• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Multiple problems with EMC 9 Suite - please help

guinness67

Question

I purchased this software on Saturday and have had multiple issues since. I am looking for assistance.

The first problem arose while attempting to create slideshow using the Slideshow Assistant. After spending approximately 15-20 minutes adding photos to the show, the Slideshow Assistant simply disappeared. This happened twice. I did a search of this forum and followed someone's advice, using VideoWave to create the show. Although it's unfortunate not being able to use the entire package that I purchased, I was still able to create projects.

That is until the Sonic CinePlayer decoder pack pop-ups began, basically paralyzing the system. Once again, I looked at this forum and found suggestions for similar problems. I uninstalled and then reinstalled everything today. Things were going fairly well until I attempted to add background music to a VideoWave project. Once I click My Music, the VideoWave project becomes unresponsive.

It does not appear that Sonic's on-line technical support is worth the time. I submitted a web ticket on the 22nd and an update on the 23rd and have not heard anything back. I bought this software because it was an option with the Dell computer I purchased just over a month ago. Since the "free" software that came with the computer wasn't providing me with what I wanted, I decided to purchase this. I am beginning to think that I just blew $99.99.

I am not a computer professional, however I think that I can correctly use most software (like EMC 9) when it is working correctly. I am looking for suggestions on what I can do to rectify this growing number of issues. Has anyone else had this background music problem? How did you fix it? Thanks.

I see people listing this information, so I will do the same:

Microsoft Windows XP

Media Center Edition

Version 2002

Service Pack 2

Dell Dimension DM061

Intel Pentium D CPU 280GHz

279GHz, 0.99GB RAM

25 answers to this question

I don't think that chipset is man enough for the job

I have noticed that there seem to be a number of people on this forum with EMC9 problems that are vaguely similar to mine. In your opinion are they related to the video cards they have installed? Should I just attempt to return the software if I don't care to upgrade my video card? My local retailer did not give me any reason to believe that my computer would not be able to handle the software. It sounds like there should be a big warning sticker on the box. If I am able to return this, are there any other products with similar features that would be a better fit for my computer?

I don't understand why, in my case, the VideoWave worked fine for a few days (it allowed me to add background music to a project) and now it won't. If it was an insufficient video card, would it have initially worked.

I don't want you to think that I am questioning you. In regards to computers, I am completely lost when the cover comes off. I am simply an end-user.

Thanks again!

Actually the minimum specs are set out in system requirements

• 1024x768, 16-bit color graphics card; 24-bit or 32-bit true color recommended

• DirectX 9 or higher compatible sound card and graphics card

and bear in mind - those are absolute MINIMUM specs - as in all apps, while it may work at those, it won't work well.

Now as to whether your dealer was aware of your computer specs when they sold you the software I can't comment because I simply don't know

However, that particular graphics chipset is known to be low spec and is quite likely the cause of the problems. This isn't the fault of Roxio - it's down to the computer manufacturer

Also, how do I found out what my computer has in relation to:

• 1024x768, 16-bit color graphics card; 24-bit or 32-bit true color recommended

• DirectX 9 or higher compatible sound card and graphics card

Thanks.

Usually they aren't that dear (for a 256 MB card)

What do I specifically need to look for?

Gary - he wanted to know what to look for in purchasing a new graphics card :)

Basically, one with as much memory as you can afford within your price range - all you need to check is what sort of slot you have inside the box

If there is a row of all white slots, it's PCI

If there's a brown one set back at the right hand side, it's AGP

If it's black, it's PCI-e

Also make sure your power supply can handle the card. The requirement will be marked on the new video card box. I am assuming that the card you are using now is integrated into the mother board.

I have the exact same Dell computer. And just added my first post before I read yours. I found somewhere that the video card is in the device manager (My computer, rt click, properties, hardware tab to device manager) and then display adapters and I have 2 listed both reading "Intel®G965 Express Chipset Family"

I also have downloaded directx 9 and uninstalled internet explorer 7. Mine was locking up (and shutting the program down losing my work) while I was adding chapter points to a vhs movie I brought in to the program.

