This software is obsolete should not be for sale - do not buy it

Gonga

I have used Adaptec Easy CD Creator since version 2.0

I just purchased CD & DVD Burner brand new from Amazon. And now I discover it's a "Legacy product!"

It doesn't recognize EITHER of my DVD burners, both of which are MORE THAN 2 YEARS OLD! One is a Toshiba, the other is a NEC!

I went to Tech Support at Roxio and started a "ticket." It still has not been answered after more than a week. I have tried twice to Live Chat - no one is available! There is no phone number for technical issues, just "customer support." In short, there is effectively no technical support for this product at all.

I see we're supposed to "roll back" to IE 6.0. This is a new install of WinXP and rolling back isn't an option. Besides, if a piece of software doesn't work with the most ubiquitous Internet Browser, it needs a p[atch, or, it needs to be pulled off the shelves.

In sum, this is the worst "new" product I've purchased in years, and the tech support is also the worst I've experienced in a long time.

My money is simply shot with no hope of this software ever working. That is unacceptable. When this happens to me, I stop buying software from that company...for good. That means Roxio has lost a faithful, long-term customer.

DO NOT PURCHASE THIS PRODUCT.

So what do you want those of us who have bought the software to do? We simply try to help people use it because we have it ourselves.

If you want to complain to Roxio, try googling their head office address, which I think is in California.

Lynn

If they get enough bad review from customer like us they will have to address the problem!!!

If they get enough bad review from customer like us they will have to address the problem!!!

You seem to be under some misimpression Roxio staff read these boards.

Once in a while they turn up - you can recognize them by the Roxio logo by their names. And most of the time Roxio staff turn up, it's on the newer products - such as EMC 9.

The last software updates for Version 6 were in 2003 - and there won't be any more.

Lynn

The program gets the information about the CD/DVD burner from the burner.

I'd suggest that you visit the Toshiba and NEC websites to see if there are any updates/firmware for your burners.

However, if you're using Internet Explorer 7, you'll need to uninstall 7 and use 6. Internet Explorer ' breaks' older Roxio products and Roxio products are not the only software it 'breaks.' For an explanation of why IE 7 causes older software to malfunction, I'd suggest you contact Microsoft.

The software you purchased it technically 'new' because it's in an unopened box, but the software itself is not 'new.'

So what do you want those of us who have bought the software to do? We simply try to help people use it because we have it ourselves.

If you want to complain to Roxio, try googling their head office address, which I think is in California.

Lynn

I think you are teriffic.

Not long ago, I used to visit boards to check on bugs before I'd consider buying a product. This experience is going to make me start doing that again.

I posted in the hopes of alerting potential customers that this product is not worth the $.

my burners are old enough that firmware updates haven't been issued for 1-2 years.

Gonga,

Don't be coy - tell us what your burners are.

Right click My Computer, select properties, (then hardware, if in XP), Device Manager. Find the DVD/CDROM icon, click on the + alongside to expand it and you will see an icon and text information for each CD/DVD device installed. This text is the ID String. Please quote it exactly.

You could also tell us if you ARE using IE7 instead of just hinting.

I have a Toshiba SD-R5372. It's current firmware update is pretty old now.

The other drive is currently not in the puter and I don't have the model # handy, but it's the original NEC 4x DVD+RW that came with my Dell almost 3 years ago. It wasn't recognized when installed on the secondary IDE channel.

My guess is IE7 is causing the problem, but to uninstall it and install an older IE6 seems like a bad idea, and I'm not going to do it. Shouldn't have to. The reason for my post is the lack of support from Roxio...I wanted people to know how bad it is. For me, there isn't any.

Gonga,

Don't be coy - tell us what your burners are.

Right click My Computer, select properties, (then hardware, if in XP), Device Manager. Find the DVD/CDROM icon, click on the + alongside to expand it and you will see an icon and text information for each CD/DVD device installed. This text is the ID String. Please quote it exactly.

You could also tell us if you ARE using IE7 instead of just hinting.

People don't come to the Forums until AFTER they buy the product, and then a lot of them don't know how to use a scrollbar or PgDn key and post it somewhere else that they have just bought a DVD-DL burner and Easy CD & DVD Burning.

The Sonic Marketing folks apparently assumed they could squeeze a bit more from their purchase of Roxio software (and brand) from the company that has since renamed itself Napster, and re-released this as a basic burning program.

The people you need to be explaining this to are the Sonic Marketing folks.

Headquarters

Sonic Solutions

101 Rowland Way

Novato, CA 94945

Tel: 415-893-8000

Fax: 415-893-8008

Email: info@sonic.com

All they are giving out on Roxio is customer service numbers, which probably isn't waht you are looking for.

http://www.roxio.com/enu/company/contact.html

Lynn

I have a Toshiba SD-R5372. It's current firmware update is pretty old now.

The other drive is currently not in the puter and I don't have the model # handy, but it's the original NEC 4x DVD+RW that came with my Dell almost 3 years ago. It wasn't recognized when installed on the secondary IDE channel.

My guess is IE7 is causing the problem, but to uninstall it and install an older IE6 seems like a bad idea, and I'm not going to do it. Shouldn't have to. The reason for my post is the lack of support from Roxio...I wanted people to know how bad it is. For me, there isn't any.

Gonga - IE7 IS your problem: it has broken every Roxio product up to version 8, is also reported as causing problems with v9 and is also causing a LOT of problems with other software and not just Roxio.

It is so 'critical' that MS actually issued a patch to give everyone the option to NOT install it (it was pushed through as a critical update and immediately a lot of software developed problems)

However, if you choose to retain it, then that's your choice - but be advised that it is the cause of your problems - nothing else

I hope you're right Daithi!

This version CD & DVD Burner in the Red Box, seems

to have this problem without IE7.............

cd

CD, it is simply, as the title of the thread implies, dated software. That the Sonic beancounters are trying to wring out some additional income from their puchase of Roxio doesn't change the software.

It is a good BASIC Video editor, for a BASIC burner (do they make those any more?)

Lynn

I seem to have collected a closet full, if anyone would be interested.

Also the original version 6 software, since it and I never got along well!

cd

v6??

I've v2, 3.5, 4 and 5 buried somewhere around here :)

v6??

I've v2, 3.5, 4 and 5 buried somewhere around here :)

Thanks for your replies, all.

This Roxio product is the only software that I have (and I have a lot of software) that has a conflict with IE7. So it's certainly accurate to say there's a conflict between the two...but I would blame the older app not IE7. I suspect IE7 has new security that makes direct writing to hardware an issue for example. And this software is definitely out of date. Winders is the ubiquitous OS of choice for developers, and has been a cash cow for them since it is a stable, monopolistic platform. However, Winders is also a security target, so the onus is on the developer to update their software to keep up with security, or to take it off the shelves. Roxio "pretends" to offer support at their website. This is worse than disingenuous.

My older version of Nero works fine, as do all my Creative and professional M-Audio, Cakewalk and Novation apps.

So, as I stated before, after years of using Adaptec/Roxio software, it's goodbye!

Thanks for your replies, all.

Winders is also a security target, so the onus is on the developer to update their software to keep up with security, or to take it off the shelves.

Try telling Microsoft NOT to produce 'updates' that wreck other apps. It's not the first time they did it and it won't be the last. They produced an OS that is vulnerable - so everyone else has to follow their lead? Just who made them the supreme arbiter of what happens in a computer?

And fyi - IE7 also has holes in its security

Archived