• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

blue screen

hrodkin

Question

When I booted up this morning the computer crashed and I got the blue screen. When i rebooted I was directed to Microsoft and got the following as cause of the crash. I'm using Roxio Record Now Plus.

"Problem caused by Sonic Solutions CD/DVD Recording Software Component (DRVMCDB.SYS)

This problem was caused by Sonic Solutions CD/DVD Recording Software Component (DRVMCDB.SYS). Sonic Solutions CD/DVD Recording Software Component (DRVMCDB.SYS) was created by Sonic Solutions."

• Answers 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HEY EXCUSE ME FOR BUYING A COMPUTER WITH ROXIO'S PRODUCT IN IT, BUT WHY ALL THE SECRECY AND VERIFY, ETC. IT'S NOT LIKE ANYONE IS ASKING YOU TO PERSONALLY FIX THEIR SYSTEM.

BECUASE OF THIS PIECE OF ^#!& DRIVER FILE, MY SYSTEM HAS BEEN DOWN FOR 3 WEEKS AND I'VE PROBABLY LOST ENOUGH WORK TO BUY 5 OR 6 NEW LAPTOPS. ROXIO'S MAKING PLENTY OF CASH ON THE SOFTWARE DISTRIBUTION, SO PLEASE POST, OR HAVE ROXIO POST, THE FIX IN A PROMINENT PLACE. THEN INSTEAD OF ALL THIS BS, YOU CAN JUST PUBLISH ONE MESSAGE, WITH A LINK, AND THAT'S IT.

THANK YOU. AND SORRY FOR BEING RUDE, BUT I THINK ON THIS EASTER SUNDAY, IT SEEMS THE RIGHT TIME TO JUST CUT TO THE CHASE AND SAY "JESUS CHRIST, JUST FIX THE #$^@ PROBLEM, OK?"

RIGGSCO

Before this gets out of hand, take note before posting:

1) This software fix I'm sending out on a per user basis fixes a blue screen or error messages relating to SSRTLN.SYS or DRVMCDB.SYS. Nothing else.

2) This fix only applies to Windows XP. Vista users - you should see this: http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000131CR

3) If you received this problem just after a Windows update please see the above link, the fix may not help for this problem. Check the article for details.

UPDATE (2/26) - Due to the popularity of this thread, I will now have to require a registered email address to ensure your ownership of the software. You register the software the first time you open it so you may be registered and not even know it. Otherwise, in any Sonic application go to Help -> Register. If you do not want to post your email address on this public forum, please send me a PM with your email address and I'll respond with the link, assuming everything checks out.

Doc and Ladytech, I sent you an PM

Sorry I couldn't take care of these sooner.

Misham, imtired, grimmer, eldarn, coreopsis, phenning, bobcasey - You all have PMs.

Let me know if I missed anyone

Rms - like sknis posted, your problem does not apply to this fix. Applying this fix could very likely make matters worse. DLA is unsupported in Vista. You should uninstall it immedietely.

Believe I have the same problem:

MyDVD studio 6.1 on Vista

3 different blue screens:

SSRTLN.sys

BAD_POOL_CALLER

REFERENCE_BY_POINTER

Some blue screens sare related to DVD eject

Thanks - Please send fix if it will help

Everyone who has sent me a PM will get a response today with the fix.

For people who are reading this seeking a resolution, please contact Technical Support. I am leaving Sonic and will no longer be responding to posts on the forum or to private messages so please don't be offended if you don't hear back from me.

Good luck

For individuals having this issue, please see the following KB article:

http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/DLA/000012DL

Hello,

Does Roxio have a patch that fixes the BSOD problem on boot up? My blue screen points to the file drvmcdb.sys as being the cause of the problem. If Roxio has a patch, how can I get it?

Thank you for your help.

Andym

If you're experiencing the issue outlined in my post above then send me a PM and I can set you up with a solution.

In the meantime, your issues are being caused by DLA. If it's driving you insane, unininstall it and you shouldn't keep getting these errors. If you do, that means it's something else.

Hello Kevin.

Yep... I get the blue screen of death too, but only recently and repeatedly.

I have not installed any new hardware on the computer.

The machine is a Dell Dimension XPS Gen 3 that came preloaded with

Sonic Record Now. The operating system is windows xp media edition.

The BSOD error message points to DRVMCDB.SYS.

So anything you can do woul be greatly appreciated.

1) This software fix I'm sending out on a per user basis fixes a blue screen or error messages relating to SSRTLN.SYS or DRVMCDB.SYS. Nothing else.

