• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Can't get roxio help

roodester

Sirs:

I have been trying to solve a roxio problem for several weeks now and I'm getting very frustrated.

The problem: Roxio Media Creator 7. Abruptly I began to receive an error message when I try to burn a CD such as a back up or a copy. It reads "The use of current the target medium is not recommended with the current target device [ox20000013]"

Its not gramatically accurate and no where in the help programs does it define what that means.

The burner is a Samsung that came with the computer and functions well with the computer, burns with Sonic, and "trouble shoot" claims it is functioning perfectly. I found some help from this Roxann and followed the directions - ie uninstall and reinstall (x2) enabled DMA (whatever that is), and asked my tech support at Dell ( they wanted to reboot the computer to factory settings - I refused because it would require a least three day's work to re-configure my computer). There are some things I was afraid to do like reinstalling burner firmware etc because I really don't know what I am doing there and afraid to mess the whole thing up.

I've tried to contact online support but can't seem to make the connection. I've filed a Thread for support and get no response from Roxio. I'm adrift and drowning in an ocean of technical data.

Can anyone give me a hand? Can anyone give me some advice?

Help

roodester

Good question Larry---My guess and suggestion is that you need to update your drive firmware. You suggested that you didn't want to do this fearing you would mess up the whole drive. I suggest going to the Samsung website, finding your particular model drive and then see if they have a firmware update for it. If you don't feel comfortable installing the new firmware file yourself, see if you can get someone else that knows what to do, to install it for you. Updating firmware is not that hard. Just read the directions carefully and make sure that no other programs are running and that there is no media in the drive and you should be good to go.

Frank...

Sirs:

I have been trying to solve a roxio problem for several weeks now and I'm getting very frustrated.

The problem: Roxio Media Creator 7. Abruptly I began to receive an error message when I try to burn a CD such as a back up or a copy. It reads "The use of current the target medium is not recommended with the current target device [ox20000013]"

Its not gramatically accurate and no where in the help programs does it define what that means.

The burner is a Samsung that came with the computer and functions well with the computer, burns with Sonic, and "trouble shoot" claims it is functioning perfectly. I found some help from this Roxann and followed the directions - ie uninstall and reinstall (x2) enabled DMA (whatever that is), and asked my tech support at Dell ( they wanted to reboot the computer to factory settings - I refused because it would require a least three day's work to re-configure my computer). There are some things I was afraid to do like reinstalling burner firmware etc because I really don't know what I am doing there and afraid to mess the whole thing up.

I've tried to contact online support but can't seem to make the connection. I've filed a Thread for support and get no response from Roxio. I'm adrift and drowning in an ocean of technical data.

Can anyone give me a hand? Can anyone give me some advice?

Help

roodester

Read this thread:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...amsung+firmware

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's an update on this line trying to get my roxio 7 to burn.

Grandpabruce, I followed the line you suggested nut came up with a snag. My Dell 8700 refuses to update my Samsung SW 252S burner's software to V 953. I tried to get that "updater" program from dell and am not quite sure of what it is or where to get it. The help at dell didn't seem much help. When I tried to update through Dell, the update program claimed I had a SW 352F burner instead of what is actually in the computer.

The best I can figure it out, the program was "talking" to the SW 252S before and then I had a major computer failure (lost all sorts of data) and had to to a factory reset. When that happened, I'm surmizing that some old firmware was reinstalled. Some event must have happened to "abruptly" change the computer's function.

I found the Samsung V 953 firmware but the computer claims it is not compatible with the SW 252S burner. I'm going to have to re-address the issue with Dell - I still have warrentee on it.

I know the roxio program is good. It has worked well with a Sony external burner.

If anyone else has any more suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks

Roodester

Well, here's an update on this line trying to get my roxio 7 to burn.

Grandpabruce, I followed the line you suggested nut came up with a snag. My Dell 8700 refuses to update my Samsung SW 252S burner's software to V 953. I tried to get that "updater" program from dell and am not quite sure of what it is or where to get it. The help at dell didn't seem much help. When I tried to update through Dell, the update program claimed I had a SW 352F burner instead of what is actually in the computer.

The best I can figure it out, the program was "talking" to the SW 252S before and then I had a major computer failure (lost all sorts of data) and had to to a factory reset. When that happened, I'm surmizing that some old firmware was reinstalled. Some event must have happened to "abruptly" change the computer's function.

I found the Samsung V 953 firmware but the computer claims it is not compatible with the SW 252S burner. I'm going to have to re-address the issue with Dell - I still have warrentee on it.

I know the roxio program is good. It has worked well with a Sony external burner.

If anyone else has any more suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks

Roodester

You need the Dell updater program to install the firmware from Samsung. If it no longer exists on the Dell site, take the Samsung out of your computer, and see how far you can throw it, outside. Then get a real burner. :)

take the Samsung out of your computer, and see how far you can throw it, outside. Then get a real burner.

Emmmm...... Bruce, his computer is still under warranty.

He might want to wait til he hears from Dell.

He's got a Sony external burner, so he has a backup for burning.

Read this complete thread....I think the post by Rich further down is the one you want to look hard at.

I had that burner and it lasted 3 years but was a piece of junk. Dell's not going to give you a new one OR a rebuilt one if it works with their preinstalled software (I bet it does) and not with other software you purchased later. That bites but that's the way they (and everyone else) operate.

Read this complete thread....I think the post by Rich further down is the one you want to look hard at.

I had that burner and it lasted 3 years but was a piece of junk. Dell's not going to give you a new one OR a rebuilt one if it works with their preinstalled software (I bet it does) and not with other software you purchased later. That bites but that's the way they (and everyone else) operate.

Wow, that thread is only a year old, and Dell is still putting that POS burner in their computers? I am glad that I build my own.

Wow, that thread is only a year old, and Dell is still putting that POS burner in their computers? I am glad that I build my own.

That's right! The new forum is over a year old. We forgot to wish it Happy Birthday too!

Archived