• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Transfer halted halfway through

cantona7

Question

I downloaded Toast 8 and the installation went fine. No problems seeing my Tivo on my Mac. So I decided to do a test transfer of an episode of "Shark"--2.5 GB, 1 hour duration. The first 1.2 GB transfers in about 30 minutes, then it gets hung up and nothing else happens. I tried this more than once, and the last time, I left it all of last night and never got past the 1.2 GB mark. It's not a disk space issue because I've got plenty of room on my drive.

The weird thing is that I don't get any error messages and the software doesn't think the transfer is done either. It just keeps reporting that it has another X hours to go before completion. The partial transfer does play OK and it is almost exactly 30 mins of the 1-hour episode.

Roxio, please help. This is the only reason I bought Toast 8.

13 answers to this question

Members of the Toast team do read and respond to posts on these boards.

We've been reading every post on the TiVoToGo forum and have communicated all the various issues related to TiVo Transfer to TiVo. We are interested in resolving these issues as much as our customers are and will work with TiVo to do so.

We understand your frustration and appreciate your patience.

I suggest you let them know it has nothing to do with channel changes. My programs stop transferring at under one meg - almost every time. Roxio is going to have to start giving refunds soon.

My mistake - my problem IS the "channel change" bug - transfers the first few seconds then quits. The other people experiencing failures after downloading half a program couldn't be the same bug.

Members of the Toast team do read and respond to posts on these boards.

We've been reading every post on the TiVoToGo forum and have communicated all the various issues related to TiVo Transfer to TiVo. We are interested in resolving these issues as much as our customers are and will work with TiVo to do so.

We understand your frustration and appreciate your patience.

I suggest you let them know it has nothing to do with channel changes. My programs stop transferring at under one meg - almost every time. Roxio is going to have to start giving refunds soon.

I experience a similar problem when I transfer from tivo to mac. It seems that a lot of the recordings wether they are 1G, 2.5G, or other size begin to transfer but finish at 1.3 Mb. It is really annoying and disappointing. I hope there is a fix for it soon.

"Members of the Toast team do read and respond to posts on these boards."

They may have been reading, but they certainly haven't been responding.

"...and have communicated all the various issues related to TiVo Transfer to TiVo. We are interested in resolving these issues as much as our customers are and will work with TiVo to do so."

What makes you think this is a problem related to TiVo at all? Are you actually reading this thread? The problem is our transfers are stopping AT THE SAME EXACT POINT EVERY TIME. What could TiVo possibly have to do with that? Is my TiVo doing something every time my transfer hits 1.1GB? That's odd, because TiVo Desktop on my PC seems to manage just fine.

This is not a TiVo issue, it is a software issue. What you should be doing is trying to ascertain why your software is stalling out on some systems and not on others. Instead, you blame TiVo.

"We are interested in resolving these issues as much as our customers are and will work with TiVo to do so."

Clearly you aren't. All you really seem interested in is passing the buck.

Roxio is accepting no responsibility for this fatal defect in their software solution and placing all blame on TiVo. Roxio is claiming that they "weren't aware" of this issue until mid-January when users started complaining. This seems dubious since even moderate beta testing would have revealed this fatal flaw and that TiVo and TDM (The unofficial solution) users have been reporting this issue since early November. Guess Roxio is expecting its users to pay for the privilege of beta testing their software. Toast 8 is definitely not release candidate ready.

What we have so far is this statement from Roxio:

http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Toast/000048T

TiVo's promise of a fix "soon" should be viewed in the light of their last promise of TiVoToGo software for Macintosh "real soon"... which took two years and arrived broken.

Roxio, we want to know that you are ACTIVELY pushing TiVo to rectify this fatal flaw quickly since it undermines THE major advantage in upgrading to Toast 8.

:)

Roxio this MUST BE ADDRESSED IMMEDIATELY!!

97% of all attempts to transfer Tivo shows to my mac fail. Some files only make it 1/3 of the way through others only 1/2 way through.

Not only did I pay $99 for Toast 8, I spent $59 to put connect my Tivo to my Wireless network.

This has been an utter waste of money. The product is defective and does not deliver the functionality that it promises.

I don't see a word from Roxio about this bug. Which is even more disturbing.

Roxio you need to acknowledge the bug and let us know when it will be fixed!!!

