• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Jerky Video

ycmglenn

Question

All of my DVD burns in Toast 8 are jerky. I have tried to burn shows from TiVo to go, Eye TV and even disc copy and they all turn out jerky. I have turned the Re-encode option to Never. Even experimented with lowering the bit rate. And it's not the media. I try to burn the same shows (except TiVo shows) using the same brand of discs in Toast 7 and everything is perfect. I have an iMac G5 and a MacBook Pro. Tried this on both computers. Have checked this thread for this exact issue and haven't found it. If it is on here, could someone provide me with a link. Any help at all will be appreciated. Thanks!

• Answers 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! If it's a Toast 8 bug (which I suspected) I'll just wait for an update. Til then I'll stick with Toast 7 for burning. At least I can watch the TiVo shows in Front Row so it's not a total loss. It's just not what I paid for.

Out of curiosity, what happens if you choose Save as Disc Image when you are set up to burn a DVD of the Tivo video in Toast 8 and then burn that disc image file to DVD using the Copy window in Toast 7?

I similar problem occurred when Apple upgraded iDVD to iDVD2 (I'm old enough to remember that). Apparently the problem is that not all DVD players are truly DVD compliant. iDVD2 apparently produced "legal" files that some DVD players (especially some of the Windows software DVD players) played back with jerky video. I believe the problem was the way that the audio and video were multiplexed. I have similar issues with the original Mary Poppins commercial disk.

Most likely, the problems you are experiencing is related to a bug in your hardware players. However, since your hardware cannot be updated, Roxio will need to modify the software.

I've been experimenting more with Toast's encoding settings after a discovery I made when moving EyeTV recordings directly to Toast. I noticed my SD (480i) projects were being re-encoded whereas mpeg2 files I dragged into Toast myself were not. The resulting re-encoded disc images played back using OS X's DVD Player did not have interlaced artifacts and my burned discs no longer had this subtle horizontal shift when played in my stand-alone Pioneer player.

Even better-- no more jerky movement! This one minor change (longer processing times now, however) has made the difference for me. I'm not saying this will work for everyone and Toast still isn't doing a good job with HD material, but for SD, I'm very pleased with the results.

Needless to stay, I have switched from Automatic encoding to Custom. I then selected "Always" for the re-encoding setting and "Progressive" for Field Dominance. Using Custom also allows me to bump up the audio bit rate a tad.

I'm not using any EyeTV files. I'm using the same MPEG4 file on the same media with the same player. The only variable here is the encoding process. The MPEG4 was not converted to DV with iMovie or any other program prior to "dropping it into" iDVD.

Since the only variable here is the encoding process, that is what must be at issue here. Not the media. Not the file type. Not the burn rate. Just the encoding process.

I would bet, though, that on probably on a majority of DVD players, the video plays without a hitch. However, was with one of our DVD players (and as many others have posted here), on certain DVD players, the Toast 8 encoding process produces "jerky" video.

cnsayre

Ok, here are the results of my second burn.... Jerky playback on a Magnavox DVD player (I didnt have time to get the model number) but plays back perfect on my Denon player. Unfortunately, for my project, I needed the Toasted disc to play on the Magnavox player. I ended up just submitting the original source DVD (which played just fine on the Magnavox player).

I have to note something important... The first time I toasted three different VOB files onto the disc. The first two VOBs were 2.35:1 aspect ratio, and the third was 4:3. The last VOB that was in 4:3 played back without any jitter. The second time I toasted, I only included the two VOBs with 2.35:1 aspect. They still played back with jitter.

Ok... so I know this: The toasted video plays back with Jitter on the Magnavox player when it reads the 2.35:1 aspect ratio, but fine on the Denon. The Magnavox player plays the original DVD in 2.35:1 without jitter. Toasted 4:3 video plays fine on the Magnavox.

So, I know my Verbatim DVD+R DL is good, I know the Magnavox DVD player plays back non-Toast discs without any problems. So... why do these toasted discs not play in one player and play in another? Im on the fence... on one side, I see Toast's encoding is the problem, and in the other, I think it is the Magna Player's fault. I guess, the solution is (right now) to replace the DVD player with one that will play normally with Toasted discs.

