• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

WinXP Startup Different After Install R9

John T Smith

Question

Before I installed Roxio 9 my WinXP startup would go directly to my desktop

After install R9 it stops and makes me click on my name before completing startup

What did Roxio 9 do, and I do I get back to going directly to the desktop?

PS - only user, starting as Administrator, so installed WinXP to go directly on to desktop at startup, with no user clicks required

6 answers to this question

Before I installed Roxio 9 my WinXP startup would go directly to my desktop

After install R9 it stops and makes me click on my name before completing startup

Try this:

"Click Start, Run and type CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2, and click Ok. Select the user account from the list (the account to which you want to automatically logon). Uncheck Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer option, and click Ok. Type the user account password and complete the process."

X.

Hmm... I see that in the Users control, but since I have never SET anything there after my initial install of WinXP, I do wonder why installing R9 changed things?

Since I don't know what ASP.NET does, or why there is a "limited account" there (now... but not before R9?) I will do some searching to see if removing that account is going to maybe cause me problems in the future... it was, after all, installed by something (Roxio9?) so I need to do some research to figure out why the startup has suddenly changed

Thanks for the tip... now to Google and do some more reading so I understand what is happening

I couldn't answer whether or not .NET was installed by Roxio or not - I had it already installed (it's necessary for some programs) but I had a very good idea what happened when you said about the log-in.

Deleting the account is absolutely safe - you will be asked if you want to delete files belonging to it - I always said 'no' and left them just in case.

postscript:

I just checked on my installation program - DotnetFX.exe is included so it looks as if it does get installed

dotNET is needed for a variety of stuff - possibly the reason I didn't know it was installed is that I have both 1.1 and 2 on this machine.

It sits in the background and only comes into action if and when needed. It's only 'problem' is setting up that asp account which can be removed with no problems to the functionality

Archived