adding avi files to dvd

mandy

Question

When I try to add avi files to create a DVD, most of the files aren't being recognized!! It has then x'ed out and I can't add them! Why is this happening? I want to burn many avi's that I have to dvd, but I can't seem to do most of them! How can I fix this?

Ok, I'm new here, and am using Roxio 9, and am having the same issues here. I tried all of that stuff, and got nowhere. Apparently nobody knows how to fix this issue?

You need to post in the Version 9 forums.

I have had the same problem and after re - installing Roxio I then installed FFDSHOW codecs and uninstalled all of DIVX and it all works again.

? Ok whats ffdshow?

So i should uninstall all my divx?

See i dont know what happen but i cant get avi

to show up in roxio now.

I rolled back to media player 10 and installed a bunch

of divx and avi codec packs.

Nothing.

? Ok whats ffdshow?

So i should uninstall all my divx?

See i dont know what happen but i cant get avi

to show up in roxio now.

I rolled back to media player 10 and installed a bunch

of divx and avi codec packs.

Nothing.

I installed FFDshow (Google it), which is freeware.

I then removed my DIVx Codec by:

Control Panel/ Sounds and Audio Devices / Hardware / Video codecs / Properties / properties / remove.

It worked for me so good luck!!

I installed FFDshow (Google it), which is freeware.

I then removed my DIVx Codec by:

Control Panel/ Sounds and Audio Devices / Hardware / Video codecs / Properties / properties / remove.

It worked for me so good luck!!

interesting. Ok gonna try this and see what happens.

Looks like thats a sound code?

The file plays now with media player i see video i see audio.

But in movie maker still says codec missing.

In dvd builder the video file is x'ed out still.

So its been 3 hours of messing with it gonna go

sleep and try again in the afternoon.

But thanks for your time least it plays and i can

watch it thats a start.

Now converting it or burning it is the issue.

Peace

Tomkatt

I had same problem when I got new camera - old camera was MOV files which Roxio 7 handled OK - but new camera AVI files. After trying same things as you have, I was advised that Roxio 7 cannot handle AVI files and so I upgraded to Roxio 9 which copes with them no problem.

I had same problem when I got new camera - old camera was MOV files which Roxio 7 handled OK - but new camera AVI files. After trying same things as you have, I was advised that Roxio 7 cannot handle AVI files and so I upgraded to Roxio 9 which copes with them no problem.

I don't know who would have told you that EMC 7 can't handle .avi files, but they had no clue what they were talking about. :) EMC 7 handles .avi files just fine.

It's usually a safe bet that if problems occur after a change that the change is the culprit. It's possible that reverting to the older version may cure the problem. Try that and let is know what happens

I have had the same problem and after re - installing Roxio I then installed FFDSHOW codecs and uninstalled all of DIVX and it all works again.

The program mentioned in the post that beerman mentioned worked, but would be a pain in the bum to change all my files like that, and they take up a whole cd when I should be able to fit more on a cd. Guess I will continue converting them and burning with other programs, although the menus you can add would have been nice.

Hi.

I'm having the same problem with my copy of EMC 7 (Basic DVD). I've tried running prefup. That didn't work. I ran VideoInspector, like tomkatt recommended, but that didn't work either.

This is a new problem for me. Until today, I was able to burn avi files to dvd. The only thing that's changed is that I upgraded to DivX 6.5. That's when the trouble began.

Would going back to an older version of DivX help? And where could I find an earlier version?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Hi.

I'm having the same problem with my copy of EMC 7 (Basic DVD). I've tried running prefup. That didn't work. I ran VideoInspector, like tomkatt recommended, but that didn't work either.

This is a new problem for me. Until today, I was able to burn avi files to dvd. The only thing that's changed is that I upgraded to DivX 6.5. That's when the trouble began.

Would going back to an older version of DivX help? And where could I find an earlier version?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

It's usually a safe bet that if problems occur after a change that the change is the culprit. It's possible that reverting to the older version may cure the problem. Try that and let is know what happens

I seem to be having this problem now with Divx files in 7.5. I have updated to Dixv 6.5.1. I tried the prefup fix but it did not work. I dread having to go backward to fix this & can't see myself upgrading to 9 yet...no $ to spend on it when 7.5 was working fine

Maybe you have the same problem, maybe not…

It would be better to start a new Topic outlining your specifics and the problem you are having rather than making bold assumptions and entering a past topic.

When I try to add avi files to create a DVD, most of the files aren't being recognized!! It has then x'ed out and I can't add them! Why is this happening? I want to burn many avi's that I have to dvd, but I can't seem to do most of them! How can I fix this?

It could be a codec problem. What type of avi files are these and do they play on your computer in WMP or another player?

Also, you can try this file called Prefup.

They all play fine in wmp, but i do have some codec packs installed. How do i get roxio to read them?

what does prefup do?

Run prefup and reboot. Not exactly sure what it does but it fixed my problem when I was using v7/7.5. Sometimes other programs take control of the codecs and it's possible this happened in your case. Prefup doesn't work 100% of the time but many times it has helped.

Do a search for 'prefup' and see.

It's an xvid. Have all the codecs though, plays perfect in wmp.

Only other thought it to remove the xvid, reboot and install it again. Not sure if it'll do any good but it certainly won' t hurt.

Searching the forum found this post by someone who had luck with a similar problem. Another post here

Does making an iso then putting it on dvd

help with the audio sync issue?

It gets toward the end of the dvd and

the audio gets out of sync of the video.

I figured this is from a big project going right

to dvd. will going to iso then dvd fix it?

but i have this problem now...

error 80045203 is an error saying it cant

find my dvd drive.

error code 0x80045203 says it wont

open the project when i tried to burn

to an iso file.

any ideas?

cant burn it yet

please let me know

thanks

tomkatt

I don't know who would have told you that EMC 7 can't handle .avi files, but they had no clue what they were talking about. :) EMC 7 handles .avi files just fine.

A conclusion she reached from her December thread.

The files were mpg4. It was the output of a digital still camera she has. They were labeled "AVI" so she falsely assumed V7 can't do AVI.

Few people realize that AVI is comes in many formats and software can only address those that it was designed for. – mpeg4 came out after V7 was written.

ok sorry.

frustrated ya know.

Ok i got it into windows movie maker. Then i load it and save it.

this converts it.

NOW i can take that new file in to roxio dvd builder

and burn the file.

i downloaded divx codecx from divx.com

then go and do this

Download Videoinspector from here: http://www.kcsoftwares.com/index.php?vtb

2. Click "Browse" and find one of the files that appear with the red circle with a line through it.

3. Under the "Browse" button is a box labeled "Video." In that box there is line that says "Codec." I think all files i have come across that have the red circle/line are xvid. (With the exception of a few.)

4. At the top, under "extra tools" click fourcc changer. If it says XVID in both boxes, I think this could be the problem. They show up in DVD Builder and Videowave as red circle/line files. (And I do have the codecs installed and they do work.)

----

Now sometimes we still have issues. so we make the dvd builder and make it an ISO image.

THEN use disc copier to burn that iso on to the dvd

and finally we have a movie.

Least i can burn the file now even if it takes longer.

thanks

Archived