• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

lyndonh2

Burning Speed

Folks

I have been experiencing some problems in cutting CDs.

I've knocked up a compilation CD which is nearly 80 minutes long and it burns fine. However, when playing it, I get problems playing the last few tracks on my CD player (although it's okay in the car and on the PC). Now, this COULD be that my CD-Rs are not high speed, but I bought them a couple of years ago and do not know the maximum burn speed of them.

So my question is how do I burn at 1x? The dropdown menu option gives me options from 4x to 64x, but nothing below 4x. I'd like to try burning at 1x, but is this possible?

Cheers

Lyndon.

Dang, what recorder do you have that burns at 64X? The speeds shown in the drop down box are the speeds that your recorder supports. Looks like 4X is the lowest your recorder will go. Since the CDs play properly in your car and PC I don't think speed is the issue. Make sure you are Disc at Once mode. You might try different brands of CD-Rs to see if you can find one that your CD player likes.

Lyndon,

This could be something to do with your CD Player. It's very noticeable that the quality of the player mechanism in a box doesn't always match the price you paid for it. Some of the really expensive boxes have rubbish players. Some of them are so cheap they won't even play burned CD-Rs or RWs.

Your writer will (usually) be optimized to work best about the middle to upper part of its speed range, and burning at single speed (even if you could make it do that) would probably be so far out of the optimum you'd be making coasters. I think you'd be better off trying a speed that's more mid- to upper-range.

You can check the burn speeds available from your burner either by reading the manual, or by looking up the company's website.

You can check the speeds available ON THE BLANK DISC by going to www.dvdinfopro.com and downloading the free version of Dvdinfo Pro. Run that with a CD in the burner, click on MEDIA, and you'll get a report on what the program read off the CD.

The program will tell you who made the CD (regardless of what brand it shows) and will show you several "Available Write Descriptors" which give you a good idea of what speeds the CD is happy with.

Hi

Thanks for your replies. I am using the 'disc at once' option.

I've got myself a copy of DVDInfo, and this is the media detail I get:

===============================

Media Information

Format Capacity Blank Disc

Free Blocks 736966656

Free Capacity 702.83MB(736.97MB)

Media Type CD-R

ATIP Start Time of Lead In (Media Code) 97m27s18f

ATIP Last Possible Start Time of Lead Out 79m59s74f

Manufacturer Name Plasmon Data Systems Ltd.

HD-BURN Certified NO

Complete Media Code

===============================

I'm not sure how to read the CD write speed from this info. They were cheap CD bought off eBay, so maybe there's a lesson to be learnt here :) Maybe I should invest in a nice spindle of 50 Ritek 52x.

My usual CD player is a Sony Walkman ... yeah, I know, but it plugs into my current (and old) stack stereo system and sits nicely on to op the record deck cover.

Edited by lyndonh2

Hi,

Normally I'd expect to see a set of half a dozen "Available Write Descriptor" entries between that mention of HD-BURN and the "Complete Media Code" heading. The Plasmon disc in my drive at the moment shows them.

However it doesn't look as if we're going to get too far along that track this time.

It might pay you to try another brand of CD. Buy one or two to try. Even at the inflated price you pay for singles, it's better than buying a spindle of 50 which might not work.

Just remember, not all players are equal. The fact the CD will play in some, means it has been burned the right way. The fact it won't play in another usually means the "other" doesn't like that brand (or dye-color) of disc.

Hi,

Normally I'd expect to see a set of half a dozen "Available Write Descriptor" entries between that mention of HD-BURN and the "Complete Media Code" heading. The Plasmon disc in my drive at the moment shows them.

However it doesn't look as if we're going to get too far along that track this time.

I think this is what brendon t was expecting to see.

CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info

Basic Information

Disc type: : CD-R

Manufacturer: : Verbatim

MID : 97m34s23f

Write speeds: : 4 X - 8 X - 16 X - 32 X - 48 X

Capacity: : 79:59.73

: 703 MB

Extended Information

Usage : General

Disc Status : Empty

Raw Data

ATIP

0000 - C0 00 98 00 61 22 17 00 4F 3B 49 00 00 00 00 00 - ....a"..O;I.....

0010 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - ........

CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info

Basic Information

Disc type: : CD-R

Manufacturer: : Daxon

MID : 97m22s66f

Write speeds: : 4 X - 8 X - 16 X - 32 X - 48 X

Capacity: : 79:50.00

: 701 MB

Extended Information

Usage : General

Disc Status : Empty

Raw Data

ATIP

0000 - D0 00 A0 00 61 16 42 00 4F 32 00 00 00 00 00 00 - ....a.B.O2......

0010 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - ........

cdanteek