Sound Editor

rocc14

Question

Hi....I would like to chat with other people about recording LPs and cleaning up the audio.....are there any good sites that offer any insight, whats settings seem to work the best, should you do one setting at a time. When I apply the setttings it seems to step on the volume

thanks Rocc

5 answers to this question

How about a little more information Rocc as to what you are doing. What you start with, want to end up with and what you have done so far to accomplish that using EMC Sound Editor. I have over 150 old 78, 33 and 45 rpm records that I have captured and recorded them to digital audio and have a few that had some scratches that I played with to get rid of that objectional sound. They are not perfect but sound a lot better than the old records.

Frank..........

HI Frank....thanks for the reply...I bought some LPs at the flea market so their condition is not that good. I understand that Im not going to have a perfect recording. Im using a cheap pre amp ($45.00), with a cable to my "line in" Now I understand that I need to clean the LPs better, and I have some recording settings that I should adjust...(to what? Im not that sure..lol)

When I select "tools" "clean" should I just use all the default settings (DECLICKER 80%, DECRACKLER 80%, DENOISE -2db, NOISE 3 ) and apply them all at once or select them individually? which process is best to do first or does it matter?

I'm sorry, this is not a chat site; it is a a users group like a bulletin board. You ask questions about the program and others who have used the program will reply. Audio is so subjective that it is what sounds good to you is what the correct setting is. As you probably know, Sound Editor is a good but not great capture and sound editing program. If you have a lot of cleaning to do, you might try Audacity (free) or GoldWave(shareware with liberal trial options). I have not used the first but I like GoldWave for the harder to work with files.

One thing, none of these programs will fix the audio captured from a badly scratched or dirty LP. Google the net to find out how to clean those LP before you capture them.

You might want to consider replacing your onboard sound chips (if you have those) with an inexpensive sound card - you can get one for around $30 and install it into a desk top very easily. That will convert the signal and play the music so that it sound better.

How are you planning to connect your LP player to your computer - If directly, you will need some sort of amplifier to boost the signal. You player might have a phono out or you can use your amplifier if it is a system. You can get a stand alone amp at a store like circuit city for around $40 if you don't have either. That later is a simple black box. If you need a new LP player, get one with a preamp built in. I have a Sony PX-LX250H and it works well ($125) . You'll need a two connector "Y" with a single stereo plug at the other end to plug into your computer's line in connector>

It is always nice to post your computer specs so we don't offer desk top options if you have a laptop - put you specs in the signature so you don't have to retype them if you are asked for them again. Post back if you have any specific questions.

Thanks for for the info.....I do have a pre amp and all the cabling to my sound card, maybe I will look at gold wave. I was hoping to try to just use one bundled product like this roxio package, you know a all-in-one type of thing, but now Im learning you get what you pay for...lol

HI Frank....thanks for the reply...I bought some LPs at the flea market so their condition is not that good. I understand that Im not going to have a perfect recording. Im using a cheap pre amp ($45.00), with a cable to my "line in" Now I understand that I need to clean the LPs better, and I have some recording settings that I should adjust...(to what? Im not that sure..lol)

When I select "tools" "clean" should I just use all the default settings (DECLICKER 80%, DECRACKLER 80%, DENOISE -2db, NOISE 3 ) and apply them all at once or select them individually? which process is best to do first or does it matter?

Thanks for for the info.....I do have a pre amp and all the cabling to my sound card, maybe I will look at gold wave. I was hoping to try to just use one bundled product like this roxio package, you know a all-in-one type of thing, but now Im learning you get what you pay for...lol

These sites have a lot of helpful info on recording vinyl,cassettes/cds etc.

www.deweywrightenterprises.com/vinyl2cd.htm

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~abcomp/lp-...ecord_soundcard

http://www.cdrfaq.org/

http://www.br0wn.co.uk/vinyltocd.htm

How about a little more information Rocc as to what you are doing. What you start with, want to end up with and what you have done so far to accomplish that using EMC Sound Editor. I have over 150 old 78, 33 and 45 rpm records that I have captured and recorded them to digital audio and have a few that had some scratches that I played with to get rid of that objectional sound. They are not perfect but sound a lot better than the old records.

Frank..........

I'm sorry, this is not a chat site; it is a a users group like a bulletin board. You ask questions about the program and others who have used the program will reply. Audio is so subjective that it is what sounds good to you is what the correct setting is. As you probably know, Sound Editor is a good but not great capture and sound editing program. If you have a lot of cleaning to do, you might try Audacity (free) or GoldWave(shareware with liberal trial options). I have not used the first but I like GoldWave for the harder to work with files.

One thing, none of these programs will fix the audio captured from a badly scratched or dirty LP. Google the net to find out how to clean those LP before you capture them.

You might want to consider replacing your onboard sound chips (if you have those) with an inexpensive sound card - you can get one for around $30 and install it into a desk top very easily. That will convert the signal and play the music so that it sound better.

How are you planning to connect your LP player to your computer - If directly, you will need some sort of amplifier to boost the signal. You player might have a phono out or you can use your amplifier if it is a system. You can get a stand alone amp at a store like circuit city for around $40 if you don't have either. That later is a simple black box. If you need a new LP player, get one with a preamp built in. I have a Sony PX-LX250H and it works well ($125) . You'll need a two connector "Y" with a single stereo plug at the other end to plug into your computer's line in connector>

It is always nice to post your computer specs so we don't offer desk top options if you have a laptop - put you specs in the signature so you don't have to retype them if you are asked for them again. Post back if you have any specific questions.

Hi....I would like to chat with other people about recording LPs and cleaning up the audio.....are there any good sites that offer any insight, whats settings seem to work the best, should you do one setting at a time. When I apply the setttings it seems to step on the volume

thanks Rocc

In Sound Editor, you can preview how the effects are going to sound. What you want to do (at least what I want to do) is capture first without doing any "processing" on it. Just raw, with all the clicks, pops, hiss. Open the file in Sound Editor and start it playing. Now you can open the cleaning options and apply them while it's playing to hear what it'll sound like. There's a "bypass" checkbox so you can turn it on and off to hear the difference. There's also an option to hear only what it's taking out, which can give you and idea of how much "music" might be getting taken out as well.

I also use DART XP Pro, DCART 5 and GoldWave. One of the main things I use GoldWave for is manually declicking particularly big or difficult clicks. I use DART XP Pro to isolate the artifact and get the time it occurs at, then go into GoldWave (using the time to get to the right location) where I can "paint" the waveform. (Same file open in both programs.)

You'll want to be careful how much dehissing you do, as you can easily take out a lot of the highs.

Good luck!

Archived