No Preview Pannel

gdadmike@midsouth.rr.com

Question

I have used EMC 5 and EMC 7 and they worked great. I use them them to make slide shows most of the time. I upgraded to EMC 8 about 3 weeks ago and have not been able to use it for a slide show yet. I left EMC 7 installed because I have a lot of saved shows that I need. Everthing seems to work except the Preview pane. It is Black all the time and that make the program useless. I have two computers they are both the same. HP pavilion a645c with an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 2.20GHz processer and 1024 MB of Ram. Both have Windows XP Home with all updates including SP2. I have tried installing EMC 8 on both computers and have the same problem on . both computers. One has Norton antiviris 04 and the other has Norton antiviris 06. I have installed EMC 8.5 updade as well as updated all other software, video cards and operating systems. Could someone help me figure out where the Preview pannel is.

12 answers to this question

Either of the biggies will work - nVidia or ATI. If you can afford it, get one with 256 MB on board the card. At the minimum, get one with 128 MB. Some people have reported problems with some ATI cards but I have a 128 ATI AIW and it works great. V8 can use it to capture and you have the benefit of watching TV on it should you get board. Just don't do that when you are capturing or rendering.

Thanks for the reply.

I was wondering if the video card could be the problem. I will put a new card and see if that works. Do you have any recomendations as to which card.

I have used EMC 5 and EMC 7 and they worked great. I use them them to make slide shows most of the time. I upgraded to EMC 8 about 3 weeks ago and have not been able to use it for a slide show yet. I left EMC 7 installed because I have a lot of saved shows that I need. Everthing seems to work except the Preview pane. It is Black all the time and that make the program useless. I have two computers they are both the same. HP pavilion a645c with an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 2.20GHz processer and 1024 MB of Ram. Both have Windows XP Home with all updates including SP2. I have tried installing EMC 8 on both computers and have the same problem on . both computers. One has Norton antiviris 04 and the other has Norton antiviris 06. I have installed EMC 8.5 updade as well as updated all other software, video cards and operating systems. Could someone help me figure out where the Preview pannel is.

What specific video card do you have, and what driver did you update it to?

Just to verify, as part of the 'Windows' updates, that includes DirectX9c, correct?

Just to verify, as part of the 'Windows' updates, that includes DirectX9c, correct?

Thanks for replying. I am use ing the video card that came with the computer, VIA/S3G Unichrome IGP. Driver Verson 6.14.10.0212-16.94.42.16. Directx was updated to 9.0c.

Thanks for replying. I am use ing the video card that came with the computer, VIA/S3G Unichrome IGP. Driver Verson 6.14.10.0212-16.94.42.16. Directx was updated to 9.0c.

That video is built into the motherboard. From what I have been able to find from googleing around, it is not t DirectX9 compatible, which EMC8 requires to do video work with. You'll need to upgrade to a new Video Card in order to be able to correct your current 'preview panel' issue and for any of the Video related parts of EMC8 to function correctly.

Thanks for the reply.

I was wondering if the video card could be the problem. I will put a new card and see if that works. Do you have any recomendations as to which card.

Either of the biggies will work - nVidia or ATI. If you can afford it, get one with 256 MB on board the card. At the minimum, get one with 128 MB. Some people have reported problems with some ATI cards but I have a 128 ATI AIW and it works great. V8 can use it to capture and you have the benefit of watching TV on it should you get board. Just don't do that when you are capturing or rendering.
You may find this article interesting. It looks like it's related to video work and ATI vs NVidia cards. Haven't had a chance to read thru it yet, but it may have some useful info for you.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1916994,00.asp

I am currently having MAJOR problems with EMC8 as well. No preview pane has ever shown anything, during capture, review, or edit....never seen anything (Win2KSP4 is updated completely, SIS 315 video card most current drivers, DirectX 9C {all tests in 'dxdiag' ran properly}, updated EMC8 to 8.05)

I also receive several error messages when trying to edit in MyDVD/Video Wave 8. Most common:

.\IPEBase.cpp(1193):***Error NULL = pComposition.p (Expanding the details box reveals no additional information.)

Also, I don't think it's hardware related, because this freeware program www.videoDVDmaker.com worked fine (just not enough editing capability)

Honestly, I don't even think I'm going to keep EMC8, it's been very frustrating. I'm going to try and get my money back. My real question is:

Can anyone suggest a DV capture, edit, render, burn programs for Win2KSP4? (that actually work :) )

Thanks!

