scojjtoe

sense key error, sense code INTERRUPTED/NON BURNED DVD

Question

i have a new macbook using mac 10.4.8 and i installed toast 8 this week. when i try to burn a dvd, sometimes it works, but most times, i get the error message "drive reported an error / sense key=hardware error / sense code= 0x03, 0x01" i have followed suggestions such as enabling buffer underrun prevention and setting write speed to x1. i have tried saving file as a disc image and burning the dvd that way. i have tried burning the dvd directly from the file. neither have worked. i am using maxell dvd-r discs at the suggestion of the people at my local apple store. since this computer is only about a month old, i don't think it has anything to do with the computer or with its recorder, since i'm guessing these are all up to date. thanks again scott

Edited by scojjtoe

21 answers to this question

I suggest trying a different brand of media. Try Verbatim or Apple. If you can, get some Taiyo Yuden, it is the best.

thanks....i'll try that....scott

Hi there

Did you manage to find a fix for this? I am amso have the same problem.

the drive key reported an error,

sense key = hardware error,

sense code = 0x03, 0x01,

disc failed to be written

Hi there

Did you manage to find a fix for this? I am amso have the same problem.

the drive key reported an error,

sense key = hardware error,

sense code = 0x03, 0x01,

disc failed to be written

Is yours a new Macbook, too? If not, are you using an internal or external drive? What brand of drive and what brand/type of media?

Is yours a new Macbook, too? If not, are you using an internal or external drive? What brand of drive and what brand/type of media?

Sorry.....

Mac mini

internal drive

i will have to post the make/model of drive & diskswhen I get home :)

Sorry.....

Mac mini

internal drive

i will have to post the make/model of drive & diskswhen I get home :)

Disk - princo Datawrite Classic Yellow DVD-R

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-846:

Firmware Revision: FM3J

Interconnect: ATAPI

Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)

Cache: 2048 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL

Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes

Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO

Media:

Media Type: DVD-RW

Blank: No

Erasable: Yes

Overwritable: Yes

Appendable: No

Disk - princo Datawrite Classic Yellow DVD-R

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-846:

Apple's Superdrives - and in particular the Matshita slot-load drives - are often troublesome and Apple rarely issues firmware updates to resolve issues. I agree with freshburn that your first troubleshooting step is to test with Verbatim or Apple media. It very well could be that the drive's firmware doesn't support the brand of media you are using.

You can see user reports about your media by inserting a blank DVD and choosing Disc Info from the Recorder menu in Toast. In the window that appears there is a link that takes you to a videohelp.com site where people submit user comments about different brands of media.

Apple's Superdrives - and in particular the Matshita slot-load drives - are often troublesome and Apple rarely issues firmware updates to resolve issues. I agree with freshburn that your first troubleshooting step is to test with Verbatim or Apple media. It very well could be that the drive's firmware doesn't support the brand of media you are using.

You can see user reports about your media by inserting a blank DVD and choosing Disc Info from the Recorder menu in Toast. In the window that appears there is a link that takes you to a videohelp.com site where people submit user comments about different brands of media.

Thanks again :)

I am now trying a verbatim DWD+RW

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.php?sele...ia=294#comments

Edited by laurynsausage

My verbatim discs worked fine :huh:

Thanks so much for posting your solution. We sometimes never hear if our suggestions work or not and it is nice to get confirmation that we arent just going crazy.

Of course maybe we are, and we happen to simply be right about the media :)

i have a new macbook using mac 10.4.8 and i installed toast 8 this week. when i try to burn a dvd, sometimes it works, but most times, i get the error message "drive reported an error / sense key=hardware error / sense code= 0x03, 0x01" i have followed suggestions such as enabling buffer underrun prevention and setting write speed to x1. i have tried saving file as a disc image and burning the dvd that way. i have tried burning the dvd directly from the file. neither have worked. i am using maxell dvd-r discs at the suggestion of the people at my local apple store. since this computer is only about a month old, i don't think it has anything to do with the computer or with its recorder, since i'm guessing these are all up to date. thanks again scott

The same thing with my new iMac 2.33 Intel when I tried to burn DVD DL. I tried with Verbatim and Samsung and reached result only two times. Single layer TDK DVD is OK. Burner is Matshita DVD-R UJ-85J.

The same thing with my new iMac 2.33 Intel when I tried to burn DVD DL. I tried with Verbatim and Samsung and reached result only two times. Single layer TDK DVD is OK. Burner is Matshita DVD-R UJ-85J.

That's really frustrating given the cost of those discs. If you go to Apple's discussions forum for your Mac you'll likely see lots of posts regarding problems with the Superdrives. At least that's the case for those Matshita slot-loading drives in the forums for Macs I own. My only recommendation is to use Verbatim DL media and/or do what I did: get an external tray-loading drive for burning video DVDs. I just don't trust those Matshita drives.

