Failed To Prepare Media For CD-ROM or DVD ROM Compatability

Tocsin 28 Post

Question

:)This is the first time I have got this error "Failed To Prepare Media For CD-ROM or DVD ROM Compatibility" but it has me a bit puzzled as the CD, a CD-R 52x of the light scribe type, was readable with out any problems on a computer with out Roxio so it looked as it had done the process OK, that was "close to read on computer with out . . ." and with out any obvious error in the data.

As I said that is why I'm puzzled more than anything else as to why the error popped up in the first place and there dose not seem to be much any where about the error messages

9 answers to this question

It's an update for the Lightscribe software I believe - there's no updates for Roxio yet (we believe one is due showrtly, but no word yet)

BT and spam - I wish they'd filter those Indian call centres that keep waking me up on a Sunday morning trying to get me to take a new mobile contract :)

carful what you say I got kiked off tiscali forums for similar remarks I do understand how you feel about those very intelligen well train technicains in Bangalour !!!

Tocsin: I have run into this message too when playing with D2D. Or I have had it swear the media was closed but found it was not…

Other than keeping the media as Read Only, I have never seen where closing the media was necessary for reading it on another PC.

It has been reported to Roxio.

Unfortunatly I have no chose in the matter of making them readable on another PCwith out roxio or similar as I do line drawings for colouring books and etchings from photos for a local musem and the local council being what ther are won't allow anything like roixo on ther computers.

It's an update for the Lightscribe software I believe - there's no updates for Roxio yet (we believe one is due showrtly, but no word yet)

BT and spam - I wish they'd filter those Indian call centres that keep waking me up on a Sunday morning trying to get me to take a new mobile contract :huh:

Ah yes I'm with you now I've got that SOME WHERE and it should be installed I THINK. says me scarbbling about in a load of 8cm CDs

What part of the suite did you use to burn and what steps did you take?

Or where you labelling before a burn or what?

I use the drag and drop with the large Icon for want of abetter discription. This is my usuall methord.

I bid the label befor burning the files/data this too I have done befor with out problems

The drive that with lightscrbe is the HP DVD 940, External USB but the data was bunt using a Philips drive.

I can't comment on lightscribe really (I don't have that capability) but are you aware that there is a new driver out for it now?

Drag to Disc (which is what you are using) is, btw, notoriously unreliable for backup purposes. This isn't down to Roxio but an inherent weakness in packet writing s/w as a whole - Sonic DLA and Nero InCD are every bit as bad really.

If you want to do drag and drop, I'd recommend the built-in session writing software in XP itself (this can manage CDs but not DVD although I believe that it will be extended to DVD with Vista).

Normally what I do for transferring files is to set up a temp folder, copy the files I want into that, then use Creator Classic and make an image first and then open that with Disc Copy. This makes 100% certain that the CD is finalised and ready to be read on any other machine, no matter what OS it is using. A bit 'round the houses for a shortcut' I admit, but it hasn't let me down yet

I can't comment on lightscribe really (I don't have that capability) but are you aware that there is a new driver out for it now?

Drag to Disc (which is what you are using) is, btw, notoriously unreliable for backup purposes. This isn't down to Roxio but an inherent weakness in packet writing s/w as a whole - Sonic DLA and Nero InCD are every bit as bad really.

If you want to do drag and drop, I'd recommend the built-in session writing software in XP itself (this can manage CDs but not DVD although I believe that it will be extended to DVD with Vista).

Normally what I do for transferring files is to set up a temp folder, copy the files I want into that, then use Creator Classic and make an image first and then open that with Disc Copy. This makes 100% certain that the CD is finalised and ready to be read on any other machine, no matter what OS it is using. A bit 'round the houses for a shortcut' I admit, but it hasn't let me down yet

A new drive for Roxio or my drive? I've not seen or had any notification from either. But if you can point me to it I would be very greatfull. THANKS

PS sorr for the delay in the reply BT/Yhahoo is treating notifications to new/replies as SPAM

BT and spam - I wish they'd filter those Indian call centres that keep waking me up on a Sunday morning trying to get me to take a new mobile contract :)

What you describe is one of the few good uses for D2D…

If your customer has XP, they already have a packet reader as it is built into the XP OS. If they don't have XP, then every PW formatted disc includes a detection program and a PW Reader on the disc. It will ask before it installs.

Only other choice, at this time, would be to use Classic w/Sessions as Daithi described.

If you are not expecting to get these discs back, there is no reason not to use Classic and finalize the disc…

Bacon, Tomato, and Spam.....................................what a sandwich!

You don't want to take the p**s out of anything east of Instanbul............"Big Brother" is watching!!!!!!!!!

Tocsin: I have run into this message too when playing with D2D. Or I have had it swear the media was closed but found it was not…

Other than keeping the media as Read Only, I have never seen where closing the media was necessary for reading it on another PC.

It has been reported to Roxio.

Archived