• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

can't play dvd's

leigh194

Question

i recently installed emc9 on my computer and now i am unable to play dvd's. emc9 is working fine but when ever i try to play a dvd windows media player tells me there is a digital copy protection error between my dvd drive, decoder, and video card. my graphics card is the ati radeon x1300 pro. would appriciate help with this problem.

22 answers to this question

try going back to windows media player 10 ---windows media player 11 has issues with emc9---big mc

you guys got any idea how to get rid of wmp11, i uninstalled it using add or remove programs which all went ok, to then find out while trying to reinstall wmp10 that it was still on my system, so i found the offending file in program files, opened it up and deleted the files inside and to my amazement after a few seconds the files reappeared again, must have deleted them like 50 times and they kept coming back, my computer has a mind of it's own! so at the mo am stuck with wmp11 as it won't let me install wmp10. 1 thing though my emc9 says on the box it is compatable with vista which i will be upgrading to and that uses wmp11??? so much for compatable.

If you can't play DVDs on XP, be prepared for even less on Vista

Fior a start the DRM is a LOT tighter so even if you could play them on XP, you'd find a fair number that did won't any more. Toss in that HD DVDs will be deliberately degraded (ask Sir Bill why on that one)

Then also bear in mind that MS is gonna charge you DOUBLE the US price for it (they seem to think that $389 is the same as £389 and we'd never notice that we're being ripped off)

btw - make that Guinness - I only ever drink zoider in Zummerzet (I acquired the taste while I was doing radar training in Locking) :)

So really what your all telling me is before i bought my current pc I had a choice between this dell and a apple mac, so really i should have chose the mac, but at least my upgrade to vista is free so i can avoid the high prices. I agree though tis a big rip off $389 being the same as £389, and bill was saying on bbc news this morning it was because of currency conversion rates!! Rip off merchant he is!

Forgot to add that to make matters worse i know have the terminal disease known as man flu, so now not only do i have computer problems i am also ill. perhaps i should just have hidden away from it all this month.

Still great to get a day off work.

So really what your all telling me is before i bought my current pc I had a choice between this dell and a apple mac, so really i should have chose the mac, but at least my upgrade to vista is free so i can avoid the high prices. I agree though tis a big rip off $389 being the same as £389, and bill was saying on bbc news this morning it was because of currency conversion rates!! Rip off merchant he is!

Forgot to add that to make matters worse i know have the terminal disease known as man flu, so now not only do i have computer problems i am also ill. perhaps i should just have hidden away from it all this month.

You should feel good that the extra money he's making on you will go to his philanthropic activities. Take a tax right off and label it 'polio shot for tots' and know you did a good thing. :)

Go get a glass and a large shot of Irish whiskey - add a slice of lemon, some cloves, a spoonful of honey and top with boiling water to make a glass of punch

Old Irish remedy (won't cure you, but drink enough and you forget you're sick) :)

this board is great not only do u get answers to computer problems but also remedies to fix the flu, if i got any whisky in the house i shull try that 1, though probably not a good idea to try whisky with all the medicines pumped into me, am a little high at the mo.

Hi people, thanks for all your help but i can now play dvd's on my computer, still can't use windows media player mind but i downloaded a free player called vlc media player and they play brilliantly on there. So I suppose u can say issue fixed! (no thanks to roxio support) Cheers again guys!!!!

So long as you got it working so you can watch stuff - that's the main thing

If you ever do a reformat and re-install with XP tho, now you know what NOT to update :)

btw - I actually use a freebie here as well - klite codec pack which comes with a player as well as a host of codecs - even plays Apple .mov files (which I never could get WMP to play)

There are probably more pages out there on getting rid of it - if you google for uninstall media player 11 you should get a lot of hits

I doubt if it will be fixed. From what I have heard the playback facilities on Vista are going to be even more restrictive (deliberate degradation of HD-DVD for a start)

Ok thanx mate will do that, u were much more helpfull than roxio e-mail support. Thanks again.

What OS are you using?

Also - what region is your player set to?

sorry should have included this, i am running windows xp media centre edition and i live in the uk so my dvd region is 2 though am currently not familiar enough with windows media player 11 to be able to check that will keep looking though.

Let us know how you get on.

There's always someone around the forum any time (so long as the beer holds out that is) :)

magners irish cider is what u want mate!!! and i will let u know how i get on, plus according to dell my free upgrade to vista home premium should be shipped soon so, happy days!

Forget WMP11 if you want to stay sane :)

A DRM warning is usually saying 'you aren't supposed to be watching this' and is almost always down to licensing - why you're getting it I don't know but personally I'd suspect Windows is doing it

Forget WMP11 if you want to stay sane :)

A DRM warning is usually saying 'you aren't supposed to be watching this' and is almost always down to licensing - why you're getting it I don't know but personally I'd suspect Windows is doing it

your probably right but my computer did play dvd's fine before i installed emc9, and that was with wmp11. i did have the sonis cineplayer dvd pack installed then but emc9 made me uninstall it as it was not compatable, do u think i should reinstall that and see if it works?

i recently installed emc9 on my computer and now i am unable to play dvd's. emc9 is working fine but when ever i try to play a dvd windows media player tells me there is a digital copy protection error between my dvd drive, decoder, and video card. my graphics card is the ati radeon x1300 pro. would appriciate help with this problem.

try going back to windows media player 10 ---windows media player 11 has issues with emc9---big mc

It's a bit more complicated than uninstalling IE7 but try here

http://www.kensavage.com/index.php/archive...edia-player-11/

thanks for the help guys but unfortunatley i am unable to roll back wmp11. the file it talks about in this article has been deleted on my computer by the program ccleaner so am kinda stuck with it, guess i will have to wait for roxio or microsoft to release a software update to fix this issue. Will have to put up with not being able to play genuine dvd's. very annoying though!!!

There are probably more pages out there on getting rid of it - if you google for uninstall media player 11 you should get a lot of hits

I doubt if it will be fixed. From what I have heard the playback facilities on Vista are going to be even more restrictive (deliberate degradation of HD-DVD for a start)

Archived