That's really frustrating given the cost of those discs. If you go to Apple's discussions forum for your Mac you'll likely see lots of posts regarding problems with the Superdrives. At least that's the case for those Matshita slot-loading drives in the forums for Macs I own. My only recommendation is to use Verbatim DL media and/or do what I did: get an external tray-loading drive for burning video DVDs. I just don't trust those Matshita drives.

hi again. scojjtoe here, the original poster of this issue. the first answer i received said to try different disc, saying that taiyo yuden was the best. i bought 50 of these, and guess what!? same thing happened. got same error message, sense key error, sense code etc. gee whiz, you would think that with the NEWEST mac on the market and the NEWEST version of toast that a guy would be able to burn a disc with reasonable success. no such luck details of burner are as follows:

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857D:

Firmware Revision: KBV9

Interconnect: ATAPI

Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)

Cache: 2048 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL

Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes

Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO

Media: No

i'm grateful for all the advice, but still can't fathom spending this money and having no luck. do you know much about these external tray loading drives? any particular kind? price? where do they hook up to the mac?

do you really believe that verbatim will work better than taiyo yuden or is it just the drive that apple supplies? i'm not sure if the previous post saying that tdk was working meant that that was actually a solution? which media? tdk or verbatim or trial and error? does + or - make a difference? apple people suggested dvd-r, but so far, not much luck.

you guys are great to take the time to respond to us.

scott

Edited by scojjtoe

i'm grateful for all the advice, but still can't fathom spending this money and having no luck. do you know much about these external tray loading drives? any particular kind? price? where do they hook up to the mac?

do you really believe that verbatim will work better than taiyo yuden or is it just the drive that apple supplies? i'm not sure if the previous post saying that tdk was working meant that that was actually a solution? which media? tdk or verbatim or trial and error? does + or - make a difference? apple people suggested dvd-r, but so far, not much luck.

you guys are great to take the time to respond to us.

scott

The Taiyo Yuden discs should work fine and I don't think trying more brands will make any difference. Personally I think you have a faulty drive and I'd contact Apple's Customer Support to begin the process of seeking a replacement. They will insist you test with Apple's burn applications instead of Toast.

As for external drives, I like LaCie's products because they provide firmware updates that can be flashed on a Mac. There are others that do this as well. You can check the drive compatibility database at www.xlr8yourmac.com for user reports on various drives (including your Superdrive).

The Taiyo Yuden discs should work fine and I don't think trying more brands will make any difference. Personally I think you have a faulty drive and I'd contact Apple's Customer Support to begin the process of seeking a replacement. They will insist you test with Apple's burn applications instead of Toast.

As for external drives, I like LaCie's products because they provide firmware updates that can be flashed on a Mac. There are others that do this as well. You can check the drive compatibility database at www.xlr8yourmac.com for user reports on various drives (including your Superdrive).

I've tried to burn with external drive Samsung SE-S184 Writemaster as you reccomend. And what I've got? Using Toast 8 I've got the same error. But when I tried to use little program called Disco with this external drive it was OK. I decided to continue my tests and tried with internal Matshita UJ-85J using Disco (v.1.0.2) and Apple Disc Utility and it was OK as well!!! Very strange is that I burned one disc after using it with Toast 8 and receiving error message "sense key error, sense code" (this "using" and failed disc was in normal conditions as new one). It signifies that Toast 8 even didn't try to burn DVD DL and simply fails or declines this function .

So it seems to me that this bug is connected to Toast 8 and Intel Macs (most probably).

Anyway I'm thinking external drive about and what is your opinion abot last Freecom LS Pro with Lightsribe?

bely

Anyway I'm thinking external drive about and what is your opinion abot last Freecom LS Pro with Lightsribe?

bely

I don't know anything about Freecom drives, but freshburn posted his opinion a couple days ago Here.

I don't know anything about Freecom drives, but freshburn posted his opinion a couple days ago Here.

Thanx, I read freshburn message and all that thread. Although stuppy problem is another but it looks very similar to my thoughts about Toast 8. I read too many messages in Internet from people who use different internal and external, different drives and the problem still exist (I mean that Toast 8 don't want to burn DVD Dual Layers media at all).

Any ideas?

remm

Any ideas?

remm

Nope. My experience is with G4 and G5 Macs and I'm not encountering the problems some others are having getting good burns with Toast 8. I know an update is coming (after all, Toast 7 is at 7.1.2) so hopefully these issues are fixable Toast bugs and aren't due to other issues with your Mac, media or drive.

I do all my DVD burning with my Firewire LaCie D2 drive. I've read too many complaints about the Matshita slot-loading drives at Apple's discussion forums so I don't even bother using them except for an occassional audio CD.

I've encountered the same issue and the only reason i've felt it necessary to ask for help here is, I'm using media that has worked perfectly well for every other popcorn burn with the mashita drive i've ever done (at least 60 burns). I'm using Sony DVD-R and have made exactly zero coasters until today. I doubt highly that the Mashita drive suddenly stopped liking the media it's functioned so well with up until now. Any suggestions about cause that aren't a media compatibility issue?