• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

error while encoding during burning process

bmoney69

Question

during the burning process i'm still getting errors while encoding. i've updated my video drivers and have direct x 9c. all of the movie clips i've add to MYDVD are in MPG-2 format (the only format that will remotely work) if i add movies in the native video wave format, i get an error the second i hit burn. if the movies are in MPG-2 format, the movies encode fine, but i get an error when it gets to the menus. the menus are background videos (in mpg-2 format) with animated buttons. i did a test with just the menu and one button and it worked. but when i have multi movies and menus, i get errors. my system is right out of the box and it's a good system, so it's not too much for the computer.....seems to be a software thing. what am i missing?

7 answers to this question

i updated the video drivers (unfortunatly, not the way larry described in his email.....i didn't uninstall the old drivers first). it did re-evaluate, but still defaulted to software. however, i forced it to hardware, and it the program is now lightning fast!! i do notice that the quality onscreen isn't as good. i don't care about that, as long as when it comes time to burn, it doesn't effect the finished product....will it?

I’m not in front of my system at the moment, but I can answer most of your questions. I don’t know what IE7 or WMP 11 is, so I don’t know if they are on my system.

My screen Res is on the highest setting (1600x?) for some reason it’s the only setting that looks good on the monitor.

I did run the render test the other day and it’s set to software? (Please explain).

I have EMC 9.

I can create both DMSM or MPG2 in Video Wave. I also close Video Wave prior to opening MyDVD. That is the way I do it.

Your next statement is also correct. If I add an MPG2 movie (while in MyDVD), it encodes when I click burn, but it does in fact show me a grey (spelling is acceptable with either an “e” or an “a”) swirl. Once all movies are encoded it begins to encode the menu and I do get a preview while that’s encoding (looks like It’s moving in ultra, ultra slow-mo) the menu movie is also in MPG2 format. It freezes at some point while encoding one of the 3 menus. If I add the movie files as DMSM’s and I click burn, I get an immediate error while encoding the first movie.

I am using a custom menu that I created. I have an MPG2 video in the background, that has lots of effects. I’ve added animated buttons (with a thumbnail preview of the movie it’s linked to) that I’ve changed the location and text and also I’ve made the loop length the same as MPG2 that’s playing in the background (146 sec). I’ve also added audio that I captured from a CD.

I did a test burn with the custom menu I created and a single movie and it was successful.

I should also note some other errors I get. In Video Wave, after I launch the trim editor, edit the length of the clip and close, it gives me an error. A dialog box appears asking if I want to proceed. I click yes and return to my timeline. However, I no longer have a preview of my movie (the box is there, but it’s black). I have to close out of EMC completely and re-launch program.

Sorry it took so long to respond……..I spent some extra time making sure I incorporated some CaPiTol letters, correct grammar, running spell check, using a thesaurus, and checking to see what font and color gave the most correct gamma spectra for clear reading (please note that overhead, indirect, incandescent, lighting at apx 50-60 foot candles measured at the surface of your computer screen will give you the best results for reading this post) <grin>.

Seriously, thanks for your help!

I did run the render test the other day and it's set to software? (Please explain).

Sorry it took so long to respond……..I spent some extra time making sure I incorporated some CaPiTol letters, correct grammar, running spell check, using a thesaurus, and checking to see what font and color gave the most correct gamma spectra for clear reading (please note that overhead, indirect, incandescent, lighting at apx 50-60 foot candles measured at the surface of your computer screen will give you the best results for reading this post) <grin>.

Seriously, thanks for your help!

Much better; these old eyes have problem with lower case "i", missing space, or punctuation and anything that is intended to be text messaged. :huh::):D Yours wasn't originally.

The render text result probably means that you do not have a video card or an updated video card. The program uses the video card to do much of the rendering. If you have only a on-board video chip, the chip will only handle software rendering. It will be slower but perhaps give you a better product. The down side is that you will not be able to use a lot of the transitions (3D, some page turns, etc). If you do force the rendering to hardware, you will see the transitions but if you try to render, the computer will freeze.

IE 7 is the latest and (not) the greatest version of Internet Explorer. Some people have problems with that if it is on your computer. WMP 11 is the latest and (not) the greatest version of Windows Media Player. This has caused more problems for people - not only with the Roxio programs. They have have been added via an automatic update. You can roll back to IE 6 but there is a longer procedure for getting back to WMP 10. Search these boards for that.

Don't use the trim editor if you don't need to. Use the facility in Video Wave to cut out the sections you don't want. Go to the Tips and Tricks section of the V9 board for the movie demo of how to do that.

