette tapes to digital format. I am not able to hear the music play as it is being recorded. Am I missing a setting or have the connection wrong. I am using an external USB sound card. I used to use Nero and the was a setting to 'monitor' the project. Is there something similar in EMC 8 or is this not possible?

8 answers to this question

In jack? I would have thought that it would have been the out jack.

Yes, it would have to be the "Out" jacks of the cassette deck.

To hear your signal, you can put a "Y" adapter on both the left and right channels, between the Cassette Deck and the USB unit so you can run a cable from there to your Line-In on your sound card. That cable usually has two RCA plugs at one end, and a 1/8" stereo plug at the other.

One "Y" adapter could look something like this.

post-61-1173400702.jpg

If you do that just make sure that Line-in in the record part of the mixer is muted

Actually, that won't be a problem because he'll be recording from a different device.

For the playback part, he'll need to leave the line-in on the sound card unmuted so he can hear what's being played.

I am using EMC 8 to transfer cassette tapes to digital format. I am not able to hear the music play as it is being recorded. Am I missing a setting or have the connection wrong. I am using an external USB sound card. I used to use Nero and the was a setting to 'monitor' the project. Is there something similar in EMC 8 or is this not possible?

I use a USB device to capture audio too, and no, I can't hear the sound from the USB device through my sound cards while I record either. If you can see the volume level moving as your recording, and if you're getting a good recording when you're done, that may be as good as you'll get. Since I also have an internal sound card, I split the signal and run it through my internal sound card, that way I can hear it while recording, and I also use that for playback.

The Nero software has a way of passing capturing the signal from the USB and running it back through your internal sound card internally, but I didn't like their capture software. EMC 8 doesn't have any way to do that that I've found.

Yes you are correct. It is the OUT jacks. I was single mindedly thinking about how I was going to get a signal to the IN jack of the sound card. the y splitters below make sense to me know.

Thanks to all who responded.

Open Volume Control, ensure Line-In is not muted (unchecked), then under "Options" select "Properties", click "Recording" and insure that Line-In is checked. Click "OK" and you will see the volume controls for recording. Insure Line-In is selected (checked) as your recording device and set to a proper level.

If that is not the problem tell us how you are connected to your sound card from your cassette recorder.

I use a USB device to capture audio too, and no, I can't hear the sound from the USB device through my sound cards while I record either. If you can see the volume level moving as your recording, and if you're getting a good recording when you're done, that may be as good as you'll get. Since I also have an internal sound card, I split the signal and run it through my internal sound card, that way I can hear it while recording, and I also use that for playback.

The Nero software has a way of passing capturing the signal from the USB and running it back through your internal sound card internally, but I didn't like their capture software. EMC 8 doesn't have any way to do that that I've found.

Can you explain further the splitting of the signal. I am using an ADS Tech instant music device that connects via rca cables to the IN jack of the cassette deck and then via usb to the laptop.

Can you explain further the splitting of the signal. I am using an ADS Tech instant music device that connects via rca cables to the IN jack of the cassette deck and then via usb to the laptop.

Archived