• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

why wont 4.4gb fit on 4.7gb DVD?

klepham yarima

Question

hello there,

i am brand new to toast 8, having previously used toast 6. i have a fairly straightforward question. when i try to burn 4.4gb of avi files onto a regular DVD (as 'data') i get a warning that 4.4gb spans approximately two DVDs. ???

never had this happen in toast 6, and i understood that toast allows you to squeeze pretty much a full amount of data into a cd or dvd.

has something changed with toast 8, is this just normal, or is it likely that i have made an error somewhere along the way? also, i should note that i have an intel macbook... in case that makes any difference.

thanks for your time!

ps. if i use toast 6 (i still have the disc somewhere) would it work then?

3 answers to this question

I don't think it will work with Toast 6 either, because the actual capacity of a single layer DVD is 4.38 GB...

I don't think it will work with Toast 6 either, because the actual capacity of a single layer DVD is 4.38 GB...

really?! ah, i feel stupid now. i knew that you were best not to try and fit something 4.6gb in size, but had no idea that the margin was so much larger. do you know why they do this?

anyway, thanks so much. im just going to compress a few of the avis a bit more.

really?! ah, i feel stupid now. i knew that you were best not to try and fit something 4.6gb in size, but had no idea that the margin was so much larger. do you know why they do this?

anyway, thanks so much. im just going to compress a few of the avis a bit more.

It's mathematics and definitions.

Computer OSes generally calculate things this way: 1 kilobyte = 1024 bytes, 1 megabyte = 1024 kilobytes, 1 gigabyte = 1024 megabytes. Thus, 1 gigabyte is 1,073,741,824 bytes

Using the SI definitions of kilo-, mega-, and giga, we get 1 kilobyte = 1000 bytes, 1 megabyte = 1000 kilobytes, 1 gigabyte = 1000 kilobytes. Making it 1,000,000,000 bytes for a gigabyte.

A DVD, as defined by the DVD Forum, holds 4,700,000,000 bytes for a single layer, single sided disc. If you do the math, that means it holds ~4.377 gigabytes (if 1 gigabyte = 1,073,741,824 bytes).

As for why operating systems measure things this way and storage is measured that way...that's a really long and complicated story that has no real conclusion. Almost on par with politcal and religious debates.

Archived