• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

AVI to DVD

tatala

Question

I am lost and would like to know how to convert an avi file in a folder on my computer to a DVD file on my conmputer. Than I want to burn it to a DVD so that I can view it on my tv by using its DVD Player. I have Easy Media Creatir 7. Thanks

20 answers to this question

How did you create the DVD that plays fine on on your TV but will not play on your computer? What program component did you use to burn the DVD?

If DVD Builder will not accept the avi files and gives you an "unsupported format message then those avi file are propably in DivX format and you will have use the "DivX to DVD Creator" option.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes I burned them using the DivX to DVD Creator option. Now is there anyway that I can also get the DVD to play on my computer? I am open to all suggestions. Thank you and you are correct in your above statements.

I have tried it in two computers and they won't play. I place the disk in the DVD player and when it doesn't

start. Than I try to open it with Windows media player. It says Windows Media Player can't play this file because a compatible DVD decoder isn't installed on this computer.

have you installed a dvd decoder on your pc? can you play other dvd's?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes I burned them using the DivX to DVD Creator option. Now is there anyway that I can also get the DVD to play on my computer? I am open to all suggestions. Thank you and you are correct in your above statements.

If you burned them in your computer, and they are DVD compliant movies on your DVD, then they should play on your computer with no problem. I guess the question is how you are trying to play it on your computer. What are you doing to try to get it to play?

Ok we have the DVD disk burned and it plays fine on my tv which is great. However I can't get it to play on my computer? I get the burner/player saying please insert disk? I can't open or explore the disk and it won't play? What do I need to do?

When I tried to Add new title for the avi file it says the format of the file is not supported by the application.

Did you mean MyDVD not MTDVD?

What version of which Roxio/Sonic program do you have?

If in roxio and avi files are red x-ed out then

there is a divx xvid work around for that.

Sometimes dvd builder doesnt open avi

files depends on the version.

Also you might need a divx codec if the

disc you made plays in a dvd player

but not on your p.c.

If you burned them in your computer, and they are DVD compliant movies on your DVD, then they should play on your computer with no problem. I guess the question is how you are trying to play it on your computer. What are you doing to try to get it to play?

I have tried it in two computers and they won't play. I place the disk in the DVD player and when it doesn't

start. Than I try to open it with Windows media player. It says Windows Media Player can't play this file because a compatible DVD decoder isn't installed on this computer.

XP doesn't have native DVD playing capability and it needs an external program that can handle the DVD. With that installed, then WMP will play it - sort of catch 22 really.

You could try downloading and installing the Klite codec pack and see if that helps

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

Get the full version (it's the same price - nothing :) )

Avi file attempting to burn using MTDVD. When I transfer the file, the burn button goes light-meaning the program will not burn the avi file. So, what is wrong? I downloaded a trial program with water mark and the burn process using the trial program (with water mark) worked perfect.

If anyone out there has the solution and no doubt simple..please let me know at the following email:

Thanks much/RH

Email edited out to prevent spamming.

Avi file attempting to burn using MTDVD. When I transfer the file, the burn button goes light-meaning the program will not burn the avi file. So, what is wrong? I downloaded a trial program with water mark and the burn process using the trial program (with water mark) worked perfect.

If anyone out there has the solution and no doubt simple..please let me know at the following email:

Thanks much/RH

Did you mean MyDVD not MTDVD?

What version of which Roxio/Sonic program do you have?

Ok we have the DVD disk burned and it plays fine on my tv which is great. However I can't get it to play on my computer? I get the burner/player saying please insert disk? I can't open or explore the disk and it won't play? What do I need to do?

When I tried to Add new title for the avi file it says the format of the file is not supported by the application.

How did you create the DVD that plays fine on on your TV but will not play on your computer? What program component did you use to burn the DVD?

If DVD Builder will not accept the avi files and gives you an "unsupported format message then those avi file are propably in DivX format and you will have use the "DivX to DVD Creator" option.

I am lost and would like to know how to convert an avi file in a folder on my computer to a DVD file on my conmputer. Than I want to burn it to a DVD so that I can view it on my tv by using its DVD Player. I have Easy Media Creatir 7. Thanks

If you don't want to do any editing of that .avi file, open DVD Builder, and bring in that .avi, then burn it to disc or image file (preferred).

You can make changes to the background that will show when you first put the DVD in your set top DVD player. Also the background music for the menu.

If you burn to an image (.iso) file, you will then burn it to a DVD disc, using Disc Copier.

If you don't want to do any editing of that .avi file, open DVD Builder, and bring in that .avi, then burn it to disc or image file (preferred).

OK I am confused? Are you saying that I can load the avi file in Easy Media and just burn it to disk under "Copy Files to Disk." In other words just select the avi file from my folder and enter it in the software and than just burn it. Do I want to do a data disk or an audio disk for this movie?

Are you saying that making an image (iso) file first is best and than burn that image to a DVD? If so do I make the image and put that in a folder on my computer and than burn that iso file to the disk? Will that now play in any DVD Player? Thanks

OK I am confused? Are you saying that I can load the avi file in Easy Media and just burn it to disk. In other words just select the avi file from my folder and enter it in the software and than just burn it. Do I want to do a data disk or an audio disk for this movie?

Are you saying that making an image (iso) file first is best and than burn that image to a DVD? If so do I make the image and put that in a folder on my computer and than burn that iso file to the disk? Will that now play in any DVD Player? Thanks

Yes, I am saying that DVD Builder will make that .avi into a DVD that can be viewed on a television. Try bringing it into DVD Builder and burn directly to a disc, first. That will get your feet wet.

I guarantee that you won't want the obnoxious menu music that you will hear when you startup that DVD in your set top player, but you can change that by swapping the default one, with a music file you have on your hard drive. Just right click in the Menu Editor screen, and click on Change Background Audio, then browse to whatever music you want to play for the menu. If you don't want any, click on Remove Background Audio.

If you have an AVI file that is on your computer that you have captured or gotten from some other way and want to do anything with it as far as editing it (i.e. adding other audio, editing the video file, adding some transitions or text slides etc.) then I suggest you open Videowave and enter the video there (in the Timeline view).

Then do what ever editing you want, add other items and then save the production with a name of your choice and to a folder of your choice. That will be saved as a *. DMSM file. Then open up DVDBuilder (version 7) and open that dmsm file in that program. From there you can add other items, preview your production, as well and when completed, burn the file to disc or to an ISO file on your hard drive as a DVD.

Frank...

OK you say open DVD Builder. Under DVD I have Copy DVD, Create new DVD, Plug & Burn or DivX to DVD Creator. Which do I want? Thanks again and your help is appreciated.

If you don't want to edit out anything, chose Create new DVD. That will open DVD Builder.

If you want to edit the video, under Video, choose Edit video which will open VideoWave.

I have a movie that is downloaded to my computer and it is in two avi files in two different folders. Now I want to burn those two avi files to one DVD disk and end up with a disk that I can view the movie on my tv by using its dvd player. I have Easy Media v7.0. Please can someone tell me how to do that. I don't want to do anything else. Thank you for your help.

Do I choose DivX to DVD and select the two avi files, and after the encoding is completed do I say burn with Disc Copier?

Same thing as what gradpabruce advised in his first post.

If you are not doing an editing to your avi files, just bring in the two avi files in DVDBuilder by selecting Add New Title for each avi file. Then Burn to an image file. Afterwards, use Disc Copier to burn the image file to a DVD. You should come up with a DVD that has two movies on it.

Archived