Are you actually reading this thread? The problem is our transfers are stopping AT THE SAME EXACT POINT EVERY TIME. What could TiVo possibly have to do with that? Is my TiVo doing something every time my transfer hits 1.1GB? That's odd, because TiVo Desktop on my PC seems to manage just fine.

This is not a TiVo issue, it is a software issue. What you should be doing is trying to ascertain why your software is stalling out on some systems and not on others. Instead, you blame TiVo.

Yes, in fact I have read this thread, and every thread in these forums.

I'm not blaming TiVo... they've come right out and said that their November 2006 service update is the cause behind the transfers being interrupted before completing.

Also, the TiVo Transfer software is actually written by TiVo... Roxio wrote the playback, burning and conversion software. So, when it comes to transfering shows from your TiVo to your Mac - it is TiVo who needs to address the issues... and as I said earlier, we're working with them to get these resolved.

I'm not trying to place blame anywhere - it doesn't do any good - what I do want to do is help Toast work for our customers.

"This is known bug introduced in the November 2006 TiVo software upgrade. It affects a relatively small percentage of users who have a digital cable set-top box. TiVo will update the DVR software with a fix soon. This is not caused by a defect in the TiVo Transfer software, and affects both Mac and PC users equally."

Except I'm not using a digital cable set-top box and the transfers stop AT THE SAME EXACT SPOT EVERY TIME!!!

Do you mean to infer that, coincidentally, my Tivo is changing channels by itself at the exact time 1.1GB has been transferred every single time I do a transfer?

And what exactly is the point to these boards if Roxio is not reading them?

Same thing here. Approximately 50% of the transfers hang part way through. Other symptoms include:

-- If you click "Stop Transfer" on the current file, the next file in the Auto Transfer queue does not start

-- Rebooting and restarting Toast will allow you to restart the transfer, but it will often hang again

-- As others have said, there is no error message displayed

-- The only indication of a problem is the Status window where the no. of MBs transfered stops progressing

-- In my case, the xfers do not hang after just 2 seconds, but usually 30-40% through the transfer

Finally -- and the biggest pain in the *ss -- is that closing Toast and restarting is not sufficient to revive the Auto Transfer queue. Even stopping the current transfer when hung and then rebooting will NOT enable the Auto Transfer queue to recover. You have to DELETE all the Auto Transfers and then start over. And, of course, you never get through the queue because inevitably a transfer will hang in fairly short order.

Very frustrating! Tivo/Roxio, this is a FATAL BUG and you need to address it immediately!

Clearly this is a different issue than the "channel changing in the first few seconds, it's Tivo's responsibility" posts throughout this board.

I would like to know if this is being addressed at all or if Roxio is okay with this software being completely useless to those of us experiencing this same problem.

Every transfer I attempt stalls out at 1.1GB. Regardless of the time of day, computer activity, what the Tivo is currently doing... stalls out every single time at 1.1GB.

I'll add my misery to this...

I have tried six transfers (some multiple times). Only two have completed the transfer. One took over six hours to complete.

The unsuccessful transfers, when they were tried more than once always stopped in the same place, When I watched the unsuccessful transfers on on vid they would play to completion.

Maybe there is a hiccup in the signal that in some way interrupts the process. So far I'm not real pleased with entire package. I really don't like paying $99 (less discounts and rebates) for the privilege of beta-testing.

mrkwst

I get the same exact thing! I click transfer and it will transfer between half and three quarters of the file and then just stop! The time starts climbing and thats it. It doesnt finish! I spent 99 Dollars for this crap! The only reason that I got this program was for tivo to go for mac. Someone needs to fix this issue or refund my money. ROXIO Please HELP!

I downloaded Toast 8 and the installation went fine. No problems seeing my Tivo on my Mac. So I decided to do a test transfer of an episode of "Shark"--2.5 GB, 1 hour duration. The first 1.2 GB transfers in about 30 minutes, then it gets hung up and nothing else happens. I tried this more than once, and the last time, I left it all of last night and never got past the 1.2 GB mark. It's not a disk space issue because I've got plenty of room on my drive.

The weird thing is that I don't get any error messages and the software doesn't think the transfer is done either. It just keeps reporting that it has another X hours to go before completion. The partial transfer does play OK and it is almost exactly 30 mins of the 1-hour episode.

Roxio, please help. This is the only reason I bought Toast 8.

Archived