I'd be curious to know if the video card is in fact the problem. I thought it might have to do with the fact my trial software is still loaded on the computer.

I have 2 listed both reading "Intel®G965 Express Chipset Family"

Me too. Does this mean that I need 2 new video cards?

To satisfy my curiosity, why does an inferior video card cause the program to lock up when I attempt to add background music in VideoWave? And why did it allow me to perform this task on three occasions before failing?

Thanks for your help.

Gary - he wanted to know what to look for in purchasing a new graphics card :)

Basically, one with as much memory as you can afford within your price range - all you need to check is what sort of slot you have inside the box

If there is a row of all white slots, it's PCI

If there's a brown one set back at the right hand side, it's AGP

If it's black, it's PCI-e

Close all applications. RIGHT mouse button click anywhere on the desktop and select PROPERTIES. Click the SETTINGS TAB. MINIMUM setting for Videowave is 1024X768 @16bit. 32bit color is highly recommended!!

My settings are 1280x1024 pixels and Highest (32 bit) color.

If you open the case, the wattage of the PSU is usually on a sticker - if it's less than 300W go for a higher one (they can go up to 500W commonly)

I found a sticker that said maximum output 305 W. Does that sound right? None of the other stickers had watts on them (or W for that matter).

I purchased this software on Saturday and have had multiple issues since. I am looking for assistance.

The first problem arose while attempting to create slideshow using the Slideshow Assistant. After spending approximately 15-20 minutes adding photos to the show, the Slideshow Assistant simply disappeared. This happened twice. I did a search of this forum and followed someone's advice, using VideoWave to create the show. Although it's unfortunate not being able to use the entire package that I purchased, I was still able to create projects.

That is until the Sonic CinePlayer decoder pack pop-ups began, basically paralyzing the system. Once again, I looked at this forum and found suggestions for similar problems. I uninstalled and then reinstalled everything today. Things were going fairly well until I attempted to add background music to a VideoWave project. Once I click My Music, the VideoWave project becomes unresponsive.

It does not appear that Sonic's on-line technical support is worth the time. I submitted a web ticket on the 22nd and an update on the 23rd and have not heard anything back. I bought this software because it was an option with the Dell computer I purchased just over a month ago. Since the "free" software that came with the computer wasn't providing me with what I wanted, I decided to purchase this. I am beginning to think that I just blew $99.99.

I am not a computer professional, however I think that I can correctly use most software (like EMC 9) when it is working correctly. I am looking for suggestions on what I can do to rectify this growing number of issues. Has anyone else had this background music problem? How did you fix it? Thanks.

Microsoft Windows XP

Media Center Edition

Version 2002

Service Pack 2

Dell Dimension DM061

279GHz, 0.99GB RAM

you have 90 days with support --call them at----1-866-279-7694---they helped me with burning hangups--i had to go to hp and and download new viedo drivers---be sure to register your program before you call them ---don't use hotmail for a e-mail address----open a yahoo e-mail address and you will be able to get e-mail from them ---you can't with hotmail----big mc

Microsoft Windows XP

Media Center Edition

Version 2002

Service Pack 2

Dell Dimension DM061

279GHz, 0.99GB RAM

It's looking like symptoms of a video chip. You didn't put that in your signature. What video card do you have, and do you have WMP 11 and Internet Explorer 7 installed?

It's looking like symptoms of a video chip. You didn't put that in your signature. What video card do you have, and do you have WMP 11 and Internet Explorer 7 installed?

I appreciate your response. I really do want this software to work as it seemed to be the most feature-rich that I could find.

I have WMP 10 installed. If you can tell me where to locate video card information I will forward that on. I'm not sure what version IE I am running, but would that make a difference?

Archived