• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

steve987

Toast 8 doesn't launch on PowerMac G4

Question

Hey,

I tried to install Toast 8 Titanium on my PowerMac G4 Dual 867, but it doesn't launch! What's the matter about? I checked system requirements, but it fully fits them. On my MacBook Pro, the iBook or the Mac mini it starts and works really great. Can you help, please?

Tanks a lot!

Same problem here!!

G4 quicksilver 2002

Bounces a few times then quits out, haven't even had a chance to put in the SN yet

Same problem here!!

G4 quicksilver 2002

Bounces a few times then quits out, haven't even had a chance to put in the SN yet

Try moving the app from the folder to the desktop, see if it will launch. I don't know why but sometimes that works with apps.

I'm on a Dual G4 1.42 MDD FW800 with 2 GB RAM and it works fine...
Thank you for your feedback. I'm on a Dual 867 with 1,5 GB RAM and it dosn't launch. It shortly appears in the dock, and then it disappears and nothing happens. I deleted the preferences, but they seem to be created by an older version. Toast 8 Titanium doesn't creat them on the incomplete startup. And I repaired permission, but nothing gets Toast to work. :)

Looks like that older G4 models aren't supported? That would be a big pain for me!

Moving the application to the desktop doesn't work for me! :huh:

Edited by steve987

I know i have highjacked your thread steve but our problems sound about the same..if you dont mind we can try and sort this out together

in console all i see when trying to open app is

DivX Codec: Opening component for type : DX50

DivX Codec: Use speedy y420 component 0x1048

How about you

No luck when moving it to desktop

Edited by res1492

I know i have highjacked your thread steve but our problems sound about the same..if you dont mind we can try and sort this out together

in console all i see when trying to open app is

DivX Codec: Opening component for type : DX50

DivX Codec: Use speedy y420 component 0x1048

How about you

I'm don't know very much about the concole. Can you tell me (step-by-step) what I have to do, please?

I'm don't know very much about the concole. Can you tell me (step-by-step) what I have to do, please?

Open up console in your utils folder

Click the logs icon in the top left, if it is not already on the console.logs, then then click that one

Should be the top log

ok now click the clear icon, now try to open toast, tell me what appears in the console window

I think speedy y420 has something to do the the Fusion codec...could be wrong thou..even so after trashing it, app still wont launch

Tried making new account but still will not launch....hmmmm

Come on big cheeses... suggestions please :)

Edited by res1492

Open up console in your utils folder

Click the logs icon in the top left, if it is not already on the console.logs, then then click that one

Should be the top log

ok now click the clear icon, now try to open toast, tell me what appears in the console window

I think speedy y420 has something to do the the Fusion codec...could be wrong thou..even so after trashing it, app still wont launch

Tried making new account but still will not launch....hmmmm

Come on big cheeses... suggestions please :)

It doesn't write anything if I do so. Not even the thing he mentioned in his post.

I tried to install Toast 8 Titanium on my PowerMac G4 Dual 867, but it doesn't launch!

There are a few other threads addressing this issue..roxio should be looking into this hopefully...take heart in the fact that its not only us with this problem

Ill keep you posted if i fix it..if you'll do like wise

It says the same thing in console when i open toast 7 (launches fine) so this cant be anything to worry about

Edited by res1492

There are a few other threads addressing this issue..roxio should be looking into this hopefully...take heart in the fact that its not only us with this problem

Ill keep you posted if i fix it..if you'll do like wise

It says the same thing in console when i open toast 7 (launches fine) so this cant be anything to worry about

This may sound daft but I take it you are running 10.4.8 or higher and not 10.3

Yep i am, not sure about steve but he said he had checked the min requirements and passes so i presume hes is aswell.

I'm on 10.4.8, yes. Server verion, but 10.4.8. Don't think that this is the problem. The others have this problem, too.

And, yes, it does fit all given system requirements!

