• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Drives not recognized

Peter209

Hi, I've been looking through these posts trying to find an answer to my problem, which is essentially the same as the one here. However, this is a brand new computer and I know it's not the drive dying. It's happened to me before on other computers. Here's what happened:

My computer came with Roxio burning software in it. I used MY DVD LE to make a DVD. I played it on my TV and the sound sounded like mice, my cat ran behind the dvd player looking for the mouse. I tried other software I had from older computers, first some Nero that didn't work, then an old EZ CD DVD Creator 6. Once I put Creator 6 in, the computer doesn't think it can make DVDs any more. If you look in My Computer, it says it's a DVD-RW drive. If you stick a blank dvd in there, it says CD Drive and stops thinking it's a DVD drive. If you look in Device Manager, it says everything is fine. I tried reinstalling the drivers, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drive.

When this happened to me before at another house I was staying at, I just plugged in my old dvd burner and burned with EZ CD DVD 6. This computer is all different inside, the plugs in the back are small and black, it's not that wide grey ribbon anymore.

I don't know why I'm writing this, you're going to tell me to buy a new computer. This MUST be a fixable problem, I don't need a new dvd burner, I need this one to work.

Peter - it's never a good idea to 'tail-end' a thread. Your problem (once I can work out what you're asking) is totally different

The drive connections - you have a SATA motherboard and you want to fit an IDE drive - that won't work. You would need to get a SATA DVD-RW. While you can get a PCI card that will support an IDE drive, they aren't the best for working with DVDs

Your software - you said you had My DVD LE - that's OEM and whoever suplied the computer or drive it came with is responsible for upgrade and support

ECD6 - that is an old program and it wouldn't know what the drive is. There is no way that it can detect a modern drive (especially if it's a dual layer SATA)

Peter - it's never a good idea to 'tail-end' a thread. Your problem (once I can work out what you're asking) is totally different

The drive connections - you have a SATA motherboard and you want to fit an IDE drive - that won't work. You would need to get a SATA DVD-RW. While you can get a PCI card that will support an IDE drive, they aren't the best for working with DVDs

Your software - you said you had My DVD LE - that's OEM and whoever suplied the computer or drive it came with is responsible for upgrade and support

ECD6 - that is an old program and it wouldn't know what the drive is. There is no way that it can detect a modern drive (especially if it's a dual layer SATA)

Well no, this is the same problem I think. After I installed EZCD6, the computer no longer can burn cds or dvds, although it still plays them and recognizes the drive in Device Manager. EZCD6 ruined my computer and I don't want to send the whole computer back and get a new one, I want a simple fix because I'm certain there is one. I just got the computer Tuesday and EZCD6 ruined it on Friday. This should be something that Roxio deals with, I shouldn't have to get new hardware, that's bonkers.

I was able to resolve this problem by using the XP "system restore" function and going back one day before the Roxio install. It was still very painful, because after the restore, there were a few other things that didn't work right that I had to fix or re-install. I learned a lesson from this experience: read the software box closely for system compatability before doing an install. It is too bad the Roxio install software didn't automatically detect my drive and abort the installation, or at the very least, provide a warning.

Thanks again for the help !

I apologize for "tail-ending" again, but this is my problem too. I tried to do what you did and unfortunately I didn't have any restore points from before this happened, that was stupid of me. So I'm wondering, if I reinstalled Windows, would that fix it? I guess it would if a system restore did, right? Another Newbie question-- if I reinstall Windows, does that overwrite my other files on the c drive or not? I don't care too much either way if it gives me back my dvd recorder, the computer is only 4 days old. Thanks in advance for any insight any of you might have into this.

XP does have an affinity for losing drives whenever burning software is installed/uninstalled…

The first thing to try is removing the device in Device Manager and rebooting. Note if there is an error code in Device Manager before you remove the drive. If there is, you may have to go the Upper/Lower Filter fix from MS.

As Lynn noted, even if you get the drive recognized, you will not be able to use DL media with this old version of Roxio.

So this is an XP problem? What is the XP burning software you mentioned, where do I find that? I don't see it in the start menu.

Uggh, now since the last time I uninstalled it, when I start the computer, it either doesn't get to windows or it gets there and I get a popup asking me to put the Roxio disc in the drive. I do, I find the file it wants, then it says, the file is not a valid installation file for that program. But I'm not trying to install it. And the popups keep returning over and over. Ther weirdest thing is, the programs are lsited in add/remove programs, but when I try to uninstall them, I get those same popups over and over telling me I have to refer to files on the disc.

I also tried putting in the old disc for EZCD6 and that one it just doesn't have files with those names on. It's looking for MSI files, whatever those are, each of them named after the program in question.

Wow man, my whole computer is just ruined by this. Can anyone tell me if reinstalling Windows would make this even worse or maybe fix it? I already tried system restore, that might have just added to the problem. I don't know what else to do other than try to reinstall, does anyone else?

OK - go to add/remove programs and uninstall ECD

Thern download and run the MS Installer Cleanup tool

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Remove all mention of Roxio using that

After that you should be able to install either ECD6 or whatever it was you were using

it won't let me uninstall, it's the Roxio Creator MyDVD Combo LE for Dell XPS. It's installed according to add/remove programs but when I ask it to uninstall, I get locked in a loop of popups telling me I have to have the disc in the drive, which I already do. Then I locate the file it's asking me for by name, it thinks about it, tells me that's not the right file, and loops again. I'll try the MS cleanup tool though, that might help, thanks. Do you know if reinstalling Windows would help?

Archived