Would someone point me in the direction of a list of Toast 8 compatible DVD players?

Thanks!

Out of curiosity, what happens if you choose Save as Disc Image when you are set up to burn a DVD of the Tivo video in Toast 8 and then burn that disc image file to DVD using the Copy window in Toast 7?

That's the same question I asked above and never heard back. Seems to me that it would answer the question about whether Toast 8 is the issue or if the media/player combination is the culprit.

Bob

Well, I am having the same stutter problem and just posted to the Toast 7 discussion that the problem continues with version 8 when burning from eyetv. Here is my post with some details:

Add me to the list with this stutter problem burning via Toast from eyetv. I had the problem with Toast 7.1. I was hoping it was fixed in Toast 8. Just tried, and the problem is identical. Incredible stuttering on playback. Tried with TDK DVD-Rs and Memorex DVD-DLs. Exactly the same problem. I am running Toast 8, Mac OS X 10.4.8 and eyetv 2.3.3. Toast is doing the encoding, not eyetv so the problem is in Toast. This is an ongoing problem that simply was not in Toast 7.0. Is there going to be a fix from Roxio?

Note: This is not a Toast download problem as I have purchased the product from Amazon.

[One correction: The Memorex DVDs I got the same problem with were DVD+DLs]

[Addition: I am running this on an early 2006 Intel iMac with 2 gig of RAM and a 2 GHz Intel Core Duo processor, if that matters. The DVD player is a Samsung DVD-HD850. Finally, burning DVDs generally via Toast 7.1 and 8.0 are fine, it is only DVDs burned with Toast doing the encoding that is a problem.]

I've burned lots of EyeTV content, both SD and HD, and it always plays just fine on my DVD players.

Memorex DVD are notoriously bad, never use them. Does the DVD play OK on the Mac?

What EyeTV do you have and what recording settings are you using?

I would also question the Samsung players up-converter.

I know that Memorex DVDs are notoriosly bad. I had some DLs that I tried in desperation after creating about a dozen TDK coasters.

The DVD player has played, and continues to play, without any problem TDKs burned with Toast 7.1 and 8.0 if I used video_TS folder copies. It is only moving the content from eyetv (which I believe is mpeg-2) triggering encoding in Toast that creates bad DVDs. I am using an elgato eyetv hybrid. The stuttering video occurs in playback on one of my macs (the iMac I use for burning) but not on another (a powerbook G4 that is about 3 years old).

It may be the DVD player, but I haven't had this problem on any disc that does not involve Toast encoding.

Have to report that I'm having the same trouble; jerky, stuttering video at all burn settings. I've tried everything down to a burn speed of 1x using Fuji DVD-Rs and cannot get smooth video to save my own life. Tried NEVER reencoding, tried upping the bit rate, tried BEST quality, cannot dodge this bullet.

Everything looks fine viewing the file on the Toast Video Player, everything looks fine when I burn a disc image and play that through DVD Player. But going to disc does not work. Disc looks okay playing on computer, but tried 2 different DVD players (Sony and Samsung) and it's the same in both. I'll try different media next, but not expecting much.

I'll keep watching for a fix.

The EyeTV hybrid supports HD and SD. Are you using HD or SD? Have the files been edited? When you play the files in EyeTV, what is the resolution and bit rate of the file?

How long are the files? Do you have Toast set to Automatic encoding? If the files are DVD compliant MPEG, Toast will only multiplex. If they are not compliant or are too big for the disc, Toast may re-encode the files.

However, if they play OK on one Mac, but not the other Mac, it sounds like media.

Have you burned at a slower speed.

I will also throw my hat into the ring. I also have "jerky video" from the lastest Toast. I went back to 7.02 -- the jerk is gone -- but the jaggy yellow box appears. Unfortunately, I have no choice but to use iDvd for my video production (Eye TV). I do like the built in Disc Catalog Maker. Hope there is a FIX. :o

I had the same problem w/ toast 6.0

6.1.1 fixed tat but but now i have problems w/ aspect ratio

got 8 hoping to fix it and 8 wont open after install :(

I haven't changed my toast 7 settings so i guess the Eye Tv programs did re-encode. I have it on auto. Only reason I changed 8 to never re-encode was because of a suggestion I read on a thread in the TiVo To Go section regarding TiVo programs being jerky on disc. Have tried to burn stuff in Toast 8 with never re-encode and auto with the same jerky results. Thanks for your patience...I'm on the road.

