Rec (recovery Files)

barry56

Question

I was burning a DVD of movie files to DVD using Roxio Drag To Disc. Most of the files were either mpeg, avi. or windows media files. There was an error in the burn process, that rendered the disc unreadable. I did a stupid thing and while putting the files on the disc, transfered them instead of copying them. The drag to disc, scandisc feature offered to try and either fix the disc or recover the files. It couldn't fix the disc but reovered the files. Only problem is that windows media player can play the movies, but none of the programs in my media creater 7.5 can see the files. Neither can windows movies maker. How can I get roxio to either recognize the files, or better yet, convert them back to their original types. Thank you for your help. BTW Roxann is usless, you cannot get anybody to answer you at the chat help desk, and why should we pay $35.00 to talk to a technician for a very expensive piece of software. This is my last chance. Please help. Barry Kiefaber

BTW The file types are REC (recovery) files

5 answers to this question

I was burning a DVD of movie files to DVD using Roxio Drag To Disc. Most of the files were either mpeg, avi. or windows media files. There was an error in the burn process, that rendered the disc unreadable. I did a stupid thing and while putting the files on the disc, transfered them instead of copying them. The drag to disc, scandisc feature offered to try and either fix the disc or recover the files. It couldn't fix the disc but reovered the files. Only problem is that windows media player can play the movies, but none of the programs in my media creater 7.5 can see the files. Neither can windows movies maker. How can I get roxio to either recognize the files, or better yet, convert them back to their original types. Thank you for your help. BTW Roxann is usless, you cannot get anybody to answer you at the chat help desk, and why should we pay $35.00 to talk to a technician for a very expensive piece of software. This is my last chance. Please help. Barry Kiefaber

You should be able to rename the extension (.REC) back to its' original, mpg or avi, and they would be useable again.

Plan B: Use a 3rd party recovery program such as ISO Buster, or CD Roller, to recover the files.

Root cause is trying to use a packet writer, D2D, for something it isn't good at. Packet writers are best for transferring files from one PC to another when no other means exists. They have proven too unreliable for any sort of backup/archiving.

Classic, set to, UDF – No Bridge – Read Only, would be the way to create a backup that is 99.99% bulletproof.

BTW, price for support is actually proportional to product price. I use some that charges $100 per incident.

You made two mistakes. The second one was to format the disc. If you want to KEEP the data, NEVER format the disc. Did you compound the mistake by using CD-RW? CD-RW, by virture of the same qualilties that make it possible to erase the entire disc and start over (making them useful for testing), will fade to blank sooner or later, no matter how well it is stored - if formatted for Packet-Writing, usually sooner.

I suspect the reason EMC 7.5 can't see the files is the only program within the suite that can use a formatted disc is the program that formats discs - Drag2Disc.

"Never save your ONLY copy of an important file with a Packet-Written Program. Packet-Written discs have a tendancy to fail, usually at the worst possible time."

When you know which file is which (the length should help), you can re-save the files using the correct extension (.avi, .jpg, etc). Save them SOMEWHERE ELSE. You want to get rid of that disc unless it is RW and you want to erase it for use in testing.

For future use, I'd suggest you might want to delete Drag2Disc, after you recover the files, just to be on the safe side. The only thing Packet-Writing is good at on optical media, is losing data permantly.

Lynn

Hi Barry,

"Packet writer" programs such as Drag to Disc or Direct CD or DLA or InCD sometimes lose track of their indexes or tables of contents. When this happens, scandisc first tries to recover the directory. If that doesn't work it will read the disc to find the start and end of the files.

It can recover the file by finding the beginning and end, but not the name of the file. That's why all the renamed files get a generic .REC name. They aren't modified at all, it's just their name is lost.

Rename the recovered files as James suggested, and you should be able to use them again. If you can't work out what type of files they are, try renaming all the unknowns to AVI for example. Any which don't work after that, rename to .MPG and so on until you have them all identified.

Unfortunately, recovering any sort of disc is always a long process. That's why we recommend you don't delete anything at source until it's safely reached its destination.

Thanks to Brendan and Lynn and all who helped me. I couldn't get the files to work by renameing them so I bought CD Roller as one of you suggested and it worked fine. I recovered all of my fi8les and they had the correct name on them. I think I only lost one out of 35 or so files, so I was happy. The CD ROller software works fine and I had a question about it it and the customer service guy wrote me back almost immediatly. I highly recommend CD Roller. Now next question. What is the best way to back up using a DVD with DVD - R media. Again, thanks to all you guys for your help. Barry Kiefaber

Thanks to Brendan and Lynn and all who helped me. I couldn't get the files to work by renameing them so I bought CD Roller as one of you suggested and it worked fine. I recovered all of my fi8les and they had the correct name on them. I think I only lost one out of 35 or so files, so I was happy. The CD ROller software works fine and I had a question about it it and the customer service guy wrote me back almost immediatly. I highly recommend CD Roller. Now next question. What is the best way to back up using a DVD with DVD - R media. Again, thanks to all you guys for your help. Barry Kiefaber

PS I just deleted my Drag To Disc feature which again one of you suggersted :) Barry

Guest mlpasley
What is the best way to back up using a DVD with DVD - R media. Again, thanks to all you guys for your help.

It depends on what you want to back up.

If you're just backing up files, use Creator Classic. Make certain that you select DVD instead of CD at the bottom of the screen.

It's similar to having two Windows Explorer windows open. You add files from your hard drive (on the top) that you want to burn to the DVD (on the bottom.)

The drag to disc, scandisc feature offered to try and either fix the disc or recover the files. It couldn't fix the disc but reovered the files. Only problem is that windows media player can play the movies, but none of the programs in my media creater 7.5 can see the files. Neither can windows movies maker. How can I get roxio to either recognize the files, or better yet, convert them back to their original types. Thank you for your help. BTW Roxann is usless, you cannot get anybody to answer you at the chat help desk, and why should we pay $35.00 to talk to a technician for a very expensive piece of software. This is my last chance. Please help. Barry Kiefaber

This post has been edited by lynn98109: Jan 29 2006, 11:44 AM

Hi Barry,

"Packet writer" programs such as Drag to Disc or Direct CD or DLA or InCD sometimes lose track of their indexes or tables of contents. When this happens, scandisc first tries to recover the directory. If that doesn't work it will read the disc to find the start and end of the files.

It can recover the file by finding the beginning and end, but not the name of the file. That's why all the renamed files get a generic .REC name. They aren't modified at all, it's just their name is lost.

Rename the recovered files as James suggested, and you should be able to use them again. If you can't work out what type of files they are, try renaming all the unknowns to AVI for example. Any which don't work after that, rename to .MPG and so on until you have them all identified.

Unfortunately, recovering any sort of disc is always a long process. That's why we recommend you don't delete anything at source until it's safely reached its destination.

Archived