GOOSEMON

Roxio Freezes Dvd/cd Burner

Question

Aloha. This is my second time trying to install ROXIO without having it freeze the application. After installation I try to view or even access a cd/dvd and the application freeze (ROXIO 8). I am not able to terminate the application using the task manager. The only way to free up the app is to power off my machines. Does anyone have any suggestions?

My first attempt at installing ROXIO 8, I used the custom setup. My second attempt, I thought I would take the defaults. There was no difference. This problem is becoming rather annoying.

System:

AMD Sempron 2800+

Biostar GeoForce 6100 M7 - motherboard

1 gig memory - Kingston

NEC DVD_RW ND-3540A - DVD/CD Burner

Windows XP SP2

Applications Running:

Tren Micro - Antivirus

SpySweeper - Webroot

iTunes / iPod - Applie

Zoom Browser - Cannon

Word, Excel, Access - Microsoft

Can anyone help?????

21 answers to this question

Aloha. This is my second time trying to install ROXIO without having it freeze the application. After installation I try to view or even access a cd/dvd and the application freeze (ROXIO 8). I am not able to terminate the application using the task manager. The only way to free up the app is to power off my machines. Does anyone have any suggestions?

My first attempt at installing ROXIO 8, I used the custom setup. My second attempt, I thought I would take the defaults. There was no difference. This problem is becoming rather annoying.

System:

AMD Sempron 2800+

Biostar GeoForce 6100 M7 - motherboard

1 gig memory - Kingston

NEC DVD_RW ND-3540A - DVD/CD Burner

Windows XP SP2

Applications Running:

Tren Micro - Antivirus

SpySweeper - Webroot

iTunes / iPod - Applie

Zoom Browser - Cannon

Word, Excel, Access - Microsoft

Can anyone help?????

Is the install complete? Are the problem beginning after the install??

My problem occurs after the install. I can run all the Roxio applications just fine. However, when I put any sort of media into my dvd/cd burner the application (ROXIO) just freezes. Very, very odd :)

Are you able to open any of the programs or are thy all this way???

I'm able to run all my applications, but ROXIO is the only one which freezes when I put in any media. Actually, this situation also occurs when I try to rip a cd from iTunes.

Previously when this issued occured I unistalled iTunes thinking it was the problem. However, the issue persisted. Then I removed ROXIO and everything was fine. At first I thought it might be an issue with both applications vying for the same resource but I am not sure at this point.

Just to clarify.

Are you able to open any the programs (video wave, My dvd, soud editior, creator classic, etc) in Roxio? list which one you can open and which one you cannot.

I can run all the ROXIO applications no problem. However, if I attempt to play/work with any media via the dvd/cd burner while ROXIO is up, then is freezes all ROXIO applications.

Is the rewults the same w/o using itunes. I Knew ther was a problem a while back w/ itunes.

Yes. If both applications are installed iTunes freezes whenever I try to access the media player (dvd/cdrom). Let me just sum this up:

Both iTunes and Roxio installed: If either application is open and I try to access my dvd/cd player, then both applications freeze.

iTunes installed alone: Everything workds great.

Roxio installed alone: I have not tried this yet.

Summary: I am thinking there may be some compatability issues? Or maybe both applications are trying to access the media player continously?

Any suggestions of fixes you heard of? By the way, thanks for the responses.

Yes. If both applications are installed iTunes freezes whenever I try to access the media player (dvd/cdrom). Let me just sum this up:

Both iTunes and Roxio installed: If either application is open and I try to access my dvd/cd player, then both applications freeze.

iTunes installed alone: Everything workds great.

Roxio installed alone: I have not tried this yet.

Summary: I am thinking there may be some compatability issues? Or maybe both applications are trying to access the media player continously?

Any suggestions of fixes you heard of? By the way, thanks for the responses.

What option(s) did you select when you installed EMC8?

You could try going thru add/remove programs, select change, then modify, and deselect Drag to Disc so it is removed. this may helps.

If I remember there correcly there was an issue w/ roxio and itunes. i can't seem to locate the solution, but I will post it as soon as I do.

What option(s) did you select when you installed EMC8?

You could try going thru add/remove programs, select change, then modify, and deselect Drag to Disc so it is removed. this may helps.

I tried both a Typical and Custom. However, I did notice that Drag to Disc was one of the applications hung when trying to terminated the process in my Task Manager. It looks like Drag to Disc is initialized on start up? I may have to try this if there is no other fixes?

I am currently running iTunes 6.0. I am always hesitant about upgrading versions until it has been thouroughly tested.

I am thinking of try a custom install without Drag to Disc. Any thoughts?

I am currently running iTunes 6.0. I am always hesitant about upgrading versions until it has been thouroughly tested.

I am thinking of try a custom install without Drag to Disc. Any thoughts?

It could work. Uninstall both iTunes and EMC 8 and reboot. Install EMC 8 first, then iTunes. If it doesn't work that way, then reverse the order of the installs.

Go to the Roxio Knowledge Base - article EE8000011

I just installed EMC8 yesterday 01/29/06 and could not use either of me two cd/dvd burners. It tells you what the cause of the problem is and gives you a url to the cure. I applied the cure. The problem is gone. Now I want to know what the RX Filter is and why we might need it. So far I have not found that information

Go to the Roxio Knowledge Base - article EE8000011

I just installed EMC8 yesterday 01/29/06 and could not use either of me two cd/dvd burners. It tells you what the cause of the problem is and gives you a url to the cure. I applied the cure. The problem is gone. Now I want to know what the RX Filter is and why we might need it. So far I have not found that information

Did you run the rxfilter disabler after installation or before. I would assume before?

Did you run the rxfilter disabler after installation or before. I would assume before?

After, I did not have a problem before the installation of EMC 8.

Thanks for the RX Filter suggestions. It worked. However, I would also like to know what this RX Filter disabler does?

Thanks for all the help.

Thanks for the RX Filter suggestions. It worked. However, I would also like to know what this RX Filter disabler does?

Thanks for all the help.

Glad I could help.

The knowledge base page says the filter allows you to read/use compressed/encrypted files that you created and saved to CD/DVD using EMC 8. If you turn off the filter you hve to use Roxio Retieve to access these files. I say so what. If I can't see the drives I can't access the discs anyway. I posted a message (Frozen CD etc) that got two responses that basically say what I already knew.

I think the problem may be a conflict with Trend Micro Internet Security program and its imbeddded anti-virus. I will leave the filter shutoff before I will exchange this power for something lesser.

It could work. Uninstall both iTunes and EMC 8 and reboot. Install EMC 8 first, then iTunes. If it doesn't work that way, then reverse the order of the installs.

:) How can I find Roxio Knowledge Base - article EE8000011? I type in Roxio Knowledge Base - article EE8000011 in Search and get nothing.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Phil

Viet Nam vet 1970-71

:) How can I find Roxio Knowledge Base - article EE8000011? I type in Roxio Knowledge Base - article EE8000011 in Search and get nothing.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Phil

Viet Nam vet 1970-71

Here you go, Phil. Where in Nam? Mekong Delta, here.

http://www.roxio.com/en/support/kb/emc8/ee...XWKJWCQAMYWRVQQ