Backup MyPc 2006 disaster CD

babytaz

Question

13 answers to this question

How the #%^%$#@ do I change it so I can burn the disaster recovery in cd instead of 1.4 floppy

please help or tell me what I should of used

You need the 4 floppies for booting/restore. The backup of the files themselves go to CD/DVD. At this point there is no way to not get the floppies. I hope that changes when they release the standalone package of version 7/2007 or whatever it will be called.

That is just incredibly wierd. I mean, first of all, I havent' seen a PC in YEARS that couldn't boot from a CD/DVD, and secondly, more often then not these days PC's aren't even COMING with floppy drives.

When I built mine, I made sure I had a floppy drive. Used mine the other day for a BIOS update. Much easier to create a boot floppy that can be reused, than a CD, even if I would have used a CD-RW, which I will not. Have a 5-6 of them, might as well throw them out.

When I built mine, I made sure I had a floppy drive. Used mine the other day for a BIOS update. Much easier to create a boot floppy that can be reused, than a CD, even if I would have used a CD-RW, which I will not. Have a 5-6 of them, might as well throw them out.

Truthfully, I wouldn't want a computer without a floppy drive. I use it at least a couple of times a week.

Ever tried installing XP with RAID or SATA without a floppy? You get nowhere fast. In fact, you can't even get an LS120 to do it - it's 'insert a floppy with the drivers' or you don't HAVE a SATA drive to install to

No-one has even given a hint of anything personal

The way Windows works it NEEDS a floppy drive - the fact that a lot of box shifters are selling computers without one is no help but you DO need that floppy

There is unfortunately no way round that

Ever tried installing XP with RAID or SATA without a floppy? You get nowhere fast. In fact, you can't even get an LS120 to do it - it's 'insert a floppy with the drivers' or you don't HAVE a SATA drive to install to

My notebook doesn't have a floppy drive and most of the newer ones don't.

I did the same. I probably always will. Just on principal. But the fact is that the majority of computer users use retail systems, and floppy drives are becoming less and less. On the other hand, it's been several years since I saw a system that could not boot from a CD.

Probably doesn't have SATA drive either ml :)

I did mean installing on desktops that only have a SATA drive - believe me no floppy = 'I can't find a hard drive'

Actually, modern BIOSes will overcome that with "legacy mode", which basically causes the SATA bus to emulate IDE. I know that Dell has had the option for at least a couple years now, so I'm assuming others probably do as well.

Now, getting it installed on a RAID configuration without a floppy, THAT can be tricky. Still, little known fact: you can, more often then not, use a flash drive to load the drivers.

All I do know for an absolute fact is that when XP 64 came along - it refused point-blank to accept the SATA drivers from other than a floppy - the MS forum was full of screams over that (quite a few people had to jury-rig a floppy into their computers) :)

Archived