steve987

Toast 8 doesn't launch on PowerMac G4

Question

Hey,

I tried to install Toast 8 Titanium on my PowerMac G4 Dual 867, but it doesn't launch! What's the matter about? I checked system requirements, but it fully fits them. On my MacBook Pro, the iBook or the Mac mini it starts and works really great. Can you help, please?

Tanks a lot!

I've spoken with our engineering team about this already and we absolutely shouldn't be crashing. That said, until there is another work around the font needs to be enabled. We are still working on this one...

Also make a note to them that whatever was changed in v.8 fixed the lack of menu fonts problem from v.7.1.2 I linked to in this thread.

Thx.

I'm using OS X Server 10.4.8 and can't get Toast 8 to open. Is the Helvetica font the problem, and if so exactly what do I need to do to fix it? I have tried disabling the normal Helvetica.dfont and installed a Helvetica.oft in /System/Library/Fonts/ but that didn't help.

Ok so an update on my problems...as you know i couldn't get Toast 8 to launch on my G4 running 10.4.8

The other day i was messing about with some extension and well......needless to say i had to do an archive and install...i only have the 10.4.0 disk so i have to update to 10.4.8 with the installers ...i was having some trouble with my openGL framework and had read somewhere that 10.4.7 might fix it.

So i upgraded to 4.7 and wouldn't you know it..Toast 8 worked..even though in the min requirements it says 4.8 its the lowest OS it will run on.

Explain that.

Anyway after getting all excited about being able to run Toast 8 i installed the final 4.8 patch and ...can you guess whats coming........toast 8 fails to launch, nothing else was installed between the OS upgrades.

This has really gotten my stumped

Still looking for an answer......

res1492

I would repair permissions and do a DiskWarrior run, then have a go with the 10.4.8 Combo updater, not the small patch. This usually solves my problems. Can't do any harm...

:)

I'm jumping on the band wagon here. I'm running a PowerPC G5 Dual 2.3 with OSX 10.4.8. I have used Toast-7 for a long time and upgraded to 8 yesterday. It will not run. The old bounce-in-the-dock and quit routine. I followed all the steps in Roxio's FAQ page for this problem except for unplugging all two dozen or so external devices that attached to my installation. Still it doesn't run. This is lousy payback for hijacking we owners for perpetual upgrades!

I followed all the steps in Roxio's FAQ page for this problem except for unplugging all two dozen or so external devices that attached to my installation. Still it doesn't run.

maybe you should try unplug all your external devices just to see if it works for you

This appears to not be limited to G4's. I loaded on a G5 running 10.3.9 and am unable to get it to launch as well. If someone comes up with a solution it would be greatly appreciated. I have used previous versions of Toast for years on other machines, but this is a virgin installation on this machine. Not real happy about it. :)

Well, it doesn't run on your G5 with 10.3.9, because 10.4.8 is the minimum requirement.

Macintosh computer with a PowerPC G4, PowerPC G5, or Intel processor

CD, DVD or Blu-ray Disc recordable drive

Mac OS X v10.4.8 or higher

250 MB of free disk space to install

Up to 15 GB of temporary free disk space during usage

QuickTime 7.1.3 or higher

I'm jumping on the band wagon here. I'm running a PowerPC G5 Dual 2.3 with OSX 10.4.8. I have used Toast-7 for a long time and upgraded to 8 yesterday. It will not run.

Just checking, but is your QuickTime up to date (7.1.3)?

Well, it doesn't run on your G5 with 10.3.9, because 10.4.8 is the minimum requirement.

Well thats wrong for a start...if you read a few posts up you'll see that it was running fine in 10.4.0 upto 4.7 ..after installing 4.8 it was back to "bounce bounce quit"..and i didnt install any other apps/anything between OS upgrades

If they is any question about me telling porkys ill gladly do a fresh install on one of my HDs and take screenies of Toast 8 running with the Sys Profiler showing the OS version.