Edited by steve987

i use suitcase... for pao

and helvetica must be in / system /library/font

not in suitcase font or else

it works now

but trouble with mac for PAO

i use suitcase... for pao

and helvetica must be in / system /library/font

not in suitcase font or else

it works now

but trouble with mac for PAO

F-ing hell how did you figure that one out...lol talk about a shot in the dark

Anyway i dont use SC and the font is in sys/lib/fonts...still no joy

Thanks for the advice though :)

F-ing hell how did you figure that one out...lol talk about a shot in the dark

Anyway i dont use SC and the font is in sys/lib/fonts...still no joy

Thanks for the advice though :huh:

Same to me! :)

Come on guys dont you think we at least deserve a "Were looking into the problem" its like you (Roxio) dont care about your customer..it would be nice to hear/read it even if it was a lie.

As it stands ..were all just sat here with our heads up your arses...and im getting cramp :)

Edited by res1492

I suggest not disabling system fonts. Even the OS gives a warning when disabling Helvetica that says:

"The current selection contains system fonts. Disabling system fonts may adversely affect some applications."

I would say you are getting some adverse affects from this.

in france we use éèà... accent letters and other

and helvetica.dfon't is not working on postscript printer, flasheuse

it's necessay too use post script or opentype font

the pb is not to use or no the hevetika

but don't look for the helvetica in macintosh HD / system / library / fonts

but every where

the other soft wihch use this font have no trouble

helvetica is a font use by many soft (apple or not) but with the other soft, it's ok

actualy for us, who are seller and tech on Mac

we can't put Toast 8 on PAO Mac!!

in france we use éèà... accent letters and other

and helvetica.dfon't is not working on postscript printer, flasheuse

it's necessay too use post script or opentype font

the pb is not to use or no the hevetika

but don't look for the helvetica in macintosh HD / system / library / fonts

but every where

the other soft wihch use this font have no trouble

helvetica is a font use by many soft (apple or not) but with the other soft, it's ok

actualy for us, who are seller and tech on Mac

we can't put Toast 8 on PAO Mac!!

I totally understand the problems with helvetica.dfont. I've tried to explain font management to freshburn but he ignored me. No "thanks for the info", or anything, which says to me he doesn't agree.

I've posted about font problems with Toast, but Roxio doesn't care, they won't give a clue, just buy our product and deal with the bugs. I'll never buy Toast again. More info in the link below.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...c=15589&hl=

At least some of us have a clue, huh? :)

Enjoy your finder burning.

I've never used Finder burning in the past, and I won't in the future either.

It's perfectly okay to move System fonts around if you know what you're doing. As long as some version of helvetica is active it's okay, it doesn't have to be the blessed Apple .dfont. If you had bothered to read what guguss wrote, in the professional world, outside of internet surfers and forum lurkers, the helvetica.dfont conflicts with postscript and true type versions and can't be used by most imagesetters. Do you even know what an imagesetter is? If not you're out of your league on this.

Just can't admit you're wrong about this, can you? Did you even bother to download and read through the PDF on font management in OS X I pointed you to? Or are you too narrow minded to learn something about other peoples needs outside of your little world. Yoda would be pleased not with that. :)

Come on guys dont you think we at least deserve a "Were looking into the problem" its like you (Roxio) dont care about your customer..it would be nice to hear/read it even if it was a lie.

As it stands ..were all just sat here with our heads up your arses...and im getting cramp :)

We've been a bit quiet this week since the entire Mac team has been over at Macworld, but yes it's Saturday night and we're reading through the forums and working on issues as best we can.

I totally understand the problems with helvetica.dfont. I've tried to explain font management to freshburn but he ignored me. No "thanks for the info", or anything, which says to me he doesn't agree.

I've posted about font problems with Toast, but Roxio doesn't care, they won't give a clue, just buy our product and deal with the bugs. I'll never buy Toast again. More info in the link below.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...c=15589&hl=

At least some of us have a clue, huh? :huh:

I've spoken with our engineering team about this already and we absolutely shouldn't be crashing. That said, until there is another work around the font needs to be enabled. We are still working on this one...

I've spoken with our engineering team about this already and we absolutely shouldn't be crashing. That said, until there is another work around the font needs to be enabled. We are still working on this one...

Thanks, that's good to know.