• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
Pooter

Commercial DVDs?

Question

5 answers to this question

Only if the movie is not protected/encrypted. Most, if not all, commercial/retail movies are copy protected. You need to find your way to do so.

I think no software will legally doing that.

Removing copy protection (home use backup for instance) is either legal or illegal depending on where you live on this globe. There actually is life behind the horizon, you know...

Well, it's sort of illegal, at least.

As the law stands now, it's perfectly legal for you to copy your protected DVDs, as long as it's done for archival purposes. However, it's illegal for anyone to make software that will allow you to do so. That's why I was wondering if Roxio had maybe strapped on a pair and made software that would let me back my DVDs up, despite the goofy state of the current law.

Fortunately, there is a solution. It looks like I'll be Edit instead of upgrading to Toast 8. Although I might still upgrade just to get away from that ridiculous Toast 7 interface.

Edited by tsantee

Just a caution: Roxio does not allow discussion of ways to get around copy protection of discs in its forums. The federal law is that while making personal-use copies of copyrighted material can be okay it is against the law to defeat copy protection in order to make those copies. So there is no legal way (in the U.S., at least) to copy commercial DVDs because essentially all of them have copy protection.

Guest ivanatrox
Can Toast 8 copy commcercial/retail movie DVDs?

No. No Roxio software does that. period.