My DVD vs DVD Builder

wv_wingman

Question

I have EMC 7.5 and have made several DVD picture slideshows with MY DVD. When I first bought the software I tried to use DVD builder on my system with 512 meg of ram and it didn't do very well. Either crashing or locking the computer up. Then I found MY DVD on my machine and started using it. It works pretty well. The only problem I have is making new copies of the slideshows. I give a lot of copies away so I make about 5-10 at a time. The system takes about 4-6 hours to build the movies before it is ready to burn the disk. I believe I need more ram to speed this up. It takes about 20-30 minutes to burn one disk. If I need to burn more at a later time I would like to be able to avoid having to let the system rebuild the movies because it seems they are already on the harddrive. If I could just burn a new copy without the 4-6 hour delay while building it would be great. Does anyone know how to do this?

I ahve always been a little confused about the MY DVD program that I assume got installed when I installed EMC 7.5. Is DVD builder a better one to use if I could get it to work? Is it faster? Why does it seem that My DVD is a red headed step child of Sonic's? Is it something they aquired and are not really pushing?

5 answers to this question

MyDVD is a Sonic product they added to Roxio's Easy Media Creator when they bought the software and name from the company then called Roxio, which in turn had bought the software and name from Napster and has since renamed itself Napster.

Try putting the show together in VideoWave, then import it to DVDBuilder.

Lynn

Since you're using MyDVD and are happy with the results, here's how to copy them easily.

Open Disk Copier which is included in EMC7. Put your DVD in the drive and then you can do one of two things.

# 1. Copy the DVD to an 'image file' on your hard drive. Then use that file and Disk Copier to make multiple copies of the DVD. You can make as many copies as you want. The only thing you have to do is replace the burned DVD with an unburned DVD. ( This is my preferred method because in case of an unexpected read or write error, you don't have to start from scratch. )

# 2. Copy directly from the DVD to DVD. The program will make a temporary 'image file' on your hard drive, but it will disappear if you have an error and have to start over.

Thanks for the quick reply,

I don't have a copy of any of the DVDs just what MY DVD put on the hard drive. The is a folder on the harddrive with all the slide mpeg and the fade effects mpeg already built so I was hoping that there was a way to bypass the building movie stage.

Whether this will work or not depends on if I've understood the problem.

It looks like you're using EMC 7.5 which includes MyDVD SLIDESHOW and want to burn DVDs, not CDs. Is that correct?

If so, in My DVD Slideshow, there is an option under the File menu to Save to a DVD folder on your hard drive.

Once you do that, you can open Disk Copier, click on Advanced, choose to burn from a DVD folder, choose Browse and find that folder on your hard drive. Click on the folder to open it, then click on the folder(s) with the silver disk on it. You should see the movie appear on the right hand side of the Disk Copier screen.

Now you can burn as many copies as you want to DVDs.

( Thanks for this question. I learned something from trying to help you. I didn't realize that My DVD Slideshow burned an (-edited- DVD) to the hard drive.)

Of course, if you have a different version, all this information is probably worthless. If it is, please give more information so that I can see if there is a solution. :)

Archived