Roxio Problem Or Philips Dvd 8631 Problem?

afdds@tampabay.rr.com

Question

I'm getting ready to uninstall Roxio 8 and throw in the trash. Recorded on Hitachi mini DVD, captured with Hitachi Movie Album SE from the camera. Once on the computer, edited with Roxio My DVD 8, burned with Philips DVD 8631 on a Memorex DVD-R and a DVD+RW.

Both times the movie was great while watching a preview in Roxio My DVD 8, however, once it was on the DVD-R and played back on the TV, video was choppy. Enough to make you dizzy.

Called Dell to up grade the firmware on the Philips and it's already up graded to their latest CD21 firmware.

Also have checked to make sure the IDE in Device Manager to make sure the transfer mode is DMA if available. Both Device 0 and Device 1 are checked off. However, the Current transfer mode is PIO.

Posted earlier in another area. I had 70 people view and no answers. Please help.

7 answers to this question

Thanks guys, I will try all of the above and get back to you. I reinstalled MyDVD4 which came with my camera, Hitachi, and quicky made a video of a few clips. I checked it out on the TV and it runs great. Picture is clear and not choppy. Maybe, it's not the burner after all. Could it have anything to do with the difference in size of the video? Also, I love the DVD 8 that came with Easy Creator. Can you install DVD 8 without all the other Roxio stuff?

I have a dell 8400 w/ the same dvd burner ( Phillips DVD+-Rw 8631). Dell support is incorrect. There is a firmware update for that DVD burner(gd30.zip) go to dells web site, locate and apply the update. you can perform a search

As for Memorex, I had problems w/ the ultra cd-rw, eventhough my cd burner ( Smasung 252S) is rated for utlra. I did not have any problems w/ theri dvd-rws. I believe the firmware update will resolve most of your problems

Thank Jim,

I just got the new firmware as you said. I haven't burnt anything yet, I was waiting to see if I can select componets of EMC8. I have to reinstall. Do you know if EMC8 will capture double sided mini dvd RAM. The only way I have to get my video from camera to computer is with the hitachi movie album SE. I've read on this board that you need to take other programs off if using EMC8

The only conflict will be with othe packet writing software like Nero InCD, the older Sonic DLA and older Roxio Direct CD. These will conflict with the newer Drag to Disc which is included in EMC8. However, you can opt not to install D2D or you can remove it through the Control Panel. As far as I know, there is no other conflict.

As for as the DVD RAM, it all depends on how your camcorder saves to the disc. Makes sure it is 'finalized', insert the miniDVD RAM into the computer's DVD player/burner and then use MEDIA IMPORT. Click on the VIDEO tab and see if the drive is there. If it is, then you shouldn't have any trouble capturing from the disc. If it doesn't show up, then Media Import did not recognize the disc format.

One of the keys is to see how it looks played on your computer.if it plays well, then your player needs to be cleaned. If it plays well on you computer, switch to DMA mode and burn (copy) after you have created an iso file ,

I'm getting ready to uninstall Roxio 8 and throw in the trash. Recorded on Hitachi mini DVD, captured with Hitachi Movie Album SE from the camera. Once on the computer, edited with Roxio My DVD 8, burned with Philips DVD 8631 on a Memorex DVD-R and a DVD+RW.

Both times the movie was great while watching a preview in Roxio My DVD 8, however, once it was on the DVD-R and played back on the TV, video was choppy. Enough to make you dizzy.

Called Dell to up grade the firmware on the Philips and it's already up graded to their latest CD21 firmware.

Also have checked to make sure the IDE in Device Manager to make sure the transfer mode is DMA if available. Both Device 0 and Device 1 are checked off. However, the Current transfer mode is PIO.

Posted earlier in another area. I had 70 people view and no answers. Please help.

You can try deleting your burner in Device Manager, then rebooting. It should be running in Ultra DMA Mode 2, not PIO. That burner is nothing but trouble.

Tell Dell to replace that burner with an NEC burner. Read the following thread:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/179003

Archived