I am currently having MAJOR problems with EMC8 as well. No preview pane has ever shown anything, during capture, review, or edit....never seen anything (Win2KSP4 is updated completely, SIS 315 video card most current drivers, DirectX 9C {all tests in 'dxdiag' ran properly}, updated EMC8 to 8.05)

I also receive several error messages when trying to edit in MyDVD/Video Wave 8. Most common:

.\IPEBase.cpp(1193):***Error NULL = pComposition.p (Expanding the details box reveals no additional information.)

Also, I don't think it's hardware related, because this freeware program www.videoDVDmaker.com worked fine (just not enough editing capability)

Honestly, I don't even think I'm going to keep EMC8, it's been very frustrating. I'm going to try and get my money back. My real question is:

Can anyone suggest a DV capture, edit, render, burn programs for Win2KSP4? (that actually work :) )

Thanks!

That video card does not support the components of DirectX 9C that are required to run the software. You need to upgrade your video card.

That video is built into the motherboard. From what I have been able to find from googleing around, it is not t DirectX9 compatible, which EMC8 requires to do video work with. You'll need to upgrade to a new Video Card in order to be able to correct your current 'preview panel' issue and for any of the Video related parts of EMC8 to function correctly.

Thanks for the reply.

That video card does not support the components of DirectX 9C that are required to run the software. You need to upgrade your video card.

Thank you for your suggestion (something I was thinking about doing anyway).

What still confuses me is that I have DirectX 9C installed, when I run the 'diagnostic' tests in RUN -> dxdiag, all tests work fine. Is the diagnostic not thorough enough to reveal an incompatability w/ the video card & DirectX 9c?

What affordable video card would you suggest, or what do I have to look for to obtain total compatability w/ DirX9c and therefore EMC8 to work?

As for the other suggestion... I have tried all versions of drivers for my video card and none work :)

Thanks

I am still working on a capture problem with my computers and may add a new video card today to see if that works. But I have tried something else. I went back to an old driver for my vidio card. (6.14.10.113). This fixed my preview problems and I have used EMC 8 to make some slideshowes. The only thing is that automated update wants to put the newer driver back in. Every time it does I have no Preview. When I put 6.14.10.113 back in the preview is fine. You might try an older driver. It worked for me. I am still working on the capture problem but everything else in EMC 8 works as for as I can tell.......Gdadmike@midsouth.rr.com

What still confuses me is that I have DirectX 9C installed, when I run the 'diagnostic' tests in RUN -> dxdiag, all tests work fine. Is the diagnostic not thorough enough to reveal an incompatability w/ the video card & DirectX 9c?

What affordable video card would you suggest, or what do I have to look for to obtain total compatability w/ DirX9c and therefore EMC8 to work?

As for the other suggestion... I have tried all versions of drivers for my video card and none work :huh:

Thanks

Dxdiag runs the basics of DirectX 9C. It doesn't do a total test. EMC 7.0, 7.5, and 8.0 use more features of the DirectX drivers, and there are alot of cards out there that don't support the full features. Most of them are integrated video chips on the motherboard.

The card that I have in my computer works well. I think that I paid around $120 for it, about 6 months ago. There are many out there that are much better, but since I am not a gamer, I have no need to mortgage my house to get one. :)

If you have an AGP slot, then get an AGP card. If you don't have an AGP slot, you will have to get a PCI card, but make sure that you don't get a PCIe card. The PCIe is the newest technology, and they won't work in a regular PCI slot.

Also, make sure that the card has a minimum of 128MB of memory.

As for the other suggestion... I have tried all versions of drivers for my video card and none work :)

Thanks

I finally installed an 'ATI ALL-In-Wonder 2006 edition, 256 MB ram, AGP' video card. This seems to work so far. I still have the problem of not being abled to use the 'CAPTURE' feature. It cuts itself off when you try to use it. I go back and use EMC 7 or some other program to capture video and then I can use EMC 8 to edit it. I'll bet it is some kind of conflect between EMC 7 & Emc 8 but I am just going to have to live with it because I have a lot of saved projects that I need EMC 7 to run. Everything else seems to work alright so far, 2/23/06. The ALL-IN-Wonder video card comes with free software,'Pinnacle Studio Version 9'. That software does a good job on some of if not all the work I bought EMC 8 to do, so I think the video card was a good investment.

Archived