I'm now wondering if your computer is not quite set up properly to do video editing without a problem. It looks like any prolonged use of your CPU causes troubles. First, when you are doing video editing, defrag your hard drive and check your computer for malware. Reboot, disconnect from the internet and shut down all running programs that you don't need. If your computer is a lap top, turn off all power saving features - sometimes these make your computer run at half speed. Also set your computer to best performance using Windows; not best appearance. if it is a Dell 051 or 061, there have been a lot of complaints that are usually fixed by contacting Dell.

I know that I didn't address all your issues yet but I hope this is a start.

I appriciate you taking the time to explain this stuff to me. It's starting to make sence. I'm not unfamiliar with computers, but i am when it comes to video editing. This is my first taste of it, and i'm hooked!!

OK, I'm not sure if you saw, but I did include the specs of my system in my signature line, as you requested. My video card is "after market" that I purchased the same time as my system. i was under the impression that it was a good card with lots of dedicated memory? (I mean the thing has it's own fan built in.....it must be good!) Maybe I need to update the drivers, I'll do that.

I did install the latest version of direct X9c.

The comment you made about not being set up for video editing is interesting, because I notice after about an hour of editing things start to get sluggish and i need to reboot to clear things out. I also get better results (higher success rate) when i reboot right before burning a disc.

I'll take your suggestions and let you know how things worked out tomorrow!

Thanks!

I appriciate you taking the time to explain this stuff to me. It's starting to make sence. I'm not unfamiliar with computers, but i am when it comes to video editing. This is my first taste of it, and i'm hooked!!

OK, I'm not sure if you saw, but I did include the specs of my system in my signature line, as you requested. My video card is "after market" that I purchased the same time as my system. i was under the impression that it was a good card with lots of dedicated memory? (I mean the thing has it's own fan built in.....it must be good!) Maybe I need to update the drivers, I'll do that.

I did install the latest version of direct X9c.

The comment you made about not being set up for video editing is interesting, because I notice after about an hour of editing things start to get sluggish and i need to reboot to clear things out. I also get better results (higher success rate) when i reboot right before burning a disc.

I'll take your suggestions and let you know how things worked out tomorrow!

Thanks!

Yes, try updating the video drivers to the most current from NVidia's site. That card should be ok. Also make sure you follow the driver install instructions of uninstall old driver, reboot, install new driver, reboot. Then when you open Videowave or MyDVD the program should re-evaluate your video card. It should then be set to Hardware rendering if all goes well.

during the burning process i'm still getting errors while encoding. i've updated my video drivers and have direct x 9c. all of the movie clips i've add to MYDVD are in MPG-2 format (the only format that will remotely work) if i add movies in the native video wave format, i get an error the second i hit burn. if the movies are in MPG-2 format, the movies encode fine, but i get an error when it gets to the menus. the menus are background videos (in mpg-2 format) with animated buttons. i did a test with just the menu and one button and it worked. but when i have multi movies and menus, i get errors. my system is right out of the box and it's a good system, so it's not too much for the computer.....seems to be a software thing. what am i missing?

Punctuation and some capital letters. It is really difficult to read and understand your post. :)

Since you have a new computer, you know what you bought; please add the system specs to your signature by going through My Controls at the top of the boards and then to the lower left of the page that opens. What video card/chip do you have? Is it an on-board chip? Do you have IE 7 and WMP 11 on your computer? What screen resolution are you using? In VideoWave or MyDVD, go to the top menu select options, tools and then run the render test. Is the dot near software or hardware after the test?

What Roxio product do you have? You posted in V9 but it could be EMC 9, MyDVD 9 Studio or MyDVD 9 Premier.

From what I read, you were able to use Video Wave to create and save your project (dmsm format) or output it to a mpg2 for DVD file. You closed VideoWave and opened MyDVD. Is that correct? If not, then this is the suggested way to do it. If you go to the little DVD icon, you open an Assistant (lite version). Some people have problems with that Assistant.

If you add an mpg2 movie, it encodes when you click burn. Do you see a gray swirl screen showing that the files are already in the correct format? Once that encodes, you have a problem with encoding the menu. Is that correct? If you add the dmsm file, and you click on burn, you get an immediate freeze. You do not have a problem if you just add one file. Please explain if you are using a standard menu or if it is one your created yourself..

Please respond with the answers to these questions. I know there is a lot of them but listing them in one post might speed up the trouble shooting process. :huh:

Archived