ECDC 5: Can't add new session once CD-R has been removed from burner.

johndh2

I'm using ECDC 5.3.5.10v with a Yamaha CRW-4416S burner on an old Dell running Win98SE. I pretty new to this and have lots to learn. The trouble I'm having is that once I take a burned CD out of the burner and reinsert it, I can't see my burned sessions anymore. These are Data CD Projects. They show up OK in my CD-ROM drive but not the burner. Because of this I'm unable to add another session to the CD; the ECDC "Disc Information" tells me it is just a CD-ROM and is not writeable. As long as I don't remove the CD from the burner I can write as many Data CD sessions as I want, but as soon as I remove the disc the sessions disappear and the disc becomes closed as far as the burner is concerned. Does anyone have any suggestions for correcting this situation? Thanks for anything.

Are you using Data Project (which is written in Sessions, and is stable) or DirectCD (which is a Packet-Writing program, and, like other Packet-Writing programs - Drag2Disc, Nero's InCD, Sonic's DLA, etc - is fussy at best and will lose all the information at worst)?

Lynn

I'm using ECDC 5.3.5.10v with a Yamaha CRW-4416S burner on an old Dell running Win98SE. I pretty new to this and have lots to learn. The trouble I'm having is that once I take a burned CD out of the burner and reinsert it, I can't see my burned sessions anymore. These are Data CD Projects. They show up OK in my CD-ROM drive but not the burner. Because of this I'm unable to add another session to the CD; the ECDC "Disc Information" tells me it is just a CD-ROM and is not writeable. As long as I don't remove the CD from the burner I can write as many Data CD sessions as I want, but as soon as I remove the disc the sessions disappear and the disc becomes closed as far as the burner is concerned. Does anyone have any suggestions for correcting this situation? Thanks for anything.

And this is true even if you reboot or power-off your PC? Or only if you leave it on and running while the disc is inserted? It sounds like your drive is having trouble reading the disc. Do please answer Lynn's questions of whether your using the Data CD project (where you add files to the layout, then burn all the files), or Direct CD (where you drag-and-drop files to the CD using Windows Explorere).

Have you tried any different brands of discs? Also, are you using CD-R (write once) or CD-RW (erasable) media? I would suggest trying CD-R media and pick up a few discs of different brands to see if one works better than another.

Let us know how you make out.

Are you using Data Project (which is written in Sessions, and is stable) or DirectCD (which is a Packet-Writing program, and, like other Packet-Writing programs - Drag2Disc, Nero's InCD, Sonic's DLA, etc - is fussy at best and will lose all the information at worst)?

Lynn

Thanks for getting back so quickly. I tried to make it clear in my original posting that these were all Data CD Projects. I have not used DirectCD for anything.

And this is true even if you reboot or power-off your PC? Or only if you leave it on and running while the disc is inserted? It sounds like your drive is having trouble reading the disc. Do please answer Lynn's questions of whether your using the Data CD project (where you add files to the layout, then burn all the files), or Direct CD (where you drag-and-drop files to the CD using Windows Explorere).

Have you tried any different brands of discs? Also, are you using CD-R (write once) or CD-RW (erasable) media? I would suggest trying CD-R media and pick up a few discs of different brands to see if one works better than another.

Let us know how you make out.

Yes, the behavior doesn't change after a reboot or a power-off. See reply to Lynn's question above. I have not tried more than one brand of discs. These are Verbatim 52X 700MB CD-R's. I'll try some others. Thanks.

Archived