By the way, I was able to recreate the problem I am having. After a few rum and cokes, I decided to use VLC to playback the disc image instead of DVD Player, just to see what would happen. Turns out, VLC plays back the disc image with the same jerky video as I experienced with the Magnavox dvd player!

I just thought I would provide this lillte bit of info. Thanks! What I find to be unbeleivable is that I am able to type as well as I can in my current state of intoxication.... anywho.... hope this lil bit of info helps!

CHEERS!

My 2 cents on this issue:

On older Samsung DVD player: Jerky video on DVDs produced with Toast 7 and 8

On Philips DVP5140: Same DVDs play much more smoothly, although not as smoothly as the source video.

But, unless I need to play the DVDs on another player, I much prefer to produce DivX DVDs; they hold far more video and play more smoothly overall. That's the reason I bought the Philips DVP5140, which, incidentally, I recommend highly. The downside to the DivX discs is that the menus are very basic, and I do not know if subtitles are supported.

Followed suggestions above. Created a disc image in Toast 8 and burned the image in Toast 7. Used a TiVo transfer of the Office. Exactly the same jerky play back in both of our set top dvd players. But both Disc image and dvd play fine on both Macs. No other discs play back jerky on our set top players. A dvd we created tonight in Toast 7 from Eye Tv programs using the same media and playing in the same set top dvd players are fine.

Thanks. This provides more clues. Forgetting about TiVo for a moment, you also said that burning EyeTV files in Toast 8 - without re-encoding - gets you jerky video that isn't happening in Toast 7. Is that the case?

I'm sorry this is so puzzling.

If you don't send John files, it will never be fixed. All my DVD from EyeTV and DivX work perfectly. If this was a problem with all DVD, it would have been fixed by now I'm sure. I've tried DVD on several Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic and Samsung players and I have not stuttering.

I tried somethign else.

I have Toast 7.1 on an older Titanium G4 Mac.

I used the a different Tivo download.

I used a Sony external burner.

Both computers tested have the latest version of Tiger (but one is Intel Duo and one is a G4).

I still have the same jerky DVD problem.

So I'm down to the problem being either or both the Tivo file or Tiger OS.

Help.

R.

Have you tried downgrading to Toast 7.0.2? I bet that fixes it. (You have to put up with the yellow jaggies on the program selector though, but "Corporate" is not too bad.)

David

Thanks. This provides more clues. Forgetting about TiVo for a moment, you also said that burning EyeTV files in Toast 8 - without re-encoding - gets you jerky video that isn't happening in Toast 7. Is that the case?

I'm sorry this is so puzzling.

I still put forth that it's a bug in Toast in combination with certain DVD players.

Hello,

I've got the same problem.

I've got two mpg-files exported by EyeTV (DVB). I've tried different ways to craete a dvd:

1. Create dvd with toast 8.01: »jerky« video

2. Create dvd with toast 7.12: »jerky« video

3. Create dvd-image with sizzle 0.5 an burned it with toast: runs fine, no »jerky« video

4. Create dvd with toast 6.1: runs fine, no »jerky« video

Every time I used the same mpg-files, the same computer, the same dvd-burner (pioneer 109) and the same disk (DVD+RW, brand »Tevion«, made by Ricoh)

So I think, it must be a bug of toast 7 and toast 8

fjhaas,

The bug first appeared for me in Toast 7.1. If you can go back to Toast 7.0.2 you'll find that the DVDs play fine. The only problem I have is that with the latest OSX I get jaggy yellow selection boxes in the DVD menu. :angry2:

Orcadian

I agree it is a bug in Toast.

I picked up a new Sony DVD player this weekend (DVP-NS75H). I played a couple of discs burned with toast from eyttv that produced the stutter on my prior Samnsung DVD player. On the brand new Sony, the stutter was reduced enough to make the DVDs watchable, but it was still definitely noticeable. There is a problem in the software.

Archived