edward_kogan

Dvd Builder Image File Error - Drive Or Directory Is Read-only

Question

The problem:

When I try to write my DVD to an image file I get the following error:

"Image File Error The drive or directory for the image file is read-only. Please select a different location."

I can't be sure but I think this problem started after I installed Windows XP SP2.

What I've done:

I followed Microsoft's suggestion to reset the read-only attribute of the folder I'm trying to save the image file to using the "attrib" command but still no luck (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549/).

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Ed

4 answers to this question

You did not mention what program you are using and there are 3 that can do this…

All will allow you to Browse to a folder, My Videos is a good choice.

From there you can Create a New Folder. Try that.

You should never have to tinker with folder settings in XP.

The problem:

When I try to write my DVD to an image file I get the following error:

"Image File Error The drive or directory for the image file is read-only. Please select a different location."

I can't be sure but I think this problem started after I installed Windows XP SP2.

What I've done:

I followed Microsoft's suggestion to reset the read-only attribute of the folder I'm trying to save the image file to using the "attrib" command but still no luck (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549/).

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Ed

I would think that if the error says that the drive or folder is "Read Only" that would suggest that you are choosing to place in one of your opyical drives (assuming you have more than one). Make sure that the Drive you are trying to save it to is NOT an optical drive.

Redwagon...

Thanks to those that spent time replying.

The problem (encountered while using DVD Builder) was caused by the fact that the user account that was trying to burn the DVD image to a file did not have the necessary permissions to both the directory and the drive in which the image was being stored.

The user had "full" access to the folder but did not have "full" access to the drive itself.

Once I granted the user full access to the logical drive (i.e. right-click the drive -> properties ->security) the problem went away.

Going with "full" access privilege is probably extreme and somethting less is probably sufficient but I don't have the time right now to fiddle around.

Lesson learned: make sure sufficient access privileges are granted for both the drive and folder in which the image is being stored.

Ed