• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

software or hardware render?

bmoney69

Question

ok, will this setting effect the quality of the finished DVD? it effects how well the program runs and how fast it encodes i know, but other then the time it takes to encode the files, will it actually effect the quality of the finished DVD when it's played on a TV?

15 answers to this question

ok, will this setting effect the quality of the finished DVD? it effects how well the program runs and how fast it encodes i know, but other then the time it takes to encode the files, will it actually effect the quality of the finished DVD when it's played on a TV?

When I burned a DVD with Software Rendering, the DVD movies come out well and I had no complaints. It played well both on the computer and a SONY DVD player to a SONY XBR TV. I had an ATI Radeon 8500DV when I did the software rendering. I could not render with Hardware because I guess this card is not good enough for that.

At this point, I bought an ATI Radeon 9550.

When I tried using Hardware Rendering (with the ATI Radeon 9550) and burned a DVD, followed by playback of the DVD on the computer screen it looked good. When I played the DVD on the same SONY DVD player to same SONY XBR TV, mentioned above, the movie was jerky and really a pain on the eye.

Any ideas on why this happens?

Regards.

When I burned a DVD with Software Rendering, the DVD movies come out well and I had no complaints. It played well both on the computer and a SONY DVD player to a SONY XBR TV. I had an ATI Radeon 8500DV when I did the software rendering. I could not render with Hardware because I guess this card is not good enough for that.

When I tried using Hardware Rendering (with the ATI Radeon 9550) and burned a DVD, followed by playback of the DVD on the computer screen it looked good. When I played the DVD on the same SONY DVD player to same SONY XBR TV, mentioned above, the movie was jerky and really a pain on the eye.

Regards.

You could try different media. Also, before burning to a DVD, defrag your hard drive, and get rid of any malware/spyware you have on your computer.

Also, reboot before you burn, and don't touch your computer while the software is going through the encoding process.

Whooooops - me bad

yeah, got the drivers from the nvida site. i'll unistall all and try again. now, then i put the new card in, the directions were to uninstall the drivers for my old card. however, my old card is on the board and the drivers didnt' show up in the programs screen? how do i access drivers for a an on board video card?

my old card is on the board and the drivers didnt' show up in the programs screen? how do i access drivers for a an on board video card?
Sometimes the old drivers aren't listed in the Control Panel/Add-Remove Apps. Just make sure the on-board video is turned off in the BIOS before adding the new card. With newer computers, thta is automatic and you don't have to go into the BIOS. But never hurts to check.

Once the on-board video is turned off, the driver will NOT load so nothing to worry about removing them.

Regards.

To add to what Bruce suggested, try burning the disc at the lowest speed available. I have a Panasonic TV top DVD player that plays DVDs just as you described, jerky, when I burn at any speed greater than 4X. If I burn at 4X or lower, the DVD plays fine. Just something else to try.

To add to what Bruce suggested, try burning the disc at the lowest speed available. I have a Panasonic TV top DVD player that plays DVDs just as you described, jerky, when I burn at any speed greater than 4X. If I burn at 4X or lower, the DVD plays fine. Just something else to try.

Thanks, Steve. I rarely burn at anything above 8x. Some burners balk at 8x, so 4x is the best bet.

Not normally - it just will take longer to finish the render as you pointed out.

What you can do before burnuing is to check the iso by loading it up in the virtual drive and having a look at it and see if it's fine or fit for the recycle bin

Thanks, Steve. I rarely burn at anything above 8x. Some burners balk at 8x, so 4x is the best bet.

Burn speed is a topic near and dear to my heart, Bruce. Unfortunately, my trusty Pioneer burner finally died (no shame for it, it served me well) so I had to replace it. The lowest speed available on my new burner is 6x for DVD-R media, however, so my Panasonic DVD player constantly skips when playing DVDs burner at that speed. Went out and bought a new, cheap DVD player that so far has played everything I have thrown at it just fine.

This is a very good suggestion and I think you may have hit the nail on the head. The DVD recorder I have goes up to 12x. The disk (media) itself says it is 2.4x but it also mentions that it can go up to 8x. When I tried initially, with the good DVD, I forced the recording at 2.4x but on the second try I thought it would be nice to have it done faster and the DVD with the jerky recording was done at 8x.

Thanks again. I'll post the results here.

Regards.

Your welcome. The suggestion was just my experience, sometimes it works for other users, sometimes it doesn't. Please do post back with the results.

Not normally - it just will take longer to finish the render as you pointed out.

What you can do before burnuing is to check the iso by loading it up in the virtual drive and having a look at it and see if it's fine or fit for the recycle bin

cool...thanks. the thing is this.....i have a g-force 6200 vid card that should be fine for rendering correct? it keeps delaulting to software and if i force it to hardware, the program runs soooo much faster and smoother, but now i'm getting errors while encoding the menus during the burn process. i updated to direct x9c and also updated my video driver. any suggestions?

It could be the card just isn't man enough for the job, but did you try updating the video drivers from ATI?

Uninstall the existing ones first, force windows into the basic, ugly VGA mode and then install the new ones

If that still fails on hardware, maybe a better card would be needed

It could be the card just isn't man enough for the job, but did you try updating the video drivers from ATI?

Uninstall the existing ones first, force windows into the basic, ugly VGA mode and then install the new ones

If that still fails on hardware, maybe a better card would be needed

From NVidia, not ATI. :)

This is a very good suggestion and I think you may have hit the nail on the head. The DVD recorder I have goes up to 12x. The disk (media) itself says it is 2.4x but it also mentions that it can go up to 8x. When I tried initially, with the good DVD, I forced the recording at 2.4x but on the second try I thought it would be nice to have it done faster and the DVD with the jerky recording was done at 8x.

Thanks again. I'll post the results here.

Regards.

Archived