Capturing from DVD in 16:9 (but comes out in 4:3)

Aeropars

Question

Hi Guys,

Just got the software and I'm trying to extract the video off a DVD created in an Hitachi DVD camera.

I use the capture software and when it shows the DVD info it says its in 16:9 on the disk but when i grap it to MPEG2 it only comes out in 4:3 so when i add it to a 16:9 mydvd project it has the black bars at the side of it.

I read that i can just use the VOB files but that doesnt work either, same problem with the black bars.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Its not very clear on how to do this and if it cant do it then i'll be taking it back for a refund.

Thanks

9 answers to this question

I read that i can just use the VOB files but that doesnt work either, same problem with the black bars.
Sounds like you are doing it correctly. You shouldn't have to do anything 'special'. Create a 16:9 Videowave/MyDVD and add the VOB file to the project.

Did the Hitachi come with software to transfer the files? Maybe that would work better.

No it didnt i'm afraid. It was a christmas present and it was the one below the model that connected to the PC.

Strange thing is that everything (including standalone DVD players) tell us its in 16:9 so it appears to be a'standard' rather than hitachi's own.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for the response... i'm teating my hair out over this :)

Sorry, no idea. 16:9 has always worked for me. There is a known problem when using Media Import to MPEG file, but you shouldn't have that problem with VOB files.

You did just copy the VOB files from the miniDVD to your hard drive first? Just use Windows Explorer and copy one to My Videos. Use that in a Videowave 16:9 project.

HI,

I did this as you suggested but the video is still showing in a squeesed 4:3 with the verticle bars each side.

As a sidenote, I downloaded the trial of Ulead Video Studio and this captured the footage fine in 16:9 with no additional configuration. I'd prefer tu use Rocio though as it looks better for my needs.

I havent tried adding the video that Ulead ripped with the roxio software yet though. Either way, i shouldnt need to do this and will obviously be stuck when the trial expires.

I have a similar problem. I have a DVD which plays back from the DVD player in 16:9 format but which imports using Media Import resulting in a 4:3 file with everyone 'squeezed' (on a diet?). I suspect that the DVD recorder may not be including all the relevant information.

My temporary solution is to use Windows media encoder (free downlaod form Microsoft) which can re-size the original file into a .wmv file.

What I would prefer would be the same function included in the Easy Media Creator toolbox. I have only recently started to use Media Creator seriously; possibly I am missing something which is not immediately obvious? Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

HI,

I did this as you suggested but the video is still showing in a squeesed 4:3 with the verticle bars each side.

As a sidenote, I downloaded the trial of Ulead Video Studio and this captured the footage fine in 16:9 with no additional configuration. I'd prefer tu use Rocio though as it looks better for my needs.

I havent tried adding the video that Ulead ripped with the roxio software yet though. Either way, i shouldnt need to do this and will obviously be stuck when the trial expires.

You could try capturing that .VOB instead of just adding it. I see that that worked for someone in another thread.

Hi,

thats what I tried when i first got the software. I inserted the mini DVD, selected the chapters and captured. The preview came out in 16:9 and the details show of the movie in the capture software also said it was, indeed, 16:9. Output was 4:3 though and I see no opeions on this software to change this.

I even played about with the aspect ratio handling in MyDVD but that just zooms in on the image so its still elongated.

Select edit in Videowave? From where? If you are using the HOME application, we have been seeing some strange things not work.

Go to the START>Programs>Roxio EMC9>Video>Videowave

This opens Videowave and select 16:9 project

You should see Videowave with widescreen preview

Click on ADD PHOTO/VIDEO

navigate to your VOB file, select and click OK

Archived