2) This fix only applies to Windows XP. Vista users - you should see this: http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000131CR

3) If you received this problem just after a Windows update please see the above link, the fix may not help for this problem. Check the article for details.

My long stable Sonic RecordNow! Plus Version 7.3 (build 730B56C) had never ever caused any observed problem. This morning my XP Pro SP2 crashed and rebooted. It displayed a message stating that Window had recovered from a serious problem, and offered to send in an error report. When I allowed it to do so it reported back that the "Problem caused by Sonic Solutions CD/DVD Recording Software Component (DRVMCDB.SYS)". Then it stated that I should "Contact Sonic Solutions about upgrades or other possible solutions."

Does a patch exist for this problem, and is so how may I obtain the fix?

Hi

I've sent you a PM twice about this problem requesting the fix but I haven't heard anything and this is a major problem for me. Could you please email me the fix or post a link to it today/ tomorrow as i can't continue on like this.

Regards,

Fionn

:(

I've got the same problem. Could I get the link...?

Thanks,

grimmer

Believe I have the same problem:

MyDVD studio 6.1 on Vista

3 different blue screens:

SSRTLN.sys

BAD_POOL_CALLER

REFERENCE_BY_POINTER

Some blue screens sare related to DVD eject

Thanks - Please send fix if it will help

Please read above what this is a fix for. Those error messages are NOT the ones you posted. Applying non-applicable fixes will screw you up more.

Please read above what this is a fix for. Those error messages are NOT the ones you posted. Applying non-applicable fixes will screw you up more.

I was asking because of Kevin J's comment about SSRTLN.SYS as one of the symptoms that the fix is for. That is one of the blue screens in my list.

Turns out that DLA MAY be responsible for the BAD_POOL_CALLER. Found a reference in another thread about that and applied. We'll see if that is enough or if I'm seeing multiple problems.

Hope someone can help. I have the same problem as many others, I see. When I insert a DVD, I get the blue screen. It says the same as the others," Caused by DRVMCDB.SYS, etc, etc. I have tried the repair on the ADD/REMOVE and it did not help. Sure would appreciate some guidance on how to correct this. Can't play a DVD. Thank you.

My laptop just crashed on startup, with the error reported to Microsoft as being caused by SSRTLN.SYS .

I'm running Windows XP and as far as I know I have not installed any Sonic applications (!)

Add/Remove programs lists only Sonic Update Manager; my Programs Menu includes a Sonic folder that contains only Sonic Express Labeler.

So.. I have no products to register (this is a work computer that does not have a CD/DVD burner).

How do I prevent this crash from happening?

thanks

Unfortunately this is a known issue that requires a new installer. I have sent you a private message with a new download.

Sorry for the inconvenience, no one likes blue screens.

I have the same problem and have tried desperately to correct it - the message I receive from Windows Error Reporting is "Problem caused by Sonic Solutions CD/DVD Recording Component (DRVMCDB.SYS)

I have Sonic MyDVD loaded for copying and backup but if this continues will have to seek more stable solution! Unfortunately here in Spain it is more difficult to find reliable solutions!

I am also getting the blue screen and am unable to boot since erasing pxhelp20.sys and drvmcdb.sys from my driver folder. I found pxhelp20.sys on my installation disk and copied it to the driver folder (with the XP repair option and command prompt) but I can't find drvmcdb.sys anywhere. Could you possibly send me a copy of the drvmcdb.sys file? I can't boot up without it.

---------------------------

(Edited 2/22/07) I got the driver from another EMC8 user, so you can ignore this request.

Everyone who has sent me a PM will get a response today with the fix.

For people who are reading this seeking a resolution, please contact Technical Support. I am leaving Sonic and will no longer be responding to posts on the forum or to private messages so please don't be offended if you don't hear back from me.

Good luck

When I booted up this morning the computer crashed and I got the blue screen. When i rebooted I was directed to Microsoft and got the following as cause of the crash. I'm using Roxio Record Now Plus.

"Problem caused by Sonic Solutions CD/DVD Recording Software Component (DRVMCDB.SYS)

This problem was caused by Sonic Solutions CD/DVD Recording Software Component (DRVMCDB.SYS). Sonic Solutions CD/DVD Recording Software Component (DRVMCDB.SYS) was created by Sonic Solutions."

Did you recently install another similar program that might conflict with RecordNow?

Try a repair install and see if that helps.

Archived