Home recorded DVDs to iPod

TWil

Question

I just bought Toast 8 so I could convert home-recorded DVDs to my iPod. The first movie I tried worked beautifully, with no problems. Since then nothing will convert properly, and I've tried over a dozen different home-recorded DVDs. About every 15-20 seconds, there is a "jump" and several seconds of the movie is missing. I hope there is a bug fix on the way, or else I've wasted my money on this version! :)

5 answers to this question

I've done a lot of testing and have found that Toast 8 will not convert DVDs recorded on my Panasonic DVD recorder, except for one fluke movie, which converted perfectly. There is some incompatibility. Here is the strange part... I can use Toast 8 to copy any DVD recorded on this equipment. The copies play perfectly on every DVD player and computer, but Toast 8 will not convert even the copies properly for the iPod. There is always this regular skipping of part of the content.

I can only assume that it is a problem with the Toast Software, since it will copy the DVDs, but will not convert them to another format properly. :(

It will convert commercially produced, non-protected DVDs just fine, which isn't really much help!

I have a Pioneer standalone DVD recorder and I use its recordings with Toast 8.

I don't know why you are having these issues but here are some thoughts: 1) Don't record shows on the DVD recorder using PCM audio. Always record with a setting that uses AC-3 audio. 2) Give VR-mode a try. My Pioneer recorder creates time-code errors at about 20-second intervals on video-mode DVDs recorded in real time (not high-speed copied from the recorders HDD). The time-code errors don't affect the playing or copying of the discs, though. Roxio has tweaked Toast so it ignores those time-code errors when extracting the MPEGs, but when I use VR-mode recordings there are no time-code errors in the first place. So I always use VR-mode when I know I'm going to use Toast to extract videos recorded by my standalone recorder. I never have tried using a real-time-recorded video-mode disc with Toast and then exported it to iPod. Those time-code breaks might cause the problem you're describing.

Which recording setting(s) are you using on the Panasonic recorder?

I've done a lot of testing and have found that Toast 8 will not convert DVDs recorded on my Panasonic DVD recorder, except for one fluke movie, which converted perfectly. There is some incompatibility. Here is the strange part... I can use Toast 8 to copy any DVD recorded on this equipment. The copies play perfectly on every DVD player and computer, but Toast 8 will not convert even the copies properly for the iPod. There is always this regular skipping of part of the content.

I can only assume that it is a problem with the Toast Software, since it will copy the DVDs, but will not convert them to another format properly. :(

It will convert commercially produced, non-protected DVDs just fine, which isn't really much help!

I have been using the Media Browser to select and import the home-recorded DVDs. I still get the jumps and missing parts of the imported movie.

What created the home-recorded DVDs that are your source?

Are the extracted MPEGs still in the Converted Items folder? If so, can you play them with VLC Media Player? I'm curious how well they play before the conversion.

Archived