• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

BackUpMyPC Catalog Recovery Problem

Nefarian

Question

Trying to open a BUMP.qic file created prior to a HDD reformat.

After reinstalling BackUpMY PC 6.0 Got received this error from the "Device View Progress" window...

"This Media contains no backups. It cannot be cataloged. Please insert a another media to continue."

Then displays a dialog window to select another file.

Any thoughts on how to recover the contents of the Archive or view the catalog?

fyi : Full Admin rights, not Read Only, previous directory struture is no longer available.

Thanks in advance.

5 answers to this question

Nefarian, I am not sure what to tell you at this point, other than the file is possibly corrupt. I did a backup to my external HDD, then deleted it's entry in the catalog. Using device view on the restore, it had no problem with building a temp catalog with the file. I then moved the file to another location, markled it as read only, hidden, and had windows compress it to save space. It still had no problem building a temp catalog and restoring from the file.

I then took a txt file and renamed it to a backup name.qic. Only then do I get an error with the message you mention.

If you had said you backed up with an old version like 4 and was trying to restore with 6 I could understand the problem, but backing up and restoring with the same version makes me keep coming back to a corrupt file.

As I said I tried multiple things to recreate the problem and the only success I had was if I actually created a corrupt file. Sorry.

If I can come up with anything, I will post it here.

Thank you for the reply. I noticed the same behavior after testing it in the manner as you did. Just to make sure. The file appears to be corrupted.

Other apps do not play well with it either. As least those that recognize the .qic format. (it was a shot.)

Meh, lesson learned. But, if you come across anything lemme know. I will hang on to the file, as there are a couple of items in it I would to retrive.

Again thanks. You've been most helpful.

Nef

The backup was to an External HDD.

Thx

Nefarian, I am not sure what to tell you at this point, other than the file is possibly corrupt. I did a backup to my external HDD, then deleted it's entry in the catalog. Using device view on the restore, it had no problem with building a temp catalog with the file. I then moved the file to another location, markled it as read only, hidden, and had windows compress it to save space. It still had no problem building a temp catalog and restoring from the file.

I then took a txt file and renamed it to a backup name.qic. Only then do I get an error with the message you mention.

If you had said you backed up with an old version like 4 and was trying to restore with 6 I could understand the problem, but backing up and restoring with the same version makes me keep coming back to a corrupt file.

As I said I tried multiple things to recreate the problem and the only success I had was if I actually created a corrupt file. Sorry.

If I can come up with anything, I will post it here.

Thank you for the reply. I noticed the same behavior after testing it in the manner as you did. Just to make sure. The file appears to be corrupted.

Other apps do not play well with it either. As least those that recognize the .qic format. (it was a shot.)

Meh, lesson learned. But, if you come across anything lemme know. I will hang on to the file, as there are a couple of items in it I would to retrive.

Again thanks. You've been most helpful.

Nef

The lessons I learned in the past are multiple back up software, to multiple media types, and keep at least 3 generations.

As far as other files using it, it wouldn't as the file is compressed to save space. Who wants to back up 10GB of word docs that are mostly spaces.

Trying to open a BUMP.qic file created prior to a HDD reformat.

After reinstalling BackUpMY PC 6.0 Got received this error from the "Device View Progress" window...

"This Media contains no backups. It cannot be cataloged. Please insert a another media to continue."

Then displays a dialog window to select another file.

Any thoughts on how to recover the contents of the Archive or view the catalog?

fyi : Full Admin rights, not Read Only, previous directory struture is no longer available.

Thanks in advance.

Make sure you go to media view. With that you can create a temporary catalog to do the restore.

Also, what was the backup to, external HDD, DVD and if DVD, what type.

Archived