Fair enough it might not run in Panther..but 4.8 in not the minimum requirement

And yes QT is 7.1.3

Edited by res1492

Ok, 10.4 is a minimum requirement, but I know for sure we didnt test on anything older then 10.4.8, which is a fact that freshburn seems to be aware of.

Ahh got ya...

Dont get me wrong i wasn't having a go at him...i think its amazing that he gives up his time to help others..i have nothing but respect for the helpers out there that, lets face it we would be stuck without...

Its Toast 8 not launching thats leaving me short tempered..i have tried everything..you sound like one of the big guns...any ideas?

sorry for my out burst...i not a trouble maker really

Edited by res1492

Apple has always had problems when updating the os incrementally. For example, going from 10.4.7 to 10.4.8 with the Software Update often causes problems, because for what ever reason thing don't get updated correctly.

I suggest downloading the full combinded 10.4.8 updater and installing it again. Then repair permission.

I would also deleted all Toast prefs. There is one called com.roxio.Toast.plist and Roxio Toast Prefs

If you still get a crash, please post the crash log. It always helps.

Just checking, but is your QuickTime up to date (7.1.3)?

Sorry for the delay. I was traveling.

Yes, QuickTime is version 7.1.3.

Thanks for the interest.

Sorry for the delay. I was traveling.

Yes, QuickTime is version 7.1.3.

Thanks for the interest.

Have you tried the suggestion about the fonts?

Have you tried freshburn's suggestion just above?

Putting Helvetica back solved the not launching problem for me. In my case, I did not put the dfont version back, I used my Adobe Type 1 version. Seems to work fine.

-Keith

Have you tried the suggestion about the fonts?

Have you tried freshburn's suggestion just above?

Hello John,

I finally got a chance to research and try the "Helvetica Font Fix," at least my understanding of it, and Toast 8 started up nicely.

In Suitcase-Fusion, Tools, Manage System Fonts..., de-select Helvetica.dfont. I prseume that Suitcase-Fusion then moved it back to Sys./Lib./Fonts (because its there now).

I got lulled into a false sense of security with the OS and the many updates I apply to the many applications I run. I do use Suitcase-Fusion for font management and have allowed it manage all my System fonts until this incident. I'm puzzeled as to what change occurred in Toast that triggered this error.

Thanks for all the help.

Paul

It doesn't write anything if I do so. Not even the thing he mentioned in his post.

I also have a G4 933 single processor. Toast will launch and then quit. This is the error

code (I gave it to Roxio but they never answered me)

Last login: Tue Feb 13 16:54:37 on console

/Applications/Toast\ 8\ Titanium/Toast\ Titanium.app/Contents/MacOS/Toast\ Titanium; exit

Welcome to Darwin!

[1cust169:~] jmano% /Applications/Toast\ 8\ Titanium/Toast\

Titanium.app/Contents/MacOS/Toast\ Titanium; exit

DVIsochComponent.c:1191: failed assertion `!(deviceDescriptionPtr->clock == 0)'

Abort

logout

[Process completed]

How you do this is control click on Toast application and select "show package contents"

double click "contents"

double click "MacOS"

double click Toast Titanium to run in terminal.

If there is no problem Toast will run. If you close terminal application it exit toast app.

If there is a problem it will tell you in terminal window. I email this to Roxio to help them fix

their problem.

Hi Guys

Thanx for your help. Just read all the info on Toast 8 not starting. On my machine is the font problem for sure as I had disabled Helvetica regular and bold and opened Nelvetica Nue in its place. Toast then would not start. Have just reactivated the regular and bold and now I am doing my first burn in 8 after giving up and going back to 7 for the last week.

Ta all.

:rolleyes:

PAH's fix works for me.

I had the no launch problem.

I use Suitcase Fusion also.

I moved Helvetica back as per instructions.

Instant gratification!

Thank you.