• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Post opening shutdown

bretz

Question

I have installed and repaired Roxio and continue to get a pop up window that says"Roxio Creator has encountered a problem and needs to close" after I accept or decline notifying MS, Roxio disappears from my screen. Please help

9 answers to this question

If you installed Internet Explorer 7 and/or Windows Media Player 11, uninstall them - they have been causing a lot of problems

I just purchased a Mad Dog lightscribe 18X triple format internal DVD-RW drive model MD-18XTLI and it came with Roxio Creator 8.2 XE. After installation, the home screen actually comes up on the screen then displays the same fault window bretz had. I had IE7 installed with Windows Media Played is 9.00. I have read your responses to other similar issues and uninstalled IE7 and am back to IE6. I've uninstalled 8.2XE and reinstalled 8.2XE numerous times to no avail. The same fault window keeps popping up. Here is what the error signature tells me:

appname:roxio_central.exe

appver:3.3.71.0

modname:pxafs.dll

modver:3.0.88.500

offset:000017ba

I have PC Tools registry mechanic 6.0 and ran that but still no good.

Any ideas?? I can still return it to CompUSA if I have to. Tech support was no help.

Interesting thing is if I drag the fault window out of the way, I can play with the home screen. I haven't tried to do anything (burn a cd) because of the fault window being up. I was using Nero ver 5 for my CD burner and I uninstalled it (after I did a google search) when 8.2 said it was uncompatible.

I'm a newbie to the DVD burner world so be gentle, this is my first one.

I just purchased a Mad Dog lightscribe 18X triple format internal DVD-RW drive model MD-18XTLI and it came with Roxio Creator 8.2 XE. After installation, the home screen actually comes up on the screen then displays the same fault window bretz had. I had IE7 installed with Windows Media Played is 9.00. I have read your responses to other similar issues and uninstalled IE7 and am back to IE6. I've uninstalled 8.2XE and reinstalled 8.2XE numerous times to no avail. The same fault window keeps popping up. Here is what the error signature tells me:

Any ideas?? I can still return it to CompUSA if I have to. Tech support was no help.

Interesting thing is if I drag the fault window out of the way, I can play with the home screen. I haven't tried to do anything (burn a cd) because of the fault window being up. I was using Nero ver 5 for my CD burner and I uninstalled it (after I did a google search) when 8.2 said it was uncompatible.

Contact Mad Dog it is their OEM version of Roxio.

Read this http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/General%20I...mation/000036GN

Contact Mad Dog it is their OEM version of Roxio.

Read this http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/General%20I...mation/000036GN

Sorry, I should have been more clear about that. I did contact Mad Dog tech support but they were unable to help. THey are aware of their software issues but cannot help at this time :) I also played with the Roxio 20 question girl too. I can go to the Roxio folder in start-programs list and open the individual features/programs. I just can't get the home screen to work. I haven't tried to actually use the programs yet. My OS is XP pro with SP2 with the latest updates.

Hard to say - Maddog are supposed to support their OEM version and, never having seen that one, I couldn't comment really

When I spoke to the Maddog tech I could sense the frustration in his voice. He wanted to help but didn't have any definitive answers. My drive was manufactured Nov '06, you'd think they'd have been all over this problem by now.

I paid $39.99 at CompUSA after rebates. As I said earlier, this is my first DVD drive. Do I bite the bullet too as Bretz did and purchase creator 9 or do I return this drive and purchase a 'name' brand for a few dollars more with different software? 8.2xe looks like it has lots of features(haven't tried any yet, afraid too with bum home startup screen). I like the lightscribe feature the drive provides and that DVD discs hold lots of data. Your opinions are greatly appreciated. Right now I'm inclined to go with another DVD drive. Any opinions about Roxio vs other DVD software and drives?

Thanks in advance, Sal

When I spoke to the Maddog tech I could sense the frustration in his voice. He wanted to help but didn't have any definitive answers. My drive was manufactured Nov '06, you'd think they'd have been all over this problem by now.

I paid $39.99 at CompUSA after rebates. As I said earlier, this is my first DVD drive. Do I bite the bullet too as Bretz did and purchase creator 9 or do I return this drive and purchase a 'name' brand for a few dollars more with different software? 8.2xe looks like it has lots of features(haven't tried any yet, afraid too with bum home startup screen). I like the lightscribe feature the drive provides and that DVD discs hold lots of data. Your opinions are greatly appreciated. Right now I'm inclined to go with another DVD drive. Any opinions about Roxio vs other DVD software and drives?

Thanks in advance, Sal

There is a free trial of EMC 9 (make sure you exceed the mininum system requirements)

http://www.roxio.com/enu/promotions/landing/creator_trial/

I finally bit the bullet and purchased Roxio Media Creator 9 after uninstalling the one (8) that came with the Mad Dog unit. This solved my problem. Do you think it was planned this way?

BRETZ

I finally bit the bullet and purchased Roxio Media Creator 9 after uninstalling the one (8) that came with the Mad Dog unit. This solved my problem. Do you think it was planned this way?

BRETZ

Hard to say - Maddog are supposed to support their OEM version and, never having seen that one, I couldn't comment really

BRETZ

We couldn't have planned it that way. I think just installing a different version made a difference. I suspect that if you did a clean uninstall and possibly created a new user account and installed version 8 there that could have solved the problem. If that is so, it would really point to a problem on the system, rather then our software.

Again, I think the newer version worked because of it's differences. If our plan was for version 8 to never work, then back before 9 was released we would have had endless problems.

Archived