Unexpectedly Quit while burning

Atlantic

Question

My version of Toast 8 seems to frequently quit unexpectedly when I am burning files. I mainly burn from EyeTV, so it could be something to do with that (I tend to leave EyeTV running at the same time). It will do it whether I am burning direct to DVD or when it is saving as a disc image. I haven't had it quit on me while it has been burning a DVD image, which is why I think the EyeTV files could be an issue. I can't seem to find anyone else quoting the same issue. Has anyone else got this?

7 answers to this question

My Toast is still unexpectedly quitting, and I have even tried it on different machines. It will often complete an encoding correctly if I restart it with exactly the same settings. I have tried getting an upgrade version of Popcorn 3 to see if that helps, but this will do the same thing from time-to-time, though it doesn't create the skipping issue mentioned elsewhere, so I use that now. I now always first save a disc image then burn that, since I have never had Toast quit burning a disc image, and if it quits, then I can open the saved file and start the disc image generation process again. Unfortunately, Popcorn 3 will not let me save a project, so if it crashes while saving a disc image, I have to re-create the files and menus, etc. all over again (not great with 17 video tracks on one DVD where it has imported the wrong soundtrack, as well as having to re-create all the titles and the image for each track on the menus).

I have the latest EyeTV 2.5 software & I can not get some of my recordings to Save As Disc Image, somewhere during the process Toast 8.0.1 unexpectedly quits. This is even trying to do a disc image of a single recording. BTW should I be limiting the number of chapter markers I insert in EyeTV to an individual recording (this might be the issue with 1 recording which has 40 markers spread over 3+ hours).

Also how do I get my 16:9 recordings from EyeTV to stay 16:9 in Toast? If I force Toast into 16:9 then it does a stretched 4:3 but most of my recordings are 16:9 in EyeTV & they are ruined in Toast...

I really want to keep the chapter markers I set in EyeTV, version 2.5.2 is out now but it still doesn't fix data (timecode) breaks that can be fixed with MPEG Streamclip. It's so hit-&-miss as to whether EyeTV recordings can be properly encoded to a DVD image file in Toast 8.0.3 (w/o Toast finding problems with the MPEG TS files, which I'm assuming are data breaks), Elgato should be ashamed.

As for my recordings from the EyeTV Hybrid hardware they are all analog, that's what happens when you use a cable/satellite box (regardless of coaxial or composite or S-Video connection), only a coax connection to a digital antenna records proper 16:9 files in the EyeTV software (which I can accomplish on some but not all of my cable channels with a FireWire connection to the box). They play fine at 16:9 in EyeTV (or 4:3 or 14:9) but outside of EyeTV the only way is to export them (to say MP4) but you can understand that nobody wants to have to do that with all of their EyeTV recordings - and regardless the top is improperly cropped (which is not the case when viewing the files at 16:9 in the EyeTV software itself).

I really want to keep the chapter markers I set in EyeTV, version 2.5.2 is out now but it still doesn't fix data (timecode) breaks that can be fixed with MPEG Streamclip. It's so hit-&-miss as to whether EyeTV recordings can be properly encoded to a DVD image file in Toast 8.0.3 (w/o Toast finding problems with the MPEG TS files, which I'm assuming are data breaks), Elgato should be ashamed.

As for my recordings from the EyeTV Hybrid hardware they are all analog, that's what happens when you use a cable/satellite box (regardless of coaxial or composite or S-Video connection), only a coax connection to a digital antenna records proper 16:9 files in the EyeTV software (which I can accomplish on some but not all of my cable channels with a FireWire connection to the box). They play fine at 16:9 in EyeTV (or 4:3 or 14:9) but outside of EyeTV the only way is to export them (to say MP4) but you can understand that nobody wants to have to do that with all of their EyeTV recordings - and regardless the top is improperly cropped (which is not the case when viewing the files at 16:9 in the EyeTV software itself).

A good guess about what is happening in your case is that your EyeTV hybrid analog-source recordings have dropped frames. It is very difficult to maintain real-time MPEG 2 encoding in software rather than hardware. When Toast encounters a messed up GOP it is crashing rather than presenting an error message that the video cannot be processed. Unfortunately the "fix" for this issue is to use a hardware encoder such as the EyeTV 250 or 250+ or possibly getting a super-fast Mac.

You earlier asked about the number of chapter markers. There can be up to 99 chapter markers in a specific video title. As for maintaining 16:9 that is impossible when recording from analog sources. The DVR letterboxes the 16:9 video into a 4:3 frame with black bars on top and bottom when it sends the video through its analog outputs.

The way to get 16:9 video from a DVR is to capture the HD video via Firewire by using AVCVideoCap available as part of Apple's Firewire SDK25 (developer.apple.com). The captured video then needs to be converted to MPEG (no re-encoding is required) with Streamclip and then added to Toast. Toast re-encodes the video as standard definition anamorphic 16:9 and retains the original audio which is either 5.1 or 2.0 Dolby Digital. You can learn more about this Here.

I now think the problem is due to me trying to create one disc image after having created a previous one (or two) without quitting Toast first. Now, I save the file, then try to save as a disc image, and if it quits, I can get the settings back again (except for the ones that don't save when you save, such as the background picture for the menus). If I quit after each disc image is burned, I don't seem to have the problem. It is a nuisance since you don't know how much space will be used on a DVD until it is encoded (the indicator is not reliable) and I am often swapping recordings from EyeTV around to fit things on without re-encoding them to keep better quality (they are all digital recordings, and almost everything is in 16:9 anamorphic). Can other people reproduce this? I have swapped my version of Toast around three different Macs and they all exhibit it, including PowerPC, Intel, Tiger and Leopard. It also happens in Popcorn, though that is much more of a nuisance since you can't save any settings.

I have the latest EyeTV 2.5 software & I can not get some of my recordings to Save As Disc Image, somewhere during the process Toast 8.0.1 unexpectedly quits. This is even trying to do a disc image of a single recording. BTW should I be limiting the number of chapter markers I insert in EyeTV to an individual recording (this might be the issue with 1 recording which has 40 markers spread over 3+ hours).

Also how do I get my 16:9 recordings from EyeTV to stay 16:9 in Toast? If I force Toast into 16:9 then it does a stretched 4:3 but most of my recordings are 16:9 in EyeTV & they are ruined in Toast...

I'm guessing your EyeTV is a model that is recording the digital streams and not encoding MPEG video from analog. I haven't had any problem with Toast properly recognizing the 16:9 ratio. But if you are you can force the aspect ratio in Toast's Custom Encoder setting window. The video DVD limit for chapters within one title is 99. If you have more than that Toast ignores any chapters after it reaches the 99th one.

I'm having some odd issues with Toast and EyeTV. My workaround is to export the video from within EyeTV to a MPEG file and then use that exported file in Toast. I don't know if this will lose any chapter markers. If it does lose chapter markers then Toast will create its own chapter marker at 5 minute intervals on the video DVD.

Archived