• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Copying DVDs to Hard Disk for use in IMovie

DAGEFF

Question

Before buying P2 I asked someone in the Apple Store (and then followed up with Roxio Customer Service) and both people told me I could do what I want to do with P2. I have a number of home videos on DVD. I want to copy them onto my hard disk and use them in IMovie so I can make improved DVDs (i.e. using titles, cutting out bad scenese, etc.) using IDVD. Assuming this is doable, what is the best procedure to copy from DVD to my hard disk and how do I import into IMovie? I have read the manual but can't figure it out. Thanks so much.

5 answers to this question

I'm having the same problem as the original poster. I did what you suggested and when I went to play my converted quick time movie(which was saved to my desktop) it was so blurry I couldn't do anything with it. I'm having a really hard time trying to figure out how to get a dvd (one I made in imovies) back into my hard drive so I can put it back into imovies to edit it and add more clips, then burn it. What I'm trying to do is make a high light tape of my sons football games. I have several DVD's (that I orginally made on imovies)that I want to use. Please help, thanks

Before buying P2 I asked someone in the Apple Store (and then followed up with Roxio Customer Service) and both people told me I could do what I want to do with P2. I have a number of home videos on DVD. I want to copy them onto my hard disk and use them in IMovie so I can make improved DVDs (i.e. using titles, cutting out bad scenese, etc.) using IDVD. Assuming this is doable, what is the best procedure to copy from DVD to my hard disk and how do I import into IMovie? I have read the manual but can't figure it out. Thanks so much.

Actually, that's not the product I'd use to convert video DVD to a format used by iMovie. I'd use Toast, MPEG Streamclip or Cinematize because they can save the video in DV format.

But you can do this with Popcorn 2: Insert the DVD and choose DVD Disc as the format. When it shows up in the Popcorn window, click on the Player tab at the top. At the bottom, click on the little button to the left of the big button. Choose as the export format and choose Custom instead of Standard. In the window that opens be sure that MP4 is the File Format. Next to Video Format choose MPEG-4 Improved. Next to Image Size choose 640x480 VGA. Set Key Frame to Automatic. Click Okay and click the burn button.

You might want to test this with a short clip first to be sure the file is accepted to iMovie for import.

I'm having the same problem as the original poster. I did what you suggested and when I went to play my converted quick time movie(which was saved to my desktop) it was so blurry I couldn't do anything with it. I'm having a really hard time trying to figure out how to get a dvd (one I made in imovies) back into my hard drive so I can put it back into imovies to edit it and add more clips, then burn it. What I'm trying to do is make a high light tape of my sons football games. I have several DVD's (that I orginally made on imovies)that I want to use. Please help, thanks

There are several applications that are designed to convert video from a VIDEO_TS folder (i.e. your DVD) to either DV, full-quality QuickTime Movie or MPEG 4 so it can be imported to iMovie. What I think is easiest and cheapest is to use MPEG Streamclip (free) along with Apple's QuickTime MPEG2 Playback Component ($20). You can access the video with Streamclip directly from the DVD and select the parts you want to export to DV (which gets you the best quality).

I also highly recommend Miraizon's Cinematize 2 but it is more expensive and doesn't have the other uses that Streamclip can do. The great thing about Streamclip and Cinematize 2 is you can select just those parts you want to export, which saves a lot of time and hard drive space.

I was told by Apple support that Popcorn 2 would do what I wanted to do. So I went out this week-end a bought it. Have I now wasted $50.00? Is there anyway popcorn 2 can do what I want to do? Thanks (I bought it at the apple store)

Popcorn 2 lets you select titles from a DVD or VIDEO_TS folder and export them to MPEG 4. That is a high quality format that iMovie can import. Look at Popcorn Help for instructions on how to export video to MPEG 4. You'll want to export as 640x480 resolution to get